03 Fuel Pump problems I think
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, 03 Fuel Pump problems I think in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I got an 03 Lade AWD well it died on my comming down the road and then wouldn't start again ...
    Da32212 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade AWD

03 Fuel Pump problems I think

I got an 03 Lade AWD well it died on my comming down the road and then wouldn't start again after that unless you hit the tank with a hammer!! So I just wanna make sure it is just the Fuel pump before I buy it and it might be something else like the fuel filter or fuel pump relay

Thanks Guy's
    Danny

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade

Re: 03 Fuel Pump problems I think

it is the fuel pump going bad if it has been let go so low to where it has ran out of fuel it will burn up the pump

but check the relay first before replacing the pump never know when those can go bad and also check the fuses

cusomano is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade

I just did my 03 Escalade today as a matter of fact. Same symptoms as yours. I replaced it with a Delphi pump as it comes with an upgraded wiring harness, connector, and fuel level sensor. The part number was DP FG0324. Apparently the old style electrical connector has a tendency to heat up and melt the plug giving you an intermittent connection. I replaced the pump on the floor in my garage and I swear it took longer to drain the full fuel tank than it did to replace the pump. Take my advice, whatever you do, don't install the pump without the upgraded harness as you will be replacing it again in the near future. If you have any questions, fire away

06Caddykeith is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade

sounds like a poor connection at the harness

bevanet is offline Cadillac Owners Member

cusomano, Did you need any special tools to get the fuel line connectors apart? I did this on a 01 ford pickup and they had a special tool to release the small fuel lines. I ordered the delphi pump. Thanks

No, I didn't need a special tool but if I remember correctly, I had to push both sides of the fuel line locking clip together to release the lines. BTW, you should be able to slowly lower the fuel tank in order to gain access to the fuel lines attached to the top of the tank. Additionally, you are going to have to transfer the locking clips to the new fuel pump assy. If you need any other information, feel free to ask. Best of luck with your project

Old Guy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 Tahoe... sold 05 ESV

You know you would think one day the designers of vehicles would take pity on us and put a freakin access panel above the fuel tanks so you could replace all that without all the hassle. I mean if there is room to take a sawsall and cut a hole and miss anything important, surely they could have worked that in for a couple more bucks.

Old Guy, you're preachin' to the choir. I owned a 1991 Firebird and a 2000 Z/28 and had to replace fuel pumps in both cars. If you think replacing the pump on the Escalade is tough, you never tried it on one of these cars. They were prime examples of needing an access door to swap the pumps

Old Guy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 Tahoe... sold 05 ESV

I have a Dodge Neon and at least Chrysler was smart enough to put the fuel access on the lower side of the tank so all you have to do is drive it almost out of gas, jack up the pass side of the car to tilt whats left in the tank over to the other side and your good to go.

Drmorgan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 AWD Escalade

Ok, I had the same thing happen to my 2003. I don't know if there is a special place to hit the tank, but I can't get it running from hitting the tank and this is the first and only time I have had a problem with it. My battery is no longer holding a charge, so I replaced it and it still isn't starting even after hitting the tank!!! Any reset buttons anybody know about?? Already checked the fused and the relay, all good.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy
    You know you would think one day the designers of vehicles would take pity on us and put a freakin access panel above the fuel tanks so you could replace all that without all the hassle. I mean if there is room to take a sawsall and cut a hole and miss anything important, surely they could have worked that in for a couple more bucks.
    I agree but they ain't going to do that since it won't be a money maker for the dealer but I wish they would do that as 600 to for the pump and replacing it is outrageous I would have done it myself but my back won't let me do it(I already had to replace my pump)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.