Cadillac Owners Forum banner
3K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  CobaltCaddi 
#1 ·
Hey i have a 2002 Escalade and i have a left over JL 1000.1 Amp from my old denali that i ran 2 JL 12 W7's...I have sold both the w7's..And i'm looking to maybe do 1 10" subwoofer that doesnt take up much space...Any ideas on a 10" sub that can handle that power??? ..and take up little space..I want the Absolute BEST SOund quality beacuse i am sick of getting my ears blown out by that big ass ported box i use to have..I just want a little beat behind me and least amount of space taken up...Any stealth boxes out there that fit under your back seat?

#18 ·
ALLeyez187onME said:
hey guys i custom built my box my self, to enclose 2 12" solo barics. But I was wondering if anyone would be interested in buying one, i can lay it out with fiber glass and build another. I can also build it to hold different subs. Here is a few pictures of my box, i think its pretty cool because you can still use your back area.
http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/168547/2
I might be interested in a sealed box under my rear seats like the other guys mentioned. Might go with 2 10" IMAGE DYNAMICS IDQ series subs. What are your prices for something like this?

#20 ·
ALLeyez187onME said:
hey guys i custom built my box my self, to enclose 2 12" solo barics. But I was wondering if anyone would be interested in buying one, i can lay it out with fiber glass and build another. I can also build it to hold different subs. Here is a few pictures of my box, i think its pretty cool because you can still use your back area.
http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/168547/2

On your truck, what is that where the stock radio should be? is it a custom tv, whats it hooked up to play?

#21 ·
Speaking about adding subwoofers.. Im planning to add a 1200 watts rms Db Drive subwoofer and a Hi-Fonics amp with 1500 watts rms to power it, and upgrade to a Yellow top Optima battery,what Can I do to protect my electronics? I currently have a 1 farad capacitor... should I buy a 2 farad? :confused:

I also want to be able to listen the Stereo with the truck turn off sometimes, because you know this truck suck gas a lot,so will the Optima help me to do that? :confused:

And finally :) it is true that Optima baterries recharge themlseve if you leave it alone for a while? :confused:

Thanks and I hope you can Help me :D

#22 ·
First off, the amp and sub you mentioned aren't considered the upper tear of possible systems, and not even the middle...I am not trying to bash your setup, but just realize that the government does NOT mandate what constitutes a "watt." Many amplifiers will give huge numbers as to what watts they put out, but are lucky if they put out 25-50 TRUE watts. This is why, most upper level amps cost about $1 per watt, and deliver a true watts of power. To protect your electronics, you should have it properly installed by a professional and they will know what to do. The Optima Yellow top deep cycle is designed to be completely depleted and still retain the ability to recharge to complete capacity. So, yes it will help when you play your system with vehicle off. However, recognize that for SPL and such, your vehicle will need to on, because a battery cannot put out as much power as quickly as an alternator. As for the farad cap, I am going to tell you to RUN from them. Too many places promote them, and they really aren;t as great as people think. For starters, when you turn on your vehicle, your capacitor will want to be charged immediately, so it will rob power from your system until it is completely charged. Second, when you play a really deep bass note, the capacitor will provide electric for it, but understand that the capacitor will want to be immediately replenished, so once again it robs power from your system. You get the picture? I know of only one amplifier/system that works GREAT with a capacitor and that is the Brax line fo amplifiers, which will run you around $1500-$2000 per amp. I used to have one, and built into the amplifier is a switching system which charges the capacitor. When there is a need for extra power, it draws from the capacitor, but does not let the capacitor draw from its power unless there exists an excess of power, at which time, the capacitor charges. Since, you are most likely not looking to spend this much for an amp(s), you should look into a high output alternator, which will give your system all the juice it could possibly need from the get go. The best (power for $s)I have found so far is: http://www.4alterstart.com/pages/st...ghoutputalternators&uid=15654&returnURL=http:

Anyway, good luck...

#23 ·
Thanks for the info joshuap ! What subs and amp brand or model do you consider to be the best bang for the buck ? And I dont know if I can install thr alternator because my dad told me not to mess to much with the truck ( I already burned one of the 3 computers that the truck have, I think it was a pro sound installer installing it amps and woofers ,even he is a pro, in Mexico is VERY RARE to see a Escalade with sound, so I think he was experimenting with the bose system and accidentally fried the computer)

#24 ·
Ok, if you want a really awesome combination of SQ (Sound Quality) and SPL (Sound Pressure level) look into Image Dynamics. Their IDMax sub is incredible, as well as their lower level IDQ and ID subs. However, you must understand that each individual has his/her own preferences. Nonetheless, Image Dynamics is seen as one of the leaders, but is not the only leader...How do you plan to get singal for an amp if he burnt up on of the computers? I doubt he burnt up a computer, but may have hurt he headunit. If you have the Bose system, you should check out www.peripheralelectronics.com, because they make a device which connects into the databus of the Bose system and will give you adjustable level RCA outputs to go to an amp...expect to pay about $110 for this. Believe it or not, a high output alternator is safer and a better option then farad caps...just have a mechanic install it and you should have nothing to worry about.

#25 ·
Well, when the installer finally managed to add a rca converter to the bose system ,after many days, and power up the amp we tought everything was okay because everything worked fine, but like 2 days later when i returned to my city i noticed the amp had the red led on (it was protecting itself) and the sound didnt worked, but then a few days later the escalade check engine sign turned on and the truck shut off completly, good thing i dont drive very fast, so with the impulse and the handwheel very stiff I parked on the side.

We tought it was a gasoline dirty thing, because here the gas quality sucks big time, so the truck worked a couple of days ok, but it stopped again with me driving it..

If i tried to start it right away it didnt work out, but if I waited a couple of minutes it always started...

I took it to the mechanic and he told me that the baterry cable was very loose, so he tighted it up, and sudennly the amp and the woofers started to sound too, and we tought that was the cause the truck shutt off and the sound not working.

So I was good for a couple of days and it hapenned again, so They connected it to their computer and the error codes told that a chip on the pedal was faulty, so they ordered a new one from the cadillac dealer and then the truck started fine but the STABILITY SYSTEM DISABLED sign was on.

So they told me that the truck was ok and besides I had to wait for the cadillac mechanic to came to my city, like I told you the cadillac brand is relatively new in here so they use cadillacs mechanics from other citys...

And i was fine like 40 days when suddenly the truck turned off again, so my dad Send it to the nearest Cadillac dealer, wich is very far from my city like 7 hours, and there they told me that one of the 3 computers was fried, that a big discharge of voltage did it, but they checked the sound and they said that the current was well distributed, but that maybe the sound installer when he was experimenting with the bose system, because you know its very different from a normal stereo, touched or connected something that didnt should and fried the principal computer.... but they are not sure what happened really ....

SO.... my question is did the installer touched sometingh it shouldnt ?
Or did the loose baterry cable fried the computer ?

I didnt have my escalade for 2 months.. but because of that my dad told not to mess with the electronics, so I just want to do it simple things like adding a Optima baterry and things like that, because when If I left something on like the warning lights,but for a very long time, the other day i left them like 6 hours on, oopss, someone gave me current with his car, or I hear my subs with a lot of bass with the truck off like 40 minutes the baterry almost dies completly.....

thank you for reading this long post..... :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.