Air vents have mildew smell
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Air vents have mildew smell in Cadillac Escalade Forums; ...
    Rander is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Air vents have mildew smell

Hi,

I am a new Escalade owner. I purchased a 2000 model on August 6 and when using the air conditioner, there appears to be a slight mildew smell. I read in owner’s manual that air intake vent needs to be kept clean of leaves and dirt, but I have not been able to find any instructions for cleaning the intake vents.

I would appreciate suggestions from someone with experience in this area.

Thanks,

Robert Anderson[FONT=comic sans ms][COLOR=teal]

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Is it humid where you live?? Many have complained of a rotten egg smell, as this could be mold forming or a lack of use of the AC.

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Re: Air vents have mildew smell

Other than making sure your evaporator drain is not clogged, there's not much you can do. I've heard of guys spraying Lysol into the air inlets but don't know whether it really works. I used to have the problem on a few cars years ago. From what I know, it's just caused by water that lays in the ducting and grows moldy. The angle you park you car at, the exact way the ducting was assembled in your particular vehicle, how much you use the A/C, etc, etc, all can be contributing factors. The dealer has a chemical and procedure that does work for getting rid of the smell if all else fails.

GMike is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Lee's Summit MO (Near Kansas City) Go Chiefs!

Cool Re: Air vents have mildew smell

Did you open the hood and check/clean all the vents and duct work at the base of the front windshield? Does your Escalade have in cabin air filtration? I just baught a 2002 and changed out the in cabin air filters (2) under the glove box. They were very very dirty and nasty. It looks like the previous owners just turned them around. They were black on both sides and air flow was very limited. After I put the new filters in and vacuumed out the duct work, the whole vehicle smells nearly new again. Can actually smell the leather now. Hope this helps!

mikeee is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Air vents have mildew smell

I have the same problem, and a friend of mine gave me this link to a product that he tried, and he says it worked. I havent yet ordered the product yet but I will this week.

http://www.acsource.com/product.asp?0=213&1=255&3=136

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.