2004 ESV 6.0 Rpm's jumping between 50-60mph
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, 2004 ESV 6.0 Rpm's jumping between 50-60mph in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Just got a 2004 esv 6.0 liter with 72k on it. Ive noticed that when im gradually accelerating up in ...
    MrSeville4.9 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac Seville 4.9, 2004 Cadillac Escalade ESV 6.0

2004 ESV 6.0 Rpm's jumping between 50-60mph

Just got a 2004 esv 6.0 liter with 72k on it. Ive noticed that when im gradually accelerating up in speed and i get to about 50-55mph, my rpm will start to jump a bit. Its not violent, but doesnt seem normal. The rpm needle will jump maybe 3 times then it'll smooth right back out. This happens between 1500-2500rpms. But if i punch it, it will accelerate smoothly straight through. I have no engine lights on either.

Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

enger126 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac Escalade

Re: 2004 ESV 6.0 Rpm's jumping between 50-60mph

Mine just started doing the same thing at that same speed. I will be bringing my truck to the trans shop on Monday or Tuesday to get it checked out and have the fluid changed.

Let me know what the results are. Thanks.

comcardi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

At normal acceleration 50 -55 is usually when the TCC (Torque Clutch Converter) engages which is the "overdrive" function of the trans. It is possible there is a problem with the engagement of the TCC which is why it doesn't happen with more brisk acceleration as the TCC will not engage during heavy engine loads such as that.

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade

i know this is crazy but did either of you think to check the fluid to see if it low as the tranny can slip at different speeds if it is low if isn't low i agree with the previous poster as mine has shown this but it is very rare and only under certain acceleration rates.

smelly$cat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 ESV

maybe it's just the stepper motor on the back of your tach...lol

Ive checked my fluid before, but ill check it again.
    @Comcardi... If it is the TCC, how major is that? How much do you think the repair might cost, ball park?

If it is the TCC, it would be hard to tell the cost because it could be an actual mechanical issue or something as simple as the TCC switch going bad. If it happens to be the switch, that's a rather inexpensive fix. It doesn't sound mechanical as there will usually be a noise associated with a mechanically failing TCC usually a whine or buzz that is often mistaken for the sound a trans will make if low on fluid. A free test can be driving in tow/haul mode from a complete stop with normal acceleration up to the speed at which the rpm skip occurs. With tow/haul mode active the trans will apply the TCC in 2nd gear and remains applied. In Normal mode, the TCC generally engages only in higher gears and is dependent on throttle position. If you rpm skip does not occur when you reach the speed at which it usually happens, it's a TCC issue. If it still occurs, it's something else and you've at least ruled this out as a possible cause of the rpm skip.

Comcardi...Thanx for the info. Ill try the tow/haul mode today and check fluid. It does not make any noise thou, so hopefully its not mechanical.

I performed the test that you told me about. I put the truck in tow/ haul mode and accelerated normally to 50ish, whr the rpms normally start to jump. As i got thr it was perfectly smooth and thr rpms never jumped. The rpms were higher, but prbly due to be ing in tow/haul mode. Also checked the fluid, it was at normal level. Tranny doesn't make any noise either. So im hoping it's the switch. Tcc solenoid valve switch, right? Will the bad switch put out a code and does my truck have the obdII?

it might be needing a fluid and filter change the car i had before i got my lade did this and i told my uncle who know a lot about cars from working at gm told me that
    plus i don't see how you can have problem with the tcc with the amount of miles you have on it since i know my lade has close to 150,000 and it is a 03 but i haven't checked my tranny fluid to see if it is low yet.
    p.s. all trucks and cars after 95 has obdII.

Cadillac man is correct that any vehicle post 1995 is equipped with an OBDII system. I have an uncle who is a ASE Master Tech at a chevy delaership and works on tahoes all the time which is nearly the same vehicle. Cadillac man is correct in that the powertrain is durable in these vehicles, however my uncle has seen a fair share of them with issues. They tend to either work really well for many miles or act up early on.

If it is the TCC switch which is the valve as you mentioned, it can be replaced and isn't labor intensive. The trans has it's own computer and if the valve is sticking may not be enough to throw a trouble code as the computer will look to see if the problem exists through a few ignition cycles before storing a code. Since your fluid levels are fine you may want to consider a trans flush and replace the screen before letting someone start tinkering on your trans. It could be something as simple as a pretty clogged screen and the trans is having a hard time building the appropriate hydraulic pressure for smooth TCC engagement. If you try a flush first do not let the shop do the "fluid exchange/reverse flush" that uses the machine. My uncle says hes seen more trans fail after that procedure because all it does is stir up sediments in the trans that had settled to the bottom of the trans pan. The vehicle can also be hooked up to a scan tool and the tech can check the trans operations to help determine if the TCC valve needs to be replaced. The good thing is you have enough info now to narrow your issue down when you go to a shop instead of having no idea what the possible cause could be.

Quote Originally Posted by comcardi View Post
    Cadillac man is correct that any vehicle post 1995 is equipped with an OBDII system. I have an uncle who is a ASE Master Tech at a chevy delaership and works on tahoes all the time which is nearly the same vehicle. Cadillac man is correct in that the powertrain is durable in these vehicles, however my uncle has seen a fair share of them with issues. They tend to either work really well for many miles or act up early on.

If it is the TCC switch which is the valve as you mentioned, it can be replaced and isn't labor intensive. The trans has it's own computer and if the valve is sticking may not be enough to throw a trouble code as the computer will look to see if the problem exists through a few ignition cycles before storing a code. Since your fluid levels are fine you may want to consider a trans flush and replace the screen before letting someone start tinkering on your trans. It could be something as simple as a pretty clogged screen and the trans is having a hard time building the appropriate hydraulic pressure for smooth TCC engagement. If you try a flush first do not let the shop do the "fluid exchange/reverse flush" that uses the machine. My uncle says hes seen more trans fail after that procedure because all it does is stir up sediments in the trans that had settled to the bottom of the trans pan. The vehicle can also be hooked up to a scan tool and the tech can check the trans operations to help determine if the TCC valve needs to be replaced. The good thing is you have enough info now to narrow your issue down when you go to a shop instead of having no idea what the possible cause could be.
    good luck

Thanx 4 the info fellas! When u say get screen replaced, is that the same as the filter?

Quote Originally Posted by MrSeville4.9 View Post
    Thanx 4 the info fellas! When u say get screen replaced, is that the same as the filter?
    yes there is only one way the fluid can get cleaned while in the tranny without it you don't want to know what can happen i have only had one car of mine that had to have a fluid and filter change and that is my other car (79 chrysler cordoba) due to old seals that gave out be weary about certain shops i had to get mine done twice cause the first shop didn't do a good job and i had to get the seals done twice at the cost of 800 bucks total.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.