Freezing Rain + Power Windows = Bad Day.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Freezing Rain + Power Windows = Bad Day. in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Drove the truck tonight and didn't realize that my windows were frozen shut. Hit the power window switch and POP! ...
    wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

Freezing Rain + Power Windows = Bad Day.

Drove the truck tonight and didn't realize that my windows were frozen shut. Hit the power window switch and POP! No window up and down.

I first thought that I broke the regulator inside the door but now I'm wondering how the glass is attached to the regulator. Is the window bolted to the regulator or is it a slip/compression fit?

I turned off the stereo and fan so it was quiet inside the vehicle and noticed when I hit the power window switch I hear the regulator running both directions from stop to stop. That makes me wonder if the regulator is broken or simply separated from the glass. I would have thought if I had broken the motor or cable that it would run indefinately but it sounds like the regulator is running normally inside the door, that it's just disconnected from the glass.

Anyone run across this before?

And if I do find my regulator broken any sources to stay away from? I've seen them on the web from $40 for a generic to $200 for an AC Delco unit.

I've owned the truck two weeks now and so far it hasn't been a good beginning.

1. Loose steering that the dealership can't fix (I'm suspecting steering gear box).
    2. Broken speedomenter 2 days after purchase (luckily courtesy comped by GM)
    3. Broken moonroof mechanism the day I bought it.
    4. NAV unit reading disc error every so often (good DVD from my other 05 Nav unit).
    5. Very low level in rear differentia (1.5qts came out when I drained it).
    6. And now the driver's window regulator problem.

All this in about 14 days/300 miles since I purchased it.

The only pleasant surprise I've had so far is that the tranny crapped out last year and was replaced with a Jasper unit, according to Jasper the warranty is transferred to me with 2 years and 2 months left on it (04/14).

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

William01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade ESV

Re: Freezing Rain + Power Windows = Bad Day.

you have just been hit with all of this at once man, and it cannot be encouraging. just wondering how many miles does your truck have? I have had a similar experience when I bought my truck, but it spread itself out over 6 months instead of two weeks. People beat the heck out of these trucks and then trade them in, all we can hope is that these problems that are arising are more of a maintenance thing due to just being that time to replace, and not have to deal with the same issues again. I changed my oil sending unit from the stock one, then I changed the rear air shocks from the stock ones, then the hub assy's from the stock ones. Now I am hearing the front diff whine, so we both know what that means. hopefully there is light at the end of the tunnel for both of us, because I really do want to love my truck, because it's bad ass, it is just that someone else (previous owner) thought it was bad ass too, and beat the crap out of it before trading it in to become someone Else's bad ass problem.

My windows actually stopped working too, but I greased up the rubber, and they seem to work ok for now, but I do sense some new motors coming on soon...

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade

Quote Originally Posted by William01 View Post
    you have just been hit with all of this at once man, and it cannot be encouraging. just wondering how many miles does your truck have? I have had a similar experience when I bought my truck, but it spread itself out over 6 months instead of two weeks. People beat the heck out of these trucks and then trade them in, all we can hope is that these problems that are arising are more of a maintenance thing due to just being that time to replace, and not have to deal with the same issues again. I changed my oil sending unit from the stock one, then I changed the rear air shocks from the stock ones, then the hub assy's from the stock ones. Now I am hearing the front diff whine, so we both know what that means. hopefully there is light at the end of the tunnel for both of us, because I really do want to love my truck, because it's bad ass, it is just that someone else (previous owner) thought it was bad ass too, and beat the crap out of it before trading it in to become someone Else's bad ass problem.

My windows actually stopped working too, but I greased up the rubber, and they seem to work ok for now, but I do sense some new motors coming on soon...
    i agree with you on how some people don't care for the truck when they have then sell it when i got mine the compressor was no biggie as the shocks were good when i got the truck but six months after i got it one of the rear shocks blew out and i also got a feeling i will need new window motors on the front doors also

fyi to the op i have to run a laser lens cleaning cd in my players ever so often so try that in the navigation and see if that fixs that problem and yes you will need to grease the steering box and the rear diff fluid my guess it is normal as mine does this have to have some fluid added at each oil change but i have around 7500 miles on the oil when the life meter shows it is needing changing and no clue on the moonroof as my truck don't have it since mine is a 03 but it sounds like a cable or gearing problem.

Thanks, It's frustrating with the Escalade right now. I only buy used vehicles and always get hit with one problem that usually falls on the day of purchase. My Corvette had the A/C compressor sieze up on me as I left the dealership (was fine on the test drive), my Sky picked up a nail on the way home from the dealer, My Aurora had the oil sender fail on the way home from the dealer, and my STS had part of the instrument panel go dead on the way home from the dealer. I've come to expect and joke about one thing failing on day one of ownership. Hopefully the things I listed will be the last of the problems for a long time, I really do like the vehicle.

I'm at 82.5K miles now. Luckily the powertrain seems to be sound, no problems with the front diff or transfer case that I can see. The fluid in the trans case looked like it had been in there a little while but was pretty clean. The rear diff has me a little worried as it took about 5qts to fill back up after draining only about 1.5qts out of it. Who knows how long it's been that way. If it does crap out on me I'll likely look for a G80 locking rear to transplant into it, I did that on my previous SUV. It'll be a good excuse to replace the open diff in the rear. I just have to make sure the traction and stability system won't end up fighting it.

I'm thinking the truck was for the most part taken care of pretty well. It was a purchased before I bought it instead of a lease vehicle so hopefully someone who would shell out $60K+ for a vehicle wouldn't beat it into the ground. It runs very well/smooth, shifts great, and the interior was extremely clean down to the leather seats which impressed me. On the outside it's got a couple of small scratches/scrapes from normal city life but I think I can get that cleaned up by getting the rear bumper and side plastic moulding repainted. Other than that the paint is very good on this vehicle, It's quite clean compared to others I've seen.

It's getting decent mileage for what I expected, about 18 combined city/highway on my 100 mile work commute (70 miles highway, 30 city), but I wasn't too concerned with economy as it will spend most of it's life near the house for weekend Home Depot runs and maybe the occasional trailer towing when I get a travel trailer in a couple of years. I'm expecting to only put about 3000-5000 miles a year on her at the most so she'll last a good long time once I get the bugs worked out. Unless gas gets to $5 a gallon I plan on taking her to work once or twice a month to get the fluids hot for a sustained amount of time and blow out the carbon on occasion.

I've been a shade tree mechanic my whole life and enjoy it so repairs are usually done by me at home at low cost. I use the salvage yards and eBay quite a lot for my parts needs. There are a lot of bargains out there on hard parts like transfer cases and differentials, interior pieces and electronics. The 05 NAV unit was a $300 ebay purchase and it was in new condition with the map disc when I purchased it. I've run a CD cleaner through my original NAV system a few times already without any improvement. I'll likely swap the other 05 NAV unit into this truck for this problem.

Well, I broke down this morning and ordered a new regulator off of eBay for $40 delivered. Hopefully I'll receive it this week and have it installed by the weekend. If I can get it to the Caddy dealer I'll have them recheck the suspension and steering box. Hopefully they'll find the problem the Chevy dealer couldn't and I can take that back to them as I'm still on the clock for the due bill signed at the time of sale for the steering problem.

jnrsesv is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 ESV Platinum

I just replaced my drivers front regulator 2 weeks ago, pretty easy job.

Sounds as if the steel braided cable jumped off track (as mine did).

I have pictures of the entire job, from removing interior door skin to replacing regulator. I had contemplated making a "how to" thread but just haven't had time yet.

There are 2 clamps that hold the window onto the regulator, kinda like a sqeeze thingy with rubber covers so not to damage window.

Here is the cable pictures that I mentioned above:

If you need any help on replacing the regulator, again I have many pics of the procedure!

William01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade ESV

what do you plan for the NAV unit ur pulling out? I would like to take it off of your hands if you want?So I can check into as mine just flat out doesnt work, and would love to be able to get one of them working between the two. let me know.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wake View Post
    Thanks, It's frustrating with the Escalade right now. I only buy used vehicles and always get hit with one problem that usually falls on the day of purchase. My Corvette had the A/C compressor sieze up on me as I left the dealership (was fine on the test drive), my Sky picked up a nail on the way home from the dealer, My Aurora had the oil sender fail on the way home from the dealer, and my STS had part of the instrument panel go dead on the way home from the dealer. I've come to expect and joke about one thing failing on day one of ownership. Hopefully the things I listed will be the last of the problems for a long time, I really do like the vehicle.

I'm at 82.5K miles now. Luckily the powertrain seems to be sound, no problems with the front diff or transfer case that I can see. The fluid in the trans case looked like it had been in there a little while but was pretty clean. The rear diff has me a little worried as it took about 5qts to fill back up after draining only about 1.5qts out of it. Who knows how long it's been that way. If it does crap out on me I'll likely look for a G80 locking rear to transplant into it, I did that on my previous SUV. It'll be a good excuse to replace the open diff in the rear. I just have to make sure the traction and stability system won't end up fighting it.

I'm thinking the truck was for the most part taken care of pretty well. It was a purchased before I bought it instead of a lease vehicle so hopefully someone who would shell out $60K+ for a vehicle wouldn't beat it into the ground. It runs very well/smooth, shifts great, and the interior was extremely clean down to the leather seats which impressed me. On the outside it's got a couple of small scratches/scrapes from normal city life but I think I can get that cleaned up by getting the rear bumper and side plastic moulding repainted. Other than that the paint is very good on this vehicle, It's quite clean compared to others I've seen.

It's getting decent mileage for what I expected, about 18 combined city/highway on my 100 mile work commute (70 miles highway, 30 city), but I wasn't too concerned with economy as it will spend most of it's life near the house for weekend Home Depot runs and maybe the occasional trailer towing when I get a travel trailer in a couple of years. I'm expecting to only put about 3000-5000 miles a year on her at the most so she'll last a good long time once I get the bugs worked out. Unless gas gets to $5 a gallon I plan on taking her to work once or twice a month to get the fluids hot for a sustained amount of time and blow out the carbon on occasion.

I've been a shade tree mechanic my whole life and enjoy it so repairs are usually done by me at home at low cost. I use the salvage yards and eBay quite a lot for my parts needs. There are a lot of bargains out there on hard parts like transfer cases and differentials, interior pieces and electronics. The 05 NAV unit was a $300 ebay purchase and it was in new condition with the map disc when I purchased it. I've run a CD cleaner through my original NAV system a few times already without any improvement. I'll likely swap the other 05 NAV unit into this truck for this problem.

Well, I broke down this morning and ordered a new regulator off of eBay for $40 delivered. Hopefully I'll receive it this week and have it installed by the weekend. If I can get it to the Caddy dealer I'll have them recheck the suspension and steering box. Hopefully they'll find the problem the Chevy dealer couldn't and I can take that back to them as I'm still on the clock for the due bill signed at the time of sale for the steering problem.
    ouch you sound like i did with chrysler cars hence the reasion i got a caddy and if you are really going to go to the caddy dealer be ready for a high price on labor compared to the chevy dealer but before you go to the dealer do you hear the compressor kick on when you start the truck and yes it is different from the fuel pump also check your shocks with some soapy water as they do blow out or crack

----------

i forgot to mention on the rear diff mine is somewhat low each time i get the oil changed which is at 7500 miles when the front diff will be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by jnrsesv View Post
    Sounds as if the steel braided cable jumped off track (as mine did).

There are 2 clamps that hold the window onto the regulator, kinda like a sqeeze thingy with rubber covers so not to damage window.
    That's what I'm thinking might have happened to mine. The mechanism still travels up and down to the stops it just doesn't move the window, like it's separated from the glass. The, 'squeeze thingy' you mention makes me think that might be all that's wrong. I guess i'll find out this weekend. If the regulator is still good I may just put the replacement in the garage until I need it, it sounds like someday I will.

Thanks for the tip!

----------

Quote Originally Posted by William01 View Post
    what do you plan for the NAV unit ur pulling out? I would like to take it off of your hands if you want?So I can check into as mine just flat out doesnt work, and would love to be able to get one of them working between the two. let me know.

Thanks
    I'm not sure yet, I'll let you know if I want to get rid of it after I get around to replacing the unit.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    ouch you sound like i did with chrysler cars hence the reasion i got a caddy and if you are really going to go to the caddy dealer be ready for a high price on labor compared to the chevy dealer but before you go to the dealer do you hear the compressor kick on when you start the truck and yes it is different from the fuel pump also check your shocks with some soapy water as they do blow out or crack

----------

i forgot to mention on the rear diff mine is somewhat low each time i get the oil changed which is at 7500 miles when the front diff will be ok.
    Ah yes, I'm familiar with Cadillac labor and part pricing. I'm just going to have them inspect the vehicle so I'm ready for the $110 an hour they charge at my local dealer. I'm expecting to take it back to the Chevy dealer afterward with the report from the Caddy dealer. Silly me, I figured the Escalade is just like a Tahoe / Yukon under it's fancy skin and they'd be able to diagnose the same steering system that the Chevy/GMC counterparts have.

I do have a slight suspicion though, that maybe after the Chevy dealer discounted the vehicle $4000, then finally broke down and gave me another $2000 on my trade to make the deal, that they may know there is a problem with the steering but don't want to lose any more money on the transaction. It's a slight suspicion and hopefully I'm wrong because I would like to do business with them again someday. If the Caddy dealer tells me there's an obvious problem though I'm going to be pretty upset when I go back to the Chevy dealer to get my due bill work completed. It's pretty obvious to me that the vehicle has very loose steering, I'm sure it will be to the Caddy dealer as well, I don't know how it couldn't be.

The dealer I bought the Escalade from also had a higher mileage 06 on the lot so I drove that one too after telling my salesman of the steering problem during the test drive. It was a night and day difference between the two, the 06 steered flawlessly as I expected. And the salesman did notice I was making a lot of corrections to the 05's steering wheel at highway speeds on our test drive.

So your differential loses oil? Have you looked at it to determine where? They usually leak at the pinion or axle seals if they're not leaking at the cover. Mine seems to be sealed pretty good, it was just low. No oil on the pinion or inside the rear wheels so I'm assuming it was just low or maybe serviced somewhere that didn't fill it to capacity. The only problem is I don't know how long it was driven like that.

That's what I'm thinking might have happened to mine. The mechanism still travels up and down to the stops it just doesn't move the window, like it's separated from the glass. The, 'squeeze thingy' you mention makes me think that might be all that's wrong. I guess i'll find out this weekend. If the regulator is still good I may just put the replacement in the garage until I need it, it sounds like someday I will.

Thanks for the tip!

----------

I'm not sure yet, I'll let you know if I want to get rid of it after I get around to replacing the unit.

----------

Ah yes, I'm familiar with Cadillac labor and part pricing. I'm just going to have them inspect the vehicle so I'm ready for the $110 an hour they charge at my local dealer. I'm expecting to take it back to the Chevy dealer afterward with the report from the Caddy dealer. Silly me, I figured the Escalade is just like a Tahoe / Yukon under it's fancy skin and they'd be able to diagnose the same steering system that the Chevy/GMC counterparts have.

I do have a slight suspicion though, that maybe after the Chevy dealer discounted the vehicle $4000, then finally broke down and gave me another $2000 on my trade to make the deal, that they may know there is a problem with the steering but don't want to lose any more money on the transaction. It's a slight suspicion and hopefully I'm wrong because I would like to do business with them again someday. If the Caddy dealer tells me there's an obvious problem though I'm going to be pretty upset when I go back to the Chevy dealer to get my due bill work completed. It's pretty obvious to me that the vehicle has very loose steering, I'm sure it will be to the Caddy dealer as well, I don't know how it couldn't be.

The dealer I bought the Escalade from also had a higher mileage 06 on the lot so I drove that one too after telling my salesman of the steering problem during the test drive. It was a night and day difference between the two, the 06 steered flawlessly as I expected. And the salesman did notice I was making a lot of corrections to the 05's steering wheel at highway speeds on our test drive.

So your differential loses oil? Have you looked at it to determine where? They usually leak at the pinion or axle seals if they're not leaking at the cover. Mine seems to be sealed pretty good, it was just low. No oil on the pinion or inside the rear wheels so I'm assuming it was just low or maybe serviced somewhere that didn't fill it to capacity. The only problem is I don't know how long it was driven like that.
    it sounds like something is wrong with the steering gearbox for it to have that kinda play who worked on it at the chevy dealer must have not know what they were doing and i have a uncle who worked at gm and he told me to check at the axle ends to see if a seal is bad by taking the rear wheels off i just ain't had the time to check and see what it is that needs to be checked i may have it looked at when i get my tires rotated as i also need to see why my park brake don't hold but i have yet to have any major problems with my truck but unless you start hearing a whining noise from the rear you don't have no major problem with the rear diff
    p.s. yes gm's suv's are all the same as far as body parts but there a lot of things that are different between the three.

Fixed my window this morning, it was as I suspected. Nothing was wrong with the regulator, the window has simply slipped out of the clamps that attach it to the regulator. It's a much different design that I'm used to on my other vehicles where the window was actually rivetted to the regulator and you'd simply overheat the motor if it couldn't be moved.

I found one of the two clamps to have a loose bolt so that was probably a good part of the reason it pulled out. I simply loosened the bolts and bumped the window switch a couple of times and it seated right back into the clamping channel, tighened and I'm good as new again.

Now I just need to find out what's up with the loose steering. Hopefully the Cadillac deal can shed some light on it either tomorrow or Monday.

Fixed my window this morning, it was as I suspected. Nothing was wrong with the regulator, the window has simply slipped out of the clamps that attach it to the regulator. It's a much different design that I'm used to on my other vehicles where the window was actually rivetted to the regulator and you'd simply overheat the motor if it couldn't be moved.

I found one of the two clamps to have a loose bolt so that was probably a good part of the reason it pulled out. I simply loosened the bolts and bumped the window switch a couple of times and it seated right back into the clamping channel, tighened and I'm good as new again.

Now I just need to find out what's up with the loose steering. Hopefully the Cadillac deal can shed some light on it either tomorrow or Monday.
    good luck i hope you can find out what is wrong with the steering and i never thought about the windows being held like that my guess is to make it easier to fix the regulator if the need shows itself but i need to know how to replace the motors in both front doors cause they are getting really slow at times and it is driving me nuts when they get slow believe me i know how they should act my dad's 03 hummer h2's windows work faster then mine.

Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    i need to know how to replace the motors in both front doors cause they are getting really slow at times and it is driving me nuts when they get slow believe me i know how they should act my dad's 03 hummer h2's windows work faster then mine.
    You're probably better off changing out the whole regulator rather than just the motor. I haven't seen the motor for sale by itself and the whole assembly can be had for less than $40 shipped from ebay. As cheap at they are I never even considered replacing just the motor.

I will likely replace the front passenger side assembly this spring when it warms up as that window is much slower than the other three. Still able to put up with it but it's still usable.

You're probably better off changing out the whole regulator rather than just the motor. I haven't seen the motor for sale by itself and the whole assembly can be had for less than $40 shipped from ebay. As cheap at they are I never even considered replacing just the motor.

I will likely replace the front passenger side assembly this spring when it warms up as that window is much slower than the other three. Still able to put up with it but it's still usable.
    ok i will just replace the whole thing as i know more then just the motor wears out i just wondered if it was replaceable without having to do the whole thing and mine is doing the same with the passenger side front door slower then the driver which is odd given i use the driver side window the most.

jnrsesv is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 ESV Platinum

Cadillac Man, I was going to save the motor off mine and keep it stashed, sorry buddy I would have sent it to you, but I tossed it along with the regulator assembly because they are so cheap.

FYI, I purchased a "Doorman" replacement from the Zone for a hundred bucks. Ebay definetly has the the better pricing on atleast the Doorman replacement. I just did not want to wait around for it to be shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by jnrsesv View Post
    Cadillac Man, I was going to save the motor off mine and keep it stashed, sorry buddy I would have sent it to you, but I tossed it along with the regulator assembly because they are so cheap.

FYI, I purchased a "Doorman" replacement from the Zone for a hundred bucks. Ebay definetly has the the better pricing on atleast the Doorman replacement. I just did not want to wait around for it to be shipped.
    that's ok as i ain't up to replacing both right now given that i don't always have the time to do it but i will be pricing them soon as i can cause i know they can't last much longer.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.