Powered soft Tonneau
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By niftymonte
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Powered soft Tonneau in Cadillac Escalade Forums; ...
    Libretto is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Powered soft Tonneau

Hi folks,

I like to introduce myself first an to say "Hello" to everybody!

Im a german and live not far away from Dusseldorf. Some weeks ago I bought an 2006 ESCALADE EXT (old model) an I really love this car. Ive been several times in the USA and this year I could afford to by this large, good looking car.

The car has an electric soft tonneau bed cover, but it is not working at all. The tonneau ist closed and the wire to te two motors seem to be removed. I guess it was not working and someone may just cut it of. The wire on the side of the bed is still there. I did not check already if it has power or not, because first of all i have to get the motors working or replaced...

I opend the tailgate and removed the 4 torx screws of the platic cover of the motorized unit on the top to have a look on the two motors, because I was missing the wire

I nearly could see nothing because the bed cover is closed and I like to know how I could move forward, because I do not know how to proceed. I have some questions:
    1. If the motors are not working at all is it possible to replace them with 3rd party market motors?
    2. How could I get a closer look to the motor unit without removing the whole bed cover, because i do not have a garage and might get in trouble if I could not close it again.
    3. If everything would not work I have to by a new tonneau and I would prefer a hard tonneau one which a bit more security. DO you know a company which provide roll, slide or other covers who ship to germany?
    I really need your help guys!!!

At the top of my blog site you could see my truck:

escalade-ext.blogspot.com

Best regards

Libretto

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

bstiffmanofsteel is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): NONE

Re: Powered soft Tonneau

It is an after market cover so most of us can't help you. The EXT comes with a 3 piece hard cover that remove separately.

niftymonte is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade

Does it power up at all? try bench testing it to see if you can get it to turn on. If you can't the motor is probably broken but if you can it might have been the wires. Check all the wires to see if they are pinched or broken or even hooked up to anything.

Does it have a name on the cover or motor at all? If it does you could try contacting the company to see if they make replacements or even have a troubleshooting website.

See, just cause its aftermarket we can help

bstiffmanofsteel is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): NONE

Quote Originally Posted by niftymonte View Post
    See, just cause its aftermarket we can help
    Nice, But I did say most

Libretto is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hi Folks,

sorry, but it seems I did not get an email to check the replies. Thank you for asking for further details...

As far as I can see in 2006 the powerd soft tonneau was one of the rare acessories for the EXT you could get and offerd directly from Cadillac. I read this in the list of options of this year.

Right now I came a bit further and can tell you some more details. Because of the situation the cover was closed when I got the car it was not very easy to get the thin open, because there were four Torx screws which had to be removed. I user a very short screwdriver for this, because the screw were on the upper side. Under the cover I found two motors and both are working when you feed them with 12 Volt

The tonneau slides easyly in the open and closed position but the situation with 4 7 feet wires to open and close the bed is not as comfortable as it should be. As far as I can see the complete control unit got "lost" and i need a replacement for it to get all stuff working. There is also a bedlight in the case for the two motors and a rubberknob to klose (maybe open) the bed directly on the case. I thing one is for opening the bed and the second is for closing it. Does anyone know which one is ment for what or does it not care...?

I will place some pictures on my side so you might know what to do:

Go to escalade-ext.blogspot.com and have a look at the last posts because Im not allowed to post links

There is a wire with 12Volt near by on the left side. When I got the car there were no wires in the motor unit at all and not control unit as well.

I guess it works like this:

The (lost) Unit gets constantly 12 Volt
    The unit "knows" where the end point OPEN and CLOSE are and stops the motor(s)
    The unit controls the light of the lamp
    The unit got a emereny funktion to CLOSE the bed without a remote

Has anyone an idea?

best regards

Gustav

comonroots is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 02' EXT
    If you could post some pictures we would have a better idea as to what we are working with.

JMAC

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.