Rear Brake Wear
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Rear Brake Wear in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I have an 02 EXT that I have owned since new. Odo sits at 115k. I had a Ground Effects ...
    jgriff is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 02 EXT

Rear Brake Wear

I have an 02 EXT that I have owned since new. Odo sits at 115k. I had a Ground Effects lowering kit (3/2 I believe) installed when new, and put in Baer 14" front and rear rotors, along with 22s installed then as well. I tow a boat (6500 lbs) and a utility trailer, both on occasion during the summer. I have noticed that when doing brake maintenance (changing pads) the rear brakes are worn at twice the rate as the fronts. Does the brake system have a proportioning valve that might be the problem? Is it adjustable? I would think that if I'm not getting the proper pressure to the fronts that I'm not getting the stopping power that I should. I have read on a few other posts here of a similar complaint, but no suggestions as to why this might be happening. Any suggestions what to look for?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BDuncan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Rear Brake Wear

jgriff,
    I have observed the same on my 2003, rear pads wear 2, 3 times faster than fronts. I have 125K miles and only on my second set of front pads which are still very good. My theory is that there is a proportioning valve/setup biased toward the rear. My guess is GM did this on a 3 ton "luxury" vehicle to prevent nose dive on braking. Nose dive on a truck this heavy would be very noticable and not a luxury trait - just guessing.

gmercedesbenz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by BDuncan View Post
    jgriff,
    I have observed the same on my 2003, rear pads wear 2, 3 times faster than fronts. I have 125K miles and only on my second set of front pads which are still very good. My theory is that there is a proportioning valve/setup biased toward the rear. My guess is GM did this on a 3 ton "luxury" vehicle to prevent nose dive on braking. Nose dive on a truck this heavy would be very noticable and not a luxury trait - just guessing.
    Agreed, I could see them doing that.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Eldo1953 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 53 Eldo, 54 CDV, 74 FWB 96 FWB (sold),1998 STS(sold), 03 ESV

This is the case. GM designed the rear brakes on this vehicle to do much more work.

7. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.