Cadillac Owners Forum banner

PROJECT: Making custom clear reflectors for headlights.

35K views 147 replies 21 participants last post by  mikedyk43 
#1 ·
If anyone here has ever tried to find 02-06 Escalade headlights without that hideous orange reflector, than you know that they don't exist. The closest I ever found was an archived thread here about someone in the process of making their own clear reflectors, but had his vehicle stolen along with his custom molds. After buying a set of LED taillights from user sfv41901, I realized that he was the very same guy that was creating the clear reflectors. After a lengthy discussion, he agreed to help me through the process of finishing what he started. Here is a picture from his thread of what the reflectors looked like, just imagine having these instead of the stock amber:
Yellow Rectangle Glasses

REQUEST: I am looking for someone that has cleared their headlights and still has the amber reflectors. I need OEM reflectors with the tabs still intact. I would be more than willing to buy them or take them in exchange for the first produced clear ones. If anyone has their reflectors still and is willing to part with them for this project, please either respond here or PM me.

See less See more
#3 ·
I am aware that the DOT specifies that front reflectors must be amber, however there are "clear corners" available for many different vehicles and I have yet to hear of someone getting a ticket for them. The Escalade reflectors are likely not available because who wants to open up their stock headlights to change it.....well, besides me? I know there are several Escalade owners out there that have completely removed their reflectors and although it looks better, it doesn't look quite right to me since there is an obvious void left in it's place.

#4 ·
Well I replaced my whole headlight completely with the projector style seen on ebay.. I have the stock housings in the garage.. Since they are just collecting dust maybe I will look into opening them up for ya and taking out the amber lense.. Of course in return I wouldn't mind a free set of the cleared lense..

#7 ·
Haha, its great to see this going again.

I know DOT states that there must a amber reflector in the front headlight. There's also a law about illegal HID kits in halogen housings, but that hasn't stopped anyone from doing that.

Mike, let me know if I can be of anymore help.

#8 ·
Thanks, I will chatting with you as soon as I can get my hands on some reflectors. Once I start getting these things made, I would be happy to give you a set for those projectors that you've been working on, only if you're interested, of course.

#14 ·
I am sure that can be arranged. I'm still waiting to see if anyone has reflectors available. I still have mine, but was really hoping someone had some lying around so that I won't have to take my headlights apart twice (daily driver). I will give it about another week and if nobody has any for this project, than I will just use mine.

#22 ·
Its illegal to use a HID bulb in a halogen housing, doesn't matter what state ur in.

All I'm saying is there are thousands upon thousands of cars that are running HIDs in a halogen housing. I don't think a little reflector is going to make that much of a difference.

I took the amber reflector out of my CTS headlights.

I'm also using OEM JDM headlights in my Prius.

OEM US lights

Have never had a problem in Los Angeles.

#23 ·
well i looked at the laws in my state and i can't remove the amber lens but i don't know if replacing it with a clear one would raise a flag with the cops in my state or not as i don't want to get a ticket the only thing that has kept them from knowing i have hid's in my high beams is i have 4300k bulbs so far i have had good luck on that but a reflector i'd be afraid to push my luck to far.

#25 · (Edited)
The Department of Transportation says that there must be amber reflectors on each side as close to the front as possible. It says nothing about them needing to be in the headlights. Here is a link to check out DOT Reg 393.11.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=393.11

Bottom line is it is HIGHLY unlikely that you would get pulled over for this alone and even if you were ticketed, it's not a moving violation, just a "fix it" ticket. No different than say modified exhaust or having a cold air intake. In CA you can take a fix it ticket down to the local Highway Patrol station and show an officer that it has been corrected and it's a done deal, no fine, no problems.

By the way sfv41901, the CTS looks great!

#24 ·
the cadillac man said:
well i looked at the laws in my state and i can't remove the amber lens but i don't know if replacing it with a clear one would raise a flag with the cops in my state or not as i don't want to get a ticket the only thing that has kept them from knowing i have hid's in my high beams is i have 4300k bulbs so far i have had good luck on that but a reflector i'd be afraid to push my luck to far.
Do u have a yearly inspection?

#29 ·
Just a thought, If replacing the amber with the clear lens and worried about any type of tickets, how about replacing the bulb with an amber bulb?

I personally am looking for the "daytime" look of the vehicle rather than wht it looks like at night.

I am seriously interested in the white lens as well!

#30 ·
good point once i can see some pics of what it looks like with the new lens in place i may get a set.

----------

Do u have a yearly inspection?
no did i do drive in states that do inspect vehicles so i don't know if it would cause a problem or not i don't think it will of course i am related to the sheriff in my county so i don't have to worry about some things.

#33 ·
I know I some states that do have yearly inspections they look at everything.......intake, exhaust, lights.

Here is a pic that I took when I was doing them just to give u an idea.
Wow, that is exactly what I want my headlights to look like! I can hardly wait to make these molds.

wow now what do they look like on the truck so i can make my decision.
His truck was stolen over two years ago, before he ever got a chance to mount these. It looks like we will have to wait until I can get some made before we see them on a vehicle.

#38 ·
Great project Mike and sfv.

If you want to get rid of the bubbles in the castings look into a pressure chamber and pump.

I make clear reflectors for the Chevy Colorado and have been since 2010 if you have any questions pm or look me up over on his forum: http://www.355nation.net/forum/projects-build/27323-clear-reflectors-project.html
It does not look like you can pm here so just email: thethein11 at gmail dot com

Also you can black dye to the mix to make tinted reflectors

And don't limit your self to just reflectors I recently started making gauge needles

Again hit me up if you have any questions

#40 ·
thethein11 said:
Great project Mike and sfv.

If you want to get rid of the bubbles in the castings look into a pressure chamber and pump.

I make clear reflectors for the Chevy Colorado and have been since 2010 if you have any questions pm or look me up over on his forum: http://www.355nation.net/forum/projects-build/27323-clear-reflectors-project.html
It does not look like you can pm here so just email: thethein11 at gmail dot com

Also you can black dye to the mix to make tinted reflectors

And don't limit your self to just reflectors I recently started making gauge needles

Again hit me up if you have any questions
Thx for the input & suggestions. Always glad to see another modern :)

#44 ·
Yes I got them, thanks again for sending these. I also received most of the other supplies, but I forgot to order modeling clay and the resin activator. I also decided to order some transparent opaque resin tint from Taps since the picture of your mounted reflector seemed a little too clear, if that make sense. Just something I thought I would experiment with. I should have everything I need to get started this coming week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.