Need advice from GM mechanic regarding Tech II RE: Gauge Cluster
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Need advice from GM mechanic regarding Tech II RE: Gauge Cluster in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I am looking to purchase a new gauge cluster for my Escalade. I am looking for info from a GM ...
    CaddyEscalade is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Escalade

Need advice from GM mechanic regarding Tech II RE: Gauge Cluster

I am looking to purchase a new gauge cluster for my Escalade. I am looking for info from a GM tech regarding the mileage. Can a mechanic program the correct mileage for my vehicle on the new cluster with a GM Tech 2? I have not been able to find any information on this.

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: Need advice from GM mechanic regarding Tech II RE: Gauge Cluster

A Tech2 will HAVE to be used to program the mileage (as far as I know).
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    A Tech2 will HAVE to be used to program the mileage (as far as I know).
    Thanks, just would like to know for sure before I buy a cluster. If it is too much of a huge deal then i wont bother. I have people can be real touchy when discussing mileage adjustment, and I know someone with access to a Tech 2.

where are you buying a cluster?
    if it's a used cluster then you might have a problem, but if you're buying a new cluster i have to as where are you buying from?

if you are buying from one of the ESCs (electronic service centers) like specmo or united radio then it's a possibility that they will program the mileage for you
    they will let you know if they can or can't

i wouldn't get a cluster from anywhere but the ESCs
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

smelly$cat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 ESV

I'm curious WHY you are buying a new cluster. They can usually be repaired for CHEAP via various ebay services. Just fixed my friends suburban for 50.00 plus shipping to the tech. His speedo was way off. They replaced all the stepper motors and bulbs for this price and shipped it back to him.

Quote Originally Posted by smelly$cat View Post
    They replaced all the stepper motors and bulbs for this price and shipped it back to him.
    if this is your problem then check with your local dealers first and ask about the 'special coverage' for the instrument clusters... they were covering up to 70,000 or 80,000 miles (i think) and if you have a good relationship with your dealer they can 'goodwill' it for you if they want no matter what your mileage

---

and the ESCs will do pre-exchanges for you. they will send you a cluster and hold your credit card info in case you don't send back your core - usually costs less than $200 (i think)

or you can send it in to them and they'll call you w/ a repair cost ($35 or so for diagnostic in case you decline the repair)

I found a wrecked 06 for parts with a nicer looking gauge cluster. I believe the mileage is actually higher than on my truck, so I want to make sure if I buy it that I can get it adjust to match my mileage. I just want to know if it can be done first before I go and talk to my dealer, as I am not sure what they will say about the process. I want to see from someone who has done this, to make sure I am not told something different.

Thanks for the help, hopefully there is a Caddy tech who can help.

There is also a NAV unit available, so maybe I can kill 2 birds from the delaer and have them program the milage and change the VIn on the Nav unit. As I know this can be done with a Tech 2 unit.

dealers typically don't like to do this kind of stuff... but good luck ... i would think that' it's possible - just getting it done is going to be the hard part

definitely check out the threads on this site regarding the nav upgrade mod

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.