Arnott OEM rear shock rebuilds - Warning to purchasers
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Arnott OEM rear shock rebuilds - Warning to purchasers in Cadillac Escalade Forums; This information was discussed in recent postings about OEM shocks but since the title didn't mention Arnott or their products, ...
    BDuncan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Arnott OEM rear shock rebuilds - Warning to purchasers

This information was discussed in recent postings about OEM shocks but since the title didn't mention Arnott or their products, I think it's worthwhile to post separately. I was interested in Arnott's rebuilt rear OEM air ride shocks but the description in their catalog made my very curious due to what was not mentioned - anything about rebuilding the actual shock absorber. I called Arnott and got a sales person who really didn't know anything other than sales pitch stuff. After many question and getting nowhere, they took my tel number and said the engineer would call and he actualy did. Here's the facts - The OEM rear air shocks they state in their catalog and on their website are "COMPLETELY REBUILT OEM Air Ride shocks are actually well worn used shocks from other customer's cores with new air bags. They DO NOT rebuild the shock absorbers in any way and do not have the capability to do so. The engineer said "it is the luck of the draw" as to what you get as far as how used the shocks are - does anyone send in nearly new shocks as cores??? The OEM shocks they sell as completely rebuilt may have 50,000, 100,000 miles or more on them but do have new air bags. The engineer said they do a test when they get cores and do discard some of them but all they do is paint the exterior and replace the worn airbag with their new airbag. The worn out shock is what make the vehicle ride like crap, all the airbag does is keep the rear from sagging under load. Arnott also sells brand new Bilstein shocks for Escalades that do not work with the Electronic Ride Control but eliminate it instead and these probably ride very well. My feeling is it's pretty misleading to have everything in print say "Completely Rebuilt OEM shocks" and sell well worn used shocks as such. Make your own decisions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade

Re: Arnott OEM rear shock rebuilds - Warning to purchasers

i guess i won't be getting rebuilt shocks i don't the ride to go down when i replace the shocks. i want it to go up on the ride quality so i am heeding this guys advice about the shocks.

Old Guy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 Tahoe... sold 05 ESV

this is exactly what I wanted to know also... figures too.

So if you truely want new shocks front and rear looks like a dealer is our only option if you are tryig to maintain the electronic controlled suspension. Otherwise your Escalade can ride like any other Yukon, Tahoe or Suburban.

Old Guy - Re: Arnott OEM rear shock rebuilds - Warning to purchasers

From one "Old Guy" to another, the new OEM shocks can be purchased from many online sources for close to half of retail. GM Parts Direct has the best price I've seen so far, $329 rears and I think it was $306 fronts. I need shock bad but am still trying to determine if any of the aftermarkets are worth a try. I'm still leaning toward spending the $$ for the OEMs.

Dude, i am right there with you on this enigma...

I actually just got off the phone with the "Are Not" representitive and actually i got her to say exactly what you heard, they do not rebuild the cores in any way shape or form. Only the airbag itself is replaced, the shock is repainted then sold to us as "completely rebuilt" which is an obvious lie. Sounds like grounds for a major lawsuit on the part of those that have purchased from them since they AreNot completely rebuilt... fitting name.

makes me wonder if the compressors are done the same way???

You know the phone rep actually had the nerve to say "well we have been in business for xx years, we must be doing something right" Yeh screwing customers to maintain a business is a very common way to stay in business but that doesnt make it right.

bpc87 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

wow wish i knew that info like 6 months ago i would not of bought them. i was wondering why the ride really never got better just the back end came up.

Old Guy, "Are Not" - very cleaver. You must have talked to the same lady I did last week - she kept telling me they rebuild everything in the shock except the "core". I kept asking if they used stainless liners and what type piston and seals and did they have magenetic particulate hydraulic fluid and she said no one has ever asked any of this and everything is the same as factory - Yeah, I guess so since they don' touch the used shocks. She didn't have a clue what was in these shocks so I asked what they were referring to as the "core" and she put me on hold and came back and said just the center piece, which we now know is the entire shock absorber. I feel real sorry for those unfortunate owners who were mislead or taken but if I were one I'd be on the phone getting a full refund plus the labor cost to remove the "completely rebuild", completely worn out shocks and the labor to install new "new" shocks.

luxurylife33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 Escalade (sold) 03 Escalade EXT (sold) - 07 Escalade EXT

WOW...

I bought the bilsteins from Arnott ..... i cant believe they would do that! This thread needs to be a sticky! I bet 80% of their Cadillac business comes from this website

i agree with luxurylife33 this warning thread needs to be a sticky so other owners don't get suckered into buying bad shocks.

I third that... sticky this warning to all future potential buyers.

Fellow owners, I started this thread and issue - actually it all started in my original thread asking who had changed to OEM shocks. I agree with this being a sticky if the moderators agree and don't see any issues. My only concern is publishing negative press on Arnott although everything stated and discussed here is true and factual. It my postings about their OEM shocks I have been very carefuil to only state the facts and the information exactly and it was told to me by Arnott representatives. Funny that I am concerned with their reputation and any negative press when they are the ones publishing such misleading or false product information. I always want to be fair - maybe they will get the message and become more honest about their product.

jnrsesv is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 ESV Platinum

BDuncan, thank you for sharing this!

As some of you may have read, I did indeed purchase the reman shocks from Arnott a couple of months ago. I am happy with them, but if I did my homework as BDuncan did, I may have considered the other options.

As stated in OP, the cores I sent from our Escalade had 142,000 miles on them. HHmmmm.......

I also belong to Jaguar forum that some of the vehicles have air ride suspensions. Arnott offers "completely rebuilt" shock for those models. I just have just posted a thread there to see if anyone there will call Arnott and inquire about the rebuild process for Jaguars as BDuncan did. I am sure one of the guys will be posting a phone call!

jnrsesv, sorry you got the used OEMs but if they work OK your a lucky one. Wonder who got your 142,000 mile cores??? Arnott doesn't have the capability to rebuild any shocks, Escalade, Jag, whatever so the Jag guys get the same used OEMs. In reality, rebuilding a shock absorber probably would not be cost effective - guess we should have thought about that sooner. It probably costs millions of dollars to develop and purchase the machinery and tooling to manufacture shocks. The actual cylinder, piston, valving and seals are enclosed in a completely sealed and pressed together assembly - no way to open it other than cutting it in half. Live and learn

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.