PROJECT: Making custom clear reflectors for headlights. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, PROJECT: Making custom clear reflectors for headlights. in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Originally Posted by sfv41901 U know what Mike, I'll see what I can do. I really appreciate all your help! ...
    mikedyk43 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by sfv41901 View Post

U know what Mike, I'll see what I can do.
    I really appreciate all your help!

To everyone else: LAST CHANCE to volunteer your stock amber reflectors and receive the first set of clears (and your ambers back) absolutely free!

sfv41901 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS
    Good news.......I just bought a pair of broken HID headlights. The tabs & lens are damaged beyond use but the reflectors are in perfect shape. I will get them removed & ship them out to u.

Good news.......I just bought a pair of broken HID headlights. The tabs & lens are damaged beyond use but the reflectors are in perfect shape. I will get them removed & ship them out to u.
    Awesome! Let me know how much for shipping and I will pay for it.

USPS flat rate box. Can't go wrong.

I'll let u know when they get shipped out.

USPS flat rate box. Can't go wrong.

I'll let u know when they get shipped out.
    You sir, are the man!

the cadillac man is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade

Re: PROJECT: Making custom clear reflectors for headlights.

Haha, its great to see this going again.

I know DOT states that there must a amber reflector in the front headlight. There's also a law about illegal HID kits in halogen housings, but that hasn't stopped anyone from doing that.

Mike, let me know if I can be of anymore help.
    the hid law depends in the laws in each state i know there is no law stating that you can't install them in my state but i do not use my high beams which i have converted to hid in the city at all no matter what just have to be careful and check with local laws but the reflectors are required by law to be amber in my state so i do suggest checking before you do any mod like this.

Its illegal to use a HID bulb in a halogen housing, doesn't matter what state ur in.

All I'm saying is there are thousands upon thousands of cars that are running HIDs in a halogen housing. I don't think a little reflector is going to make that much of a difference.

I took the amber reflector out of my CTS headlights.

I'm also using OEM JDM headlights in my Prius.

OEM US lights

Have never had a problem in Los Angeles.

well i looked at the laws in my state and i can't remove the amber lens but i don't know if replacing it with a clear one would raise a flag with the cops in my state or not as i don't want to get a ticket the only thing that has kept them from knowing i have hid's in my high beams is i have 4300k bulbs so far i have had good luck on that but a reflector i'd be afraid to push my luck to far.

Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man
    well i looked at the laws in my state and i can't remove the amber lens but i don't know if replacing it with a clear one would raise a flag with the cops in my state or not as i don't want to get a ticket the only thing that has kept them from knowing i have hid's in my high beams is i have 4300k bulbs so far i have had good luck on that but a reflector i'd be afraid to push my luck to far.
    Do u have a yearly inspection?

Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    The Department of Transportation says that there must be amber reflectors on each side as close to the front as possible. It says nothing about them needing to be in the headlights. Here is a link to check out DOT Reg 393.11.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...spx?reg=393.11

Bottom line is it is HIGHLY unlikely that you would get pulled over for this alone and even if you were ticketed, it's not a moving violation, just a "fix it" ticket. No different than say modified exhaust or having a cold air intake. In CA you can take a fix it ticket down to the local Highway Patrol station and show an officer that it has been corrected and it's a done deal, no fine, no problems.

By the way sfv41901, the CTS looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by mikedyk43 View Post
    The Department of Transportation says that there must be amber reflectors on each side as close to the front as possible. It says nothing about them needing to be in the headlights. Here is a link to check out DOT Reg 393.11.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...spx?reg=393.11

Bottom line is it is HIGHLY unlikely that you would get pulled over for this alone and even if you were ticketed, it's not a moving violation, just a "fix it" ticket. No different than say modified exhaust or having a cold air intake. In CA you can take a fix it ticket down to the local Highway Patrol station and show an officer that it has been corrected and it's a done deal, no fine, no problems.
    well i don't know about it in my state as i have yet to see anyone do any of the mods that are done to the headlights in my state but i agree it does look a bit tacky for it to be in the headlight and so big anyway anyone who posts pic of the results with the new reflectors i might do this as tennessee doesn't do yearly inspections if i can find a different set of housings to use while i have the modded reflectors made.

Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    well i don't know about it in my state as i have yet to see anyone do any of the mods that are done to the headlights in my state but i agree it does look a bit tacky for it to be in the headlight and so big anyway anyone who posts pic of the results with the new reflectors i might do this as tennessee doesn't do yearly inspections if i can find a different set of housings to use while i have the modded reflectors made.
    Not insult your intelligence, but the DOT is federal so it these regulations are nation wide not just per state. On another note, after I get the mold made from a set of reflectors, I will be able to continue to make as many clear reflectors as I want and they will fit all OEM headlights since the mold will be an exact replica of OEM reflectors. Meaning if you are interested in a set of clears, you don't have to send yours in for copying, I can send you a set when they are complete and you will just have to open the lights and swap them with the amber ones currently there.

Lights are opened & Here they are.

I will try to get them out tomorrow.

jnrsesv is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 ESV Platinum

Just a thought, If replacing the amber with the clear lens and worried about any type of tickets, how about replacing the bulb with an amber bulb?

I personally am looking for the "daytime" look of the vehicle rather than wht it looks like at night.

I am seriously interested in the white lens as well!

Quote Originally Posted by jnrsesv View Post
    Just a thought, If replacing the amber with the clear lens and worried about any type of tickets, how about replacing the bulb with an amber bulb?

I personally am looking for the "daytime" look of the vehicle rather than wht it looks like at night.

I am seriously interested in the white lens as well!
    good point once i can see some pics of what it looks like with the new lens in place i may get a set.

----------

Do u have a yearly inspection?
    no did i do drive in states that do inspect vehicles so i don't know if it would cause a problem or not i don't think it will of course i am related to the sheriff in my county so i don't have to worry about some things.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.