Normal operation for air ride compressor
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Normal operation for air ride compressor in Cadillac Escalade Forums; All I have a 2005 Escalade and have had problems with the air ride for about the last year. The ...
    Stardaddyed is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade

Normal operation for air ride compressor

All

I have a 2005 Escalade and have had problems with the air ride for about the last year. The problem, I think, is that it runs for about a minute then is off for a while (less then 5) then runs again. It does this ALL the time, people full or empty. I finally got a message for a suspension failure and they fixed it by changing the compressor and a kinked hose. However it still does the same behavior of running a lot. I am afraid that the compressor is going to burn out again. I have squirted soap under the car to see if I could find a leak but can't see anything (but I wouldn't count on that).

Is this the normal behavior? What else could it be or where I should look.

Thanks
    Ed

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

bstiffmanofsteel is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): NONE

Re: Normal operation for air ride compressor

Not normal. Compressors usually run for 10 to 15 seconds, only when the load changes or at start up.

jnrsesv is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 ESV Platinum

Have you sprayed the rubber boots located at the bottom of the shocks themselves? This is where my shocks leaked air (also a 2005) causing the compressor to run intermediately. I replaced the air shocks with Arnotts remanufactered at about $400.00.

Issue solved.

There is really no inexpensive way of resolving the problem correctly.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

sounds like the classic leaky shock bladder...
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Old Guy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 Tahoe... sold 05 ESV

there may not be an inexpensive way to fix it correctly but I have a really cheap way to fix it temporarily that has been working for me. Remove each of the rear sensors, they are bolted to the frame with a single bolt, stick a washer in between the bracket and the frame and then reattach... test. You may need to add another to shorten the run time more but this changed my run times from about what yours was running to about 7-10 seconds and rarely thereafter while running(as far as I can hear it anyway). My boots dont show signs of leaking but I have a theory...

After time your vehicles springs start to settle and therefore your ass end will sit a bit lower to the ground. The OEM ride height settings dont allow, nor account for this and therefore the only way to compensate is for the system to air your shocks up enough till it reaches its original stock settings. I was having to drive around before with a really aired up rear which was unusually harsh and bouncy. Not anymore... plus it seems to be functioning fine when I do pull a load or cram it full of people and stuff.

You would think that the engineers would have thought of that
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Old Guy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 Tahoe... sold 05 ESV

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    You would think that the engineers would have thought of that
    well considering that most of our rides dont exhibit these problems til after the factory warranty runs out, I dont doubt that the engineers did think of this problem. What a great way to sell lots of shocks and ride compressors CP instead of warranty!

MaxFloss is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 EXT

where are these sensors?

#17 is the sensor...

#15 is the link that connects the sensor (which is attached to the frame) to the body

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.