Adding Sub to Stock Amp?!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Adding Sub to Stock Amp?! in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Hey guys (and gals if applied...lol)...this is the deal. I need some more THUMP to my bose system in my ...
    AndrewAdams211 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac Escalade

Adding Sub to Stock Amp?!

Hey guys (and gals if applied...lol)...this is the deal. I need some more THUMP to my bose system in my 04 Escalade...I have a 12" sub I'd like to just piggy back off of the existing stock amplifier and add the signal to send to my 12" sub in the back. So that leads to 2 questions...WHERE is the amp?? And HOW do I get to it?? I need step by step instructions. I'm good with my hands, but I'd rather too much instruction than not enough.

PLEASE HELP!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

comonroots is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 02' EXT
    Why do you want to use the stock amp to push a sub?

Re: Adding Sub to Stock Amp?!

Just to give me a little bit more bass...don't need to shake the street. Just don't want to over do it. And I don't think the stock amp would let me anyway....you know?

I honestly think it would be a waste of time and money. But since I will have my truck ripped up this wknd ill test it out and let you know how it sounds.

That would be great. Thanks a lot!!!!!

Ok...update!!! I took it apart today to see the harness and figure out which wire is going to the sub. I heard the wire going to the sub is under the cup holders so that's what I took apart. Does ANYONE have a clue which wire is going to the BOSE subwoofer?

Here's a picture of the wires I'm looking at...

[IMG][/IMG]

Never hurts to try and figure it out before you post. Here's the sub connection.

Esco04 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Escalade EXT

Actually I did this with my EXT. Left the OEM subwoofer and amp in place. Unplugged the speaker wires from the OEM subwoofer and connected them to the high level speaker inputs on the amp, then installed a 10" subwoofer box (custom fit, off Ebay) under the left side back seat. You'll have to adjust the gain on the amp to minimize distortion & to your taste in loudness.
    Sounds great & bumps hard! Pretty easy install, too.

Great info guys, but where is this wire that's pointed out in the pictures??? Do I have to take the whole dash apart to get to that sub?? That's what I'm trying to avoid...but if I have to, I'll need some more detailed instructions if I can find them. With THAT I don't know where to start.

Anyway, I need this wire first...where is it???? Thank you guys so much...I just joined this forum and I'm lovin the info...I'll post pictures of the finished product also.

You should see those green and blue wires in the amp. Test the wires to make sure they actuate the sub. If that's the case then you have your wires.

Carvone is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 STS 1SG & 10 STS 1SG

The best way to do this is to install a C2A-GM24 from pac-audio http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=28
    This piece plugs into the back of the bose stereo and gives you a clean preout to install an amp and sub/s in the back.
    Read up on the GM Bose systems, they don't like to be messed with.

cdubb79 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade

I would definitely not recommend hooking your aftermarket sub up to the factory sub out wiring. You're really risking burning out that channel, while the sound quality actually sounding worst. The bose amp only produces a minimal amount of wattage and a certain ohm load, which is probably 8ohms. Not sure though. DON'T DO IT. Purchase a aftermarket amp. and you can grab the signal from there if you want, but just know that the signal coming from the amp is already crossed over. So if you want the full range to play with you need to get it from the head unit.

Esco04 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Escalade EXT

Yeah, I did try connecting the OEM sub outs directly to my underseat 10" sub woofer box, & it did sound poor. Then, like I said in my previous post, I hooked them up to an amp through its high level (speaker) inputs, then hooked the amp up in mono to the underseat sub. It's been two years now & no problems, bumps rather nicely! I would recommend this method.
    BTW, I did have to take the console out to get at the OEM sub wiring. There might be an easier way, but I couldn't find it.

Ok great...I'll just do the method with wiring behind the head unit. That seems to be the best way. THANKS!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.