Cupholder Door Stays Open, Fix W/Pics
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Cupholder Door Stays Open, Fix W/Pics in Cadillac Escalade Forums; So the other day my 3 year old lifted the cupholder door straight up "popping" the retainer clip off (as ...
    jnrsesv is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 ESV Platinum

Cupholder Door Stays Open, Fix W/Pics

So the other day my 3 year old lifted the cupholder door straight up "popping" the retainer clip off (as pictures will show). This is an easy fix (no money or parts needed).

This procedure will work on the ashtray door as well.

Tools Needed: #2 phillips screwdriver

Note: The following is just an aid in fixing the clip that holds the cupholder (or ashtray) door in the locked postion.

First off, ENGAGE EMERGENCY BRAKE (and or place foot on brake pedal), remove the dashboard trim, start by turning key to the "on" postion, place gear selector to the 1st gear postion, gently pull dashboard trim away from stationary dash. Replace gear selector back in the Park postion, turn key off.

Remove the 5 armrest phillips screws

There are 4 retaining clips that hold the clock/cd/heated/cooled (option)/storage door console, gently pull to remove. Disconnect wiring, set aside. Remove 2 phillips screws holding cd player

Backside of clock/cd/etc.. console

There are 4 retaining clips that hold the ashtray/cigar lighter/cupholder console, gently pull to remove. Disconnect wiring. Set aside.

Note only 2 of the 4 retaining clips pictured

I found my "popped off" cupholder door clip hidden down here. The plastic clip was NOT broken, there are 2 flimsy tabs that hold it into the retainer (maybe engineered this way?).

Simply push plastic door lock mechanism back into place, check operation of door.

There you have it. Reverse procedure to put back together. This took me about a half an hour to repair
    djais1801, djais1801 and lcrmorgan like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

bstiffmanofsteel is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): NONE

Re: Cupholder Door Stays Open, Fix W/Pics

Very nice detailed write up. Nice job!
    jnrsesv and jnrsesv like this.

bstiff, THANK YOU for acknowledging this thread and your welcome.

Of the almost 100 looksies at this thread, its rather upsetting that when a fellow member offers up time consuming (taking time to take pictures whilest working, downloading said pictures, uploading pictures, typing a detailed post and adding pictures to the body of thread in order) that only 1 member reponds with a "Thank you".

I have other DIYs with detailed pictures (such as changing the burned out light bulbs out in the steering wheel for $10.00 for ALL switches, rather than spending $80.00 per switch) or replacing a stepper motor to fix a "guage problem" for $5.00 each in less than an hours time. I am hesitant to take the time to post as I feel its a waste of my time to try to help fellow members that want to talk about "my air ride problem", but "MY" problem is different than the 300+ posts about it. Pitty really.

I belong (and moderate) another automotive forum with more than 3,600 post count in 2 years, many of them are like this thread on DIY fixes W/Pics, the responses from not only the fellow members but also the mod and admin team are VERY appreciative. Last week a fellow member here asked for some technical advice on a simple code (and it wasn't an air ride problem ), understandably there were no replys (ok, no one here knew the answer, acceptable) but then there were a couple of "off topic" replies and the OP had gotten upset and mentioned so and left for another site.

I am sorry if I am coming off as a guy that needs recognition, but again with almost 100 looksies and only 1 reply, how long does it really take to say "thank you" for taking up your precious time to help a complete stranger out!

rant over

Merry Christmas all!
    Cheers

bstiffmanofsteel is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): NONE

But unfortunately most of our members are the silent type. No one replys with ideas or suggestions anymore, people pop in to ask Questions that have been answered a dozen times in other threads, and worst of all when they figure one the solution to their problem, they don't return to spread the information. Hopefully we can all get better at using this forum as a resource and a tool to help each other!
    jnrsesv, jnrsesv and lcrmorgan like this.

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade

very nice write up i wil keep this in mind if any of my younger cousins decide to mess up my upholders they like to play with them lot if i don't have a drink in the upholders i tell them not to do it but they don't listen i hope they stop soon or i will be having to use this write-up on mine luckily i haven't had a broke door with one year of ownership so far hehe
    jnrsesv and jnrsesv like this.

bstiff and cadillacman,

THANK YOU

your welcome from the cadillac man i think this needs to be a sticky to help other people should this happen to them any moderators that read this please make it happen

chacho44 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): escalade esv

I'm gonna try this soon, my ashtray door is stuck open. Seems like a an easy fix. Thanks for the info guys, love this site

DucatiGuido is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Escalade EXT
    Bump for a awesome thread, fixed my door, FYI the little clip mechanism he's referring to is not sold separately and the Unit from Cadillac is 330$ at a independent shops cost, so I broke down my clip to bend the pressure tab back into place, it works ok now still a little quirky but it does work 99% of the time, this also gave me a chance to dig up 10 lbs of trash behind my cup holder. FYI I am NOT mechanically inclined so pretty much anyone can do this, thank you.

rsoaker27 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade

Excellent post!! Ofcourse once I gotten mine apart I "found" the clip, a small spring laying in the bottom..the square plastice piece looks cracked..not sure if someone attempted to "fix" it once before but not much I could do with it. It did give me a chance to clean/vacuum the mess out. But as easy as it was I'll spend some time searching the U pull it junk yards in the future for that bad boy. Thanks again!!

Thanks rsoaker for the comment!

Good luck in your quest at the boneyards.

Black88GTA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 Escalade AWD 6.0L

I was getting ready to start looking for ashtray door / console assemblies on Ebay, since my ashtray has been stuck open ever since I got the truck. I assumed it was permanently broken. Stumbled across this, took it apart, and the clip was right underneath, plus I found $2.70 in change. Works great now, and the little change holder slots are all full! Also took the opportunity to replace a clock bulb and clean out the previous owner's trash from under the console. Thanks for the writeup!

capriRS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade EXT

I know its an old thread but its very helpful! Can i buy the spring loaded clip new? Mine is broken beyond repair! Sorry if i missed this some where but i did a search and came up empty. Maybe somebody can point me in the correct dirrection

Thanks Dalton

BillysBowties is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 2WD Pearl Escalade

I would love to be able to give you thanks for these diy's but I can't figure out how to pull them up, I searched and found nothing, any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BillysBowties
    I would love to be able to give you thanks for these diy's but I can't figure out how to pull them up, I searched and found nothing, any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks
    Remove the bezel around the dash(its the wood trim)after you have tilted the steering wheel to its lowest position then remove the trim around the cd changer(be careful) and then grab the cup holders at both sides(be careful of the power outlet.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.