Cadillac Owners Forum banner

A/C problem in 99 escalade

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Esco04 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and I sure hope someone can help. I had my A/C serviced once befor and it blew out cold air for about 50 miles, since then it just blowes out warm air so I tried putting leak detector in the system and it showed no sighnes of leaking. The A/C compressor will only kick on when I add enough refrigerant to put it in the yellow zone or warning as it sais on the gage. When I do add that much the compressor just kicks on for about 5 secounds and back off. What could it be? I cant afford at the moment to have it serviced so is there a way to fix this my own?

#2 · (Edited)
Anyone can fix it on their own.. You just need to know what the hell your doing. First of all....

since then it just blowes out warm air so I tried putting leak detector in the system and it showed no sighnes of leaking.
You wont even see the leak detector showing up until you get the compressor to run.

The A/C compressor will only kick on when I add enough refrigerant to put it in the yellow zone or warning as it sais on the gage.
I am assuming the yellow starts at 45 psi on your gauge. The low side pressure should be 34 psi (39 Degrees)

When I do add that much the compressor just kicks on for about 5 secounds and back off. What could it be?
With out proper pressure readings and sh/sc it could be a million things. Could be bad low pressure switch, high pressure switch, plugged metering device, etc.

#4 ·
Had a similar problem in my 04. I just needed more refrigerant.
If the refrigerant is too low, the compressor will kick on and off. The low-pressure switch will detect low pressure at about 25 psi, then the compressor will come on and try to pump up the pressure, then the pressure will be too high at about 60 or more psi and the high-pressure switch will shut off the compressor. But there's not enough refrigerant to maintain the pressure. The pressure will then drop and that cycle starts again. (also called short-cycling)
Get a can of refrigerant with the gauges on it. You may need an extra can, get just another can without gauges & you can reuse the gauges. Read the instructions for proper gauge reading, the gauges will swing wildly for a while but basically add refrigerant until the lowest reading is around 40 psi. The highest reading will go into the yellow or red, but don't worry about that, the high switch should cut off the compressor.
If the compressor never kicks on, could be a low switch. If the compressor won't shut off, that could be a faulty high switch.
Hope that helps!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.