lowering question.
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, lowering question. in Cadillac Escalade Forums; i have an 05 and the rear air ride crapped out, which is okay cause i was going to lower ...
  1. #1
    devanwon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 escalade
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Age
    32
    Posts
    26

    lowering question.

    i have an 05 and the rear air ride crapped out, which is okay cause i was going to lower it anyways... question is what kit
    should i go with? was thinking the eibach 3/3 drop?? i have 24's so keep that in mind :-) any help is always appreciated!!!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    mikedyk43's Avatar
    mikedyk43 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Anaheim, CA
    Age
    35
    Posts
    461
    Quote Originally Posted by devanwon View Post
    i have an 05 and the rear air ride crapped out, which is okay cause i was going to lower it anyways... question is what kit
    should i go with? was thinking the eibach 3/3 drop?? i have 24's so keep that in mind :-) any help is always appreciated!!!
    I have 2 inch drop spindles on the front and 3 inch drop springs on the rear. Don't bother with front torsion keys, if you want to lower the front further than the stock keys will allow, you will be maxing out the travel of the upper A-arms and destroy the upper ball joints. Front drop spindles are the only way to go! By the way, you can still have a functional air ride with it lowered, you just need to install shorter arms on the air ride sensors (I can go into more detail about this if you're interested). Here is a picture of my 2006 AWD with fully functional air ride. When I start it, the rear bags lift it only about a half inch in the rear.
    uploadfromtaptalk1330386153550.jpg

  4. #3
    devanwon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 escalade
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Age
    32
    Posts
    26

    Re: lowering question.

    Quote Originally Posted by mikedyk43 View Post
    I have 2 inch drop spindles on the front and 3 inch drop springs on the rear. Don't bother with front torsion keys, if you want to lower the front further than the stock keys will allow, you will be maxing out the travel of the upper A-arms and destroy the upper ball joints. Front drop spindles are the only way to go! By the way, you can still have a functional air ride with it lowered, you just need to install shorter arms on the air ride sensors (I can go into more detail about this if you're interested). Here is a picture of my 2006 AWD with fully functional air ride. When I start it, the rear bags lift it only about a half inch in the rear.
    Attachment 87319
    well my air shocks are shot and not sure if the compressor is shot or not so i assume just take it out and put in regular shocks....what drop did you use (brand) and obviously it didnt come with shocks as you reused your rear air ride...... so what did you pay also.

  5. #4
    mikedyk43's Avatar
    mikedyk43 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Anaheim, CA
    Age
    35
    Posts
    461
    Quote Originally Posted by devanwon View Post
    well my air shocks are shot and not sure if the compressor is shot or not so i assume just take it out and put in regular shocks....what drop did you use (brand) and obviously it didnt come with shocks as you reused your rear air ride...... so what did you pay also.
    They are both Belltech. I got the springs off eBay for $100 and the spindles from Craigslist for $150. I had to remove front and rear bump stops and I even had to cut the rear bump stop mounts off of the frame with an angle grinder. My rear end isn't that low, but you would be surprised how little travel there is before the axle hits the frame. With the mounts cut off, it rides smooth as stock again.

  6. #5
    devanwon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 escalade
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Age
    32
    Posts
    26

    Re: lowering question.

    Quote Originally Posted by mikedyk43 View Post
    They are both Belltech. I got the springs off eBay for $100 and the spindles from Craigslist for $150. I had to remove front and rear bump stops and I even had to cut the rear bump stop mounts off of the frame with an angle grinder. My rear end isn't that low, but you would be surprised how little travel there is before the axle hits the frame. With the mounts cut off, it rides smooth as stock again.
    sweet they have the belltech kits on ebay, i think with shocks also.... are the torsion key lifts no good???
    the eibach kit has the torsion keys...

  7. #6
    mikedyk43's Avatar
    mikedyk43 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Anaheim, CA
    Age
    35
    Posts
    461
    Quote Originally Posted by devanwon View Post
    sweet they have the belltech kits on ebay, i think with shocks also.... are the torsion key lifts no good???
    the eibach kit has the torsion keys...
    The torsion keys just allow you to lower the front further than the stock torsion keys. The problem is when you lower ONLY with torsion keys, the upper a-arm is swung up so high that it damages the upper ball joint and you will not be able the get your front camber corrected, meaning the tops of your front wheels will be tilted in. I know that the drop spindles are pricey when compared to the torsion keys, but trust me, without them you will wind up wearing out the front tires quickly. Then you will have to buy new front tires AND drop spindles.

  8. #7
    mikedyk43's Avatar
    mikedyk43 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Anaheim, CA
    Age
    35
    Posts
    461
    Don't forget that you will want shock extenders for the rear as well, unless you were planning on getting shorter shocks.

  9. #8
    TLMC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade 1969 ss396 chevelle
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    BOYNTON BEACH,FL
    Age
    60
    Posts
    75

    Re: lowering question.

    I bought a kit from DJM , came with 3" lower springs for rear and shock extenders. Torsion keys for front but mikedyk43 is right you can,t get a good alignment with the keys. I reinstalled factory keys as low as they would go and got a perfect alignment. I tricked the front and rear sensors by taking them off ( they snap on and off). Take one end cap off and you will see a grove in the rod cut at that point and glue end cap back on. Suspension works great at this position.

  10. #9
    dwayne007 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): EXT
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Age
    43
    Posts
    2

    Re: lowering question.

    Hey mikedyk43,
    I would love some more info on the shorter arms. I have a 03 EXT with 22's, but the back rides way high.
    How can I lower it like yours after the 3 inch drop springs on the rear?
    I have to trick the air ride. I still want it to work when I tow the boat

    Cheers,
    Dwayne007

  11. #10
    mikedyk43's Avatar
    mikedyk43 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Anaheim, CA
    Age
    35
    Posts
    461
    Quote Originally Posted by dwayne007 View Post
    Hey mikedyk43,
    I would love some more info on the shorter arms. I have a 03 EXT with 22's, but the back rides way high.
    How can I lower it like yours after the 3 inch drop springs on the rear?
    I have to trick the air ride. I still want it to work when I tow the boat

    Cheers,
    Dwayne007
    Yes, the shorter arms basically trick the air ride into thinking it is at the correct level when lowered. The easiest way to do this is to jack up the rear end, remove the rear tires and place jack stands under the rear axle so that the weight of the vehicle is still resting on the rear suspension. With the rear tires off, you will clearly be able to see the air ride height sensors (they are round with a single arm and a metal rod connecting them to the rear suspension). If you start the truck you can watch the rear end lift up and when it reaches it's stopping point, mark on the frame where the arm of the sensor is positioned. Now you can turn the vehicle off and allow the air ride to deflate. With the rear suspension all the way down you can now either cut the factory metal bars or what I did is find a long bolt of equal diameter that you can cut to length. What you want to do is make the metal connecting rod just long enough that the air ride height sensor is slightly above the position you previously marked when it was all the way up. You want it slightly higher so that the compressor turns on and inflates the airbags just a little. You may have to play with the length a little to get it where you want, so I suggest making it a little long at first and trim down gradually.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting