Cupholder Door Stays Open, Fix W/Pics - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Cupholder Door Stays Open, Fix W/Pics in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Thanks a lot for this very detailed DIY. My ashtray cover won't stay close anymore....
    escalade addict is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Thanks a lot for this very detailed DIY. My ashtray cover won't stay close anymore.

jnrsesv is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 ESV Platinum

Re: Cupholder Door Stays Open, Fix W/Pics

Your welcome. I hope its an easy fix for you.

Airdorn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade AWD 6.0L

I just found this thread, and it's awesome! My cup holder won't close and I just assumed that tearing it apart would bee near-impossible. Now, it's my next-weekend project.

oldrunner is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade ESV

Thank you for your efforts on this writeup.
    I broke mine today and remembered your writeup. Fixed it with not problem.
    Thanks

Thanks for the thanks oldrunner. Glad to be of help.

escalade addict is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    So I tried to fix my ashtray lid and found out the little black plastic tab that locks the lid in place is not there anymore. The whole bottom part of the assembly is just hanging there. All the melted plastic that is supposed to hold it are all broken. I guess the previous owner or some fixing guy didn't care about breaking the lower bezel. I guess it's time order from eBay. But the instruction on the thread was helpful indeed.

xstein61 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade ESV

Nice writeup, and great pics. I am trying it tomorrow if Victor doesn't SLAM STL!

bdaved is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade

I just ran across the post today. Awesome job, thanks for the effort!

tresdad is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade ESV

Just joined your site today. I have been looking for such a forum, and detailed directions to fix my ashtray door as well. A heartfelt thanks to the OP. Please do not get discouraged, and continue in your efforts knowing that they truly are appreciated.

----------

Update...I found my clip and pushed it back into place. I had to use superglue as the plastic was cracked where the clip gets pushed into.
    Everything works very well. I again want to thank you.

I purchased my Escalade from a dealer 2 weeks ago, and they would not fix the door as it 'was too much work to take everything apart' to fix it. I am very happy to have found this site and see how members are so helpful.

Kimberlynatasha is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade ESC

My ashtray door just stopped closing last week! Cannot wait to see if I can fix it on my own! Thanks sharing this!

reddzspace22 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): escalade ext

nice write up never new exactly how center consul/cup holder came apart you make it look and sound like a breeze thanks for the info/pics a+++ job

EasyMoney is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 ESCALADE ESV PLATINUM

Thumbs up Re: Cupholder Door Stays Open, Fix W/Pics

This is my first reply to a forum topic since becoming a new member, and it is because of this forum thread that I decided to join. I recently purchased a 2006 Escalade ESV, and typical of most previously owned vehicles, t has a few minor issues. The console cup holder door not latching being one of them. By following the clear and concise instructions provide by jnrsesv in his (or hers) original posting, I was able to fix my cup holder door in one evening. The actual repair took less than an hour. More time was spent cleaning spilled beverage residue, and change from the cup holder compartment. Like the originator of this thread, the latch that locks and releases the cup holder cover had dislodged from its mounting bracket. As a note to others tackling this repair in the future; the latch is quite small, and may be difficult to locate under the wiring, and brackets. I was just about to give up, and purchase a new one, when I found it well hidden at the bottom of the compartment. I found the most difficult part of this repair to be the replacement of the dash trim bezel. Here again; I was almost ready to give up for the evening, when it popped into place. Be patient, and don't force it! Other than my time, this repair cost me nothing, in fact I made $1.22 from the lost change I found in the cup holder compartment. Not as much as others in previous postings, but enough for a cheap cup of coffee (which I hope not to spill in my newly cleaned cup holder compartment).
    In closing; this is a repair that anyone with patience, and minimal skills can perform in an evening. If jnrsesv is still a member of this forum, and following this thread, I would like to express my appreciation for the time invested in your well written instructions, and detailed photos, which I found superior to manufacturer's, and aftermarket service manuals. I will be searching out other forum postings from this author.

THANK YOU!

EasyMoney

EasyMoney, THANK YOU! I am glad that the DIY helped save you a couple of bucks and was an easy fix.

EasyMoney is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 ESCALADE ESV PLATINUM

In follow up to my previous post, I wanted to warn others of the potential dangers of attempting this repair by themselves, and hopefully spare them the trauma of a near death experience. While repairing the cup holder door I had the interior lights, and radio on, draining the battery. Which I didn't notice until preparing to leave for work the following morning. Upon entering the vehicle, shutting the door, inserting the key into the ignition, and turning it to the start position, lights flashed, buzzers buzzed, clickers clicked, and the DIC sequenced through all of its alerts, and warnings,the electric door locks engaged, with a sequential latching sound, reminiscent of a prison movie, then... silence. The battery was DEAD! There wasn't enough juice left to operate the faux Rolex dash clock, let alone the electric lock solenoids. Now I'm not claustrophobic, and I'm not easily rattled, but as I sat there I pondered my fate. I'm going to be late for work. How hot can it get in a black vehicle on a hot August day? Which window would be cheapest to replace if I have to break one to gain my freedom? Then' a flash of brilliance! I've got OnStar! Upon pressing the OnStar button, my euphoria was immediately extinguished, as it too requires power to operate. Back to contemplating the cost of a replacement window. As I searched for a dull blunt object (other than my head) with which to break the window, I noticed a small slide switch, on the driver's door just above my left elbow, which I immediately recognized as the mechanical door lock operator. DOH!

EasyMoney

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyMoney
    In follow up to my previous post, I wanted to warn others of the potential dangers of attempting this repair by themselves, and hopefully spare them the trauma of a near death experience. While repairing the cup holder door I had the interior lights, and radio on, draining the battery. Which I didn't notice until preparing to leave for work the following morning. Upon entering the vehicle, shutting the door, inserting the key into the ignition, and turning it to the start position, lights flashed, buzzers buzzed, clickers clicked, and the DIC sequenced through all of its alerts, and warnings,the electric door locks engaged, with a sequential latching sound, reminiscent of a prison movie, then... silence. The battery was DEAD! There wasn't enough juice left to operate the faux Rolex dash clock, let alone the electric lock solenoids. Now I'm not claustrophobic, and I'm not easily rattled, but as I sat there I pondered my fate. I'm going to be late for work. How hot can it get in a black vehicle on a hot August day? Which window would be cheapest to replace if I have to break one to gain my freedom? Then' a flash of brilliance! I've got OnStar! Upon pressing the OnStar button, my euphoria was immediately extinguished, as it too requires power to operate. Back to contemplating the cost of a replacement window. As I searched for a dull blunt object (other than my head) with which to break the window, I noticed a small slide switch, on the driver's door just above my left elbow, which I immediately recognized as the mechanical door lock operator. DOH!

EasyMoney
    Just a heads up don't leave the radio going for long periods
    Been there(replacing battery isn't cheap or fun)

Funny story

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.