Air Ride Suspension - Can it be converted to conventional shocks?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Air Ride Suspension - Can it be converted to conventional shocks? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I just found out that both my rear shocks and compressor are bad (shocking news! and very expensive). Can these ...
    weberja is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Cadillac Escalade

Unhappy Air Ride Suspension - Can it be converted to conventional shocks?

I just found out that both my rear shocks and compressor are bad (shocking news! and very expensive). Can these shocks be replaced with conventional non air ride shocks like from a Chevy Tahoe?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

TheCaddyKidd is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac Escalade EXT

Re: Air Ride Suspension - Can it be converted to conventional shocks?

If I recall correctly it can be done.. I even believe there was a company that someone posted about that come with adapaters so that the system will think everything is working and you will not get any warning lights.. Give me a few and I will check..

mikedyk43 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by weberja View Post
    I just found out that both my rear shocks and compressor are bad (shocking news! and very expensive). Can these shocks be replaced with conventional non air ride shocks like from a Chevy Tahoe?
    Here is a link that has replacement suspension for your Escalade:

http://www.strutmasters.com/cadillac...parts-s/43.htm

weberja is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Cadillac Escalade

Thanks for the information. It seems like a good way to go as the system would probably become more problematic as the car ages.

zogg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade EXT

I really like the air suspension, but it is expensive to repair. However, that's why I bought an Escalade instead of a Tahoe. I found replacement Monroe air shocks for under $250 each and a rebuilt compressor for $200. I do some towing with my Escalade and I like having the level and stable ride. I used to own a couple of Lincoln town cars with rear air suspension. I know lots of folks swapped in non-air ride springs for about $300. I replaced the air springs with Firestone units for $190 and never complained like the guys who did the swap.

I can't see buying a $70,000 vehicle and being cheap on a repair that negates the ride quality.....

escalade718 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade 6.0

I have Bilstein HD Front #F4-BE5-6500-H0 and Bilstein HD BE5-E380-H0 in the rear. They ride is the same as the air shocks, but I can't the "service stability system" Light to go off! They handle well and the ride is smooth! Try them! way cheaper than Air shocks! I didn't have to replace the springs at all. It was an direct bolt. They were replaced about this time last year and I haven't had a problem so far....

William01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade ESV
    You can put gas shocks on it as a direct fit from a non air ride Tahoe. I was going to do it that way, until I thought about it. Itz a Cadillac, I have to repair it that way. I paid 475 for both shocks which is more than gas would be but way less than what the dealer wants or even most auto parts stores for the specialty monroe air shock replacements. I took apart the compressor and re-soldered the wires and cleaned it up real good put back together and fired right up. Changed them myself in about an hour maybe. Straight forward repair.

slowstang305 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Escalade

My truck is converted and works just fine. Less issues that way. Fortunately it was already done when I bought the truck used so I wont be able to answer much questions. If you guys need any pics of the shocks or part numbers just let me know.

4dzone is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade

I'm doing the conversion tomorrow in my home garage. I've got an 02 Escalade 4x2 with 156k miles. I discovered my entire system is shot. Compressor bad, rear shocks bad, probably have a leak too. I'm converting from the stock air ride to Bilstein HD Front #F4-BE5-6500-H0 and Bilstein HD BE5-E380-H0 in the rear. I don't ever do any towing but I do load up the car maybe 3-4 times a year for family trips. I'll repost as soon as I finish up.

AirDoc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 03 Escalade

I've been searching many threads on this same subject as I'm about to do the same on an Escalade i'm buying next week.

The only thing I can't find in the threads is the Part Number of some Z71 Rear Springs - I plan on towing a bit and want some good support.

Anyone know by chance?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.