2005 Escalade Transmission Problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, 2005 Escalade Transmission Problem in Cadillac Escalade Forums; My close friend has a 2005 Escalade with about 75,000 miles. The transmission went out about 10 days ago. She ...
    kaycoggins is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Post 2005 Escalade Transmission Problem

My close friend has a 2005 Escalade with about 75,000 miles. The transmission went out about 10 days ago. She took it to a Mr. Transmission shop and they put a rebuilt transmission in it for about $2700. As soon as she got it back she noticed it shifts hard from first to second (auto transmission). She took it back and they said they put a part of some sort in and that she should just give it a week or two to break in. It is still shifting hard. About a month ago she had to put a new water pump on. And a month or so before that she put a new set of tires on it. She is now working a night job in addition to her day job just to pay the $2700 she put on her credit card. Can anyone tell us if the break-in answer they gave her is right, and if not what should she do. We obviously are women who don't know anything about a transmission. Thanks for any info or advice!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade

Re: 2005 Escalade Transmission Problem

i don't think it is right as mine doesn't shift hard from first to second it sounds like someone didn't the job right.

mikedyk43 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by kaycoggins View Post
    My close friend has a 2005 Escalade with about 75,000 miles. The transmission went out about 10 days ago. She took it to a Mr. Transmission shop and they put a rebuilt transmission in it for about $2700. As soon as she got it back she noticed it shifts hard from first to second (auto transmission). She took it back and they said they put a part of some sort in and that she should just give it a week or two to break in. It is still shifting hard. About a month ago she had to put a new water pump on. And a month or so before that she put a new set of tires on it. She is now working a night job in addition to her day job just to pay the $2700 she put on her credit card. Can anyone tell us if the break-in answer they gave her is right, and if not what should she do. We obviously are women who don't know anything about a transmission. Thanks for any info or advice!
    I would suggest taking to a Cadillac dealer and request to have a "real" assessment of this shifting problem. Explain the situation to the Cadillac mechanic so that he can tell you exactly what the problem is (in writing). After this you can take it to Mr. Transmission with an educated complaint and demand to get what you have paid for. I'm sure you are aware that there are mechanics that will attempt to take advantage of people they suspect are ignorant about automobiles, and women are often an easy target. If you are armed with the facts from the Cadillac mechanic, you have removed yourself from the list of people that can be taken advantage of in a situation such as yours.

Thank you. We realize she is likely being taken advantage of. I will pass along the suggestion you made. It makes sense!

----------

Thanks. I agree

glad we could help out and i hope you and your friend can get the problem solved.

zogg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade EXT

There is no way in the world tht a transmission has to be "broken in". I have had several rebuilt units installed and most shifted perfectly from the first start up. If you go to a Cadillac dealer for there diagnosis, it will cost you $100+.

I would take the vehicle back, nicely explain that it is not right and you want it repaired correctly. If they hedge, then you need to mention the BBB, the state attorney general, etc. If they give you the run-around, and they probably will, threaten to call the police and report it as a theft....they took your money and did not give you what you paid for.

Too often, the cheaper repair shops buy second rate rebuilt transmissions. I bought one from Autozone some years ago....went through three transmissions under warranty until I finally got one that shifted properly...use of inferior parts causes erratic or hard shifting.

$2700 is pretty inexpensive for an Escalade transmission, and the dealer would be closer to $5000....but there would be no issues. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Post Re: 2005 Escalade Transmission Problem

Thank you for sending this information. I am passing it along to my friend. I'm hoping she will follow your advice. Again, thanks so much!!

48548m is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): EXT
    Maybe they installed a transgo, shift kit? I installed the hd2 in my 4l60e and it did shift firm not that I minded.

Also forget this is a Cadillac... GM only makes a few transmissions... 4L60e-4l65e-4l70e are all about the same... 4l80e-4l85e. So when you look at cost look at the model not vehicle. Also if you get a factory Reman I think they offer a 3 year warranty. Seriously performance trucks.net has a great drive train forum you can try to post there as well. If you can get the model that will help.

Quote Originally Posted by 48548m View Post
    Also forget this is a Cadillac... GM only makes a few transmissions... 4L60e-4l65e-4l70e are all about the same... 4l80e-4l85e. So when you look at cost look at the model not vehicle. Also if you get a factory Reman I think they offer a 3 year warranty. Seriously performance trucks.net has a great drive train forum you can try to post there as well. If you can get the model that will help.
    the stock tranny in the escalades are the 4l65e cause i pulled up the rpo codes on mine and it is listed under one.

I was just making the point that you can go to FLT and get a top of the line transmission and they don't charge you more because it came out of a cadillac... Saying that there are only a few trannys that GM made. Just trying to help the person above, because the person who paid 2700 wasn't bad, it seems like a lot unless you go to a place like FLT and even then you can get a nice tranny for that price and they know what they are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by 48548m View Post
    I was just making the point that you can go to FLT and get a top of the line transmission and they don't charge you more because it came out of a cadillac... Saying that there are only a few trannys that GM made. Just trying to help the person above, because the person who paid 2700 wasn't bad, it seems like a lot unless you go to a place like FLT and even then you can get a nice tranny for that price and they know what they are doing.
    i see what you mean i was just mentioning the model that was used from factory.

Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    i see what you mean i was just mentioning the model that was used from factory.
    it's all good.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.