Time to upgrade my sound system in my 2005 Escalade :) - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Time to upgrade my sound system in my 2005 Escalade :) in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Sorry if i jacked your thread was not my intention buddy...
    bpc87 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Time to upgrade my sound system in my 2005 Escalade :)

Sorry if i jacked your thread was not my intention buddy

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade

Quote Originally Posted by bpc87 View Post
    i already have 4 gauge wires going to the one amp i have for my subs. So i was wondering about how to go about putting another amp in for the speakers and how hard that would be i want to replace all the speakers in there factory locations and maybe make the rear pillars bigger and the center console ones depending. But my main question is i dont know the whole thing about a crossover or what amp to use or how to go about getting another amp in there. Those are the questions i have been searching online for the last couple hours trying to figure out. CadillacMan i will let you know im pretty sure the right one is blown tho no sound coming out of the right side at all so idk if there is a channel in the amp gone. The speaker is blown or one other thing i was thinking about today I had a Pioneer HU put in when i did the subs so i could control everything about my subs now im wondering if something is wired wrong in the back of the HU because i blew both door speakers and everything on the right side so i just decided to buy kenwood speakers for the front doors but they sucked the bose was much louder in the back and you could hardly hear them but when i faded to the right front still nothing so im thinking it was just wired like any other factory system LF,RF,RR,LR, but i have a feeling the bose system is wired completely different and another thing im wondering now is if the HU being wired wrong blew the speakers. So if anyone could answer these questions for me or point me in the right direction would be appreciated once again thanks guys
    ok from the information i have gathered so far it appears you have a 02 escalade by the mentioning of the center console horn mid range drivers which i have yet to hear of one blowing(you may be the first) but it is possible although being that both are wired in parallel that means both are ran off of one channel on the stock amp also the front right tweeter and door speaker are also wired in parallel that means if one goes the other will still work but considering what you have said about the whole right side blowing speakers it sounds like the head unit isn't wired up right also the rear tweeters are wired in parallel.
    my advise is figure out what is wrong with the head unit by trying the stock radio and see if it still acts up if it don't act up then the problem is in the head unit (trust me i know, i don't know how i kept from blowing the stock infinity speakers in my previous car cause i had a aftermarket radio in it which really taxed the factory speakers and amp)

2005_ESCALADE is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade

Sorry if i jacked your thread was not my intention buddy
    Not a problem at all bud, this thread was made and intended to help other cadillac enthusiasts to enjoy and maybe learn on how to , or not to do things, a certain way. lol.

I think Cadillac man is right, you may want to pull your aftermarket "Pioneer" unit to see how it's hooked up. When you replace the radio in your vehicle, you should use an interface to make things easier, although they can be a bit pricey yours calls for the following PAC Interface ROEM-GM21A (For aftermarket Radio installation with factory bose system) there's a pricier one if you want to keep ONstar,which is the AOEM-GM21A interface. Check to see if you have either of these installed. Also check your sub amp to see if they ran speaker wires to the "line input" or if they ran RCA's. There's a lot of things that can cause your problem. We need more info to help you solve these issues. I've heard of basic line drivers *plastic box with wires and rca outputs for left and right* going bad , on one side, if not both.

I have taken the radio out and there is no Interface installed i had it done at best buy which was stupid i know i was young and impatient. I asked them about that after because ever since there was a whine that comes from under the console and the guy at best buy told me it was my bose amp starting to go and that was 3 yrs ago atleast and the only thing that has started to happen is little by little my speakers stopped working. First it was the drivers door, then the passenger door then it was so forth. If that helps also it only has rcas going from my amp to the HU and that is def wired wrong because when i use the fader to go all the way to the front and over to the right nothing. So it def is wired wrong and when i took out my door speakers they looked fine. It sounds like i have a problem with my HU and nothing else is there a way i could of blown a channel on that amp or something else. If you need anymore info just let me know and thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bpc87
    I have taken the radio out and there is no Interface installed i had it done at best buy which was stupid i know i was young and impatient. I asked them about that after because ever since there was a whine that comes from under the console and the guy at best buy told me it was my bose amp starting to go and that was 3 yrs ago atleast and the only thing that has started to happen is little by little my speakers stopped working. First it was the drivers door, then the passenger door then it was so forth. If that helps also it only has rcas going from my amp to the HU and that is def wired wrong because when i use the fader to go all the way to the front and over to the right nothing. So it def is wired wrong and when i took out my door speakers they looked fine. It sounds like i have a problem with my HU and nothing else is there a way i could of blown a channel on that amp or something else. If you need anymore info just let me know and thanks
    It is highly unlikely the amp's fail even with age, if you mind me asking do you still have your stock radio as you can use it till you can get the other radio fixed or replaced to see if you get audio from the right side cause it sounds like the head unit has got messed up due to improper installation and yes it can happen all it takes is one wire to short and the radio can severely damaged sometimes to the point of being the radio being a nice looking but useless paperweight(I know I had one brick on me so now it is useless 300 dollars down the drain)

Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    It is highly unlikely the amp's fail even with age, if you mind me asking do you still have your stock radio as you can use it till you can get the other radio fixed or replaced to see if you get audio from the right side cause it sounds like the head unit has got messed up due to improper installation and yes it can happen all it takes is one wire to short and the radio can severely damaged sometimes to the point of being the radio being a nice looking but useless paperweight(I know I had one brick on me so now it is useless 300 dollars down the drain)
    I'm not sure how the heck best buy installed his radio without T'ing to the amp, which is normally a must. Bpc87 Are you sure they didnt run an additional set of wires to your speakers from your radio?

Quote Originally Posted by 2005_ESCALADE

I'm not sure how the heck best buy installed his radio without T'ing to the amp, which is normally a must. Bpc87 Are you sure they didnt run an additional set of wires to your speakers from your radio?
    All it takes is one unprotected wire and it don't take long for the amp in most radios to fry itself due to overheat and given most have two amp chips one for each side it is likely one has failed in his aftermarket radio.

Ya i was wondering why there was no interface either im going to check again tomorrow and yes i do have the stock radio still and i am going to put it back in tomorrow and if all my speakers work with that i am putting it back in because to be honest i like the subwoofers but there starting to annoy me. I still have the paperwork from when i had it installed and the drivers door speaker did not work before i took the factory radio out i remember after i had the Pioneer put in i took it back a couple days later because my radio stopped working and they told me that the bose amp was going and they changed the fuse on the HU. Then i had to change the fuse on the HU again about 6 months after that is another reason i think there is something wrong with the HU minus the driver door speaker that was already not working but what caused that i am wondering i took off the door panels yesterday and both speakers in the front doors look fine wouldnt they be ripped or somewhat messed up if they were blown or not working.

Quote Originally Posted by bpc87
    Ya i was wondering why there was no interface either im going to check again tomorrow and yes i do have the stock radio still and i am going to put it back in tomorrow and if all my speakers work with that i am putting it back in because to be honest i like the subwoofers but there starting to annoy me. I still have the paperwork from when i had it installed and the drivers door speaker did not work before i took the factory radio out i remember after i had the Pioneer put in i took it back a couple days later because my radio stopped working and they told me that the bose amp was going and they changed the fuse on the HU. Then i had to change the fuse on the HU again about 6 months after that is another reason i think there is something wrong with the HU minus the driver door speaker that was already not working but what caused that i am wondering i took off the door panels yesterday and both speakers in the front doors look fine wouldnt they be ripped or somewhat messed up if they were blown or not working.
    Most of the time the only way to tell if a speaker is bad is to bench test it with a working radio at low volume if you hear music then it works if not then it is blown.

Most of the time the foam surround gets ripped is by running a speaker with more power then is needed by the speaker.

Having a sub is good if it tuned right but if improperly tuned it will be annoying

Also if you do decide to go back stock let me know as I still have the Bose speakers that I removed out of my 03.

You can take an ohmmeter across the positive and negative of your speaker to make sure you get a reading, if i'm not mistaken bose speakers run at 1ohm, so you should be getting 1.0 with variances across it. most of the time when there's no physical evidence to the naked eye, some test it by carefully pushing the cone in slowly to see if there's coil rub, if it's stiff and you can hear/feel a "crunchy swoosh" (dont know how else to describe it), your coil is toast.

UPDATE

Well due to the crazy Chicago Weather, we started at about 5 oclock, and realized we still weren't ready to get things done as we wanted too. the custom speaker pods purchased were not fitting like we had originally expected. There are tabs at the bottom to secure it, but we couldnt get a tight fit up top to keep it in place. We weren't able to find any backstrap desperately needed due to our local hardware stores being closed. I'm going to try to post a few things of what we got accomplished, please keep in mind that i'm daily driving this vehicle and everything has to to go back on after whatever point we get.

2012-07-01 17.34.54.jpg
    Found a spot to install the 3 way crossover
    2012-07-01 17.36.40.jpg
    2012-07-01 18.34.59.jpg
    2012-07-01 19.21.53.jpg
    2012-07-01 19.22.09.jpg
    2012-07-01 19.22.22.jpg
    2012-07-01 19.30.20.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 2005_ESCALADE View Post
    You can take an ohmmeter across the positive and negative of your speaker to make sure you get a reading, if i'm not mistaken bose speakers run at 1ohm, so you should be getting 1.0 with variances across it. most of the time when there's no physical evidence to the naked eye, some test it by carefully pushing the cone in slowly to see if there's coil rub, if it's stiff and you can hear/feel a "crunchy swoosh" (dont know how else to describe it), your coil is toast.
    you are right except for one thing the stock speakers are 16ohms i have checked all four door speakers and they all are the same now the tweeters and sub are different so far i have no clue on the tweeters as i haven't measured them yet but the sub is 2 ohms on each channel and yes if a speaker is blown it will most of the time be unable to be moved as the coil has melted to the magnet but there are rare occasions where i have seen them be blown and still be able to move the speaker cone and i have a speaker that has done like this to prove my point.

Quote Originally Posted by 2005_ESCALADE View Post
    UPDATE

Well due to the crazy Chicago Weather, we started at about 5 oclock, and realized we still weren't ready to get things done as we wanted too. the custom speaker pods purchased were not fitting like we had originally expected. There are tabs at the bottom to secure it, but we couldnt get a tight fit up top to keep it in place. We weren't able to find any backstrap desperately needed due to our local hardware stores being closed. I'm going to try to post a few things of what we got accomplished, please keep in mind that i'm daily driving this vehicle and everything has to to go back on after whatever point we get.

Attachment 94104
    Found a spot to install the 3 way crossover
    Attachment 94105
    Attachment 94106
    Attachment 94107
    Attachment 94108
    Attachment 94109
    Attachment 94110
    nice work so far and your truck looks like mine did when i installed my speakers and i also drive my truck daily so it makes it a pain to get stuff right what took me a few hours to get my sub sounding the way i wanted it to in my car took me three weeks in my truck as it was three days to get everything installed (heads-up be ready for a 20 q&a at the dealer cause i felt like i was being interrogated when i had my truck towed in due to PCM failure if they did like they should of and just asked what was wrong instead they asked when i installed my speakers and second radio and if it could have caused the problem i am glad my sub was hidden and i had already had the amp kit unhooked from the battery)and i ask you this how in the world did you get all of the harnesses disconnected from the door module?

Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    you are right except for one thing the stock speakers are 16ohms i have checked all four door speakers and they all are the same now the tweeters and sub are different so far i have no clue on the tweeters as i haven't measured them yet but the sub is 2 ohms on each channel and yes if a speaker is blown it will most of the time be unable to be moved as the coil has melted to the magnet but there are rare occasions where i have seen them be blown and still be able to move the speaker cone and i have a speaker that has done like this to prove my point.

I could have sworn they are either 1ohm or 2ohm's.

Thank you, the wiring has been the most challenging part so far, keeping everything as clean as possible.

The box is being built today and covered with Medium Tan Fabric, that will be seating a 1,300 watt rms capable 10" lil sub. The box will be 1.25 Cubic feet, tuned at 34Hz.

I am thinking about going back to stock havent 100% decided yet but how much for the 2 front door speakers cadillac man. The speakers still move and i know what you mean a crunch sound like if you had a blown sub. When i took out the passenger side door speaker where the wiring harness goes in on the speaker was all rusted and corroated like water got in there. I also noticed when i took the speaker out there was a foam baffle around it. If i replace my speakers with aftermarket i think im going to put baffles back on them.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.