Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Backseat Radio

8K views 33 replies 8 participants last post by  the cadillac man 
#1 ·
I recntly replaced my factory radio with a new Kenwood that has nav, satelite, backup camera, dvd, etc....
The problem I'm having is the backseat radio no longer works.
The installer told me that it won't because I took out the front factory radio. Has anyone had this issue, and if so, what did you do to fix it?

#6 ·
Supposedly the Meta GMOS-14 allows you to keep the RSE. I'm not sure what the limitations are. The manual doesn't really describe what RSE capability the GMOS-14 provides.

I will be putting a Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT and using the GMOS100. I don't care about the RSE because my rear dvd player and tv screens are aftermarket. I will be able to wire the Z130 directly into rear screens.

#10 ·
i will definitely post back with pics and a complete write-up as i didn't see alot of details on here specific to aftermarket radios. i'm just waiting on the GMOS100, antenna adapter and dash kit. hopefully i won't lose rear hvac control. if not, no biggie...passengers will just have to suck it up and let me control the temps.

i'll also post up a complete write-up of a compustar + drone mobile install (complete w/autofold mirrors on arm/disarm). i'm just waiting for the ads-blade al.

#11 ·
you will still have it in the front so you will be better off just putting the control to auto and just adjust the temp it may not the range the rear controls would give cause it is like the front driver and passenger controls in the front that goes form 60 to 90 on the temp range you ain't losing much anyway but nice screen beats cutting up the headrests on the front seats to put screens in them

#12 ·
I honestly never even thought about rear HVAC controls until I just read that. I have kids, so I control the temp up front anyways. I also have a roof mounted flip down screen. The seat heaters still work fine. Like I said, I did this to get rid of that other piece that I wasn't gonna be able to use anymore.

#13 ·
I kept the factory nav and installed an additional indash monitor for entertainment. She can watch movies, I can keep track of where I'm at in harmony lol. I still have the controls in the rear HVAC and Radio, but no sound comes from the rear head phone plugs.. (weird). But the rear overhead monitor has it's own built in DVD player, and wireless head phones. I probably could find an adapter that would make the head phone jacks for the radio (rear ent center) work again, since the factory head unit is still connected. Never thought about it till I read this post yesterday and tried to get the radio to play through the head phones. The heater controls work and I can change radio stations with the controls.. just no sound through the head phone jacks.

#14 ·
try all of the sources if it still don't work it might have to be replaced if you have the rear seat dvd system try using it with the rear audio controls to see if it works if this don't work i would say the headphone amps in the unit is bad cause it should since you didn't remove the factory radio which would mean the rear seat audio controls will have to be replaced

#16 ·
The rear overhead monitor is aftermarket too. I used the rear controls to cycle through Sirus, HD and regular radio. No sound but it scans channels and functions properly with the HVAC controls. I'm sure it has something to do with the aftermarket headunit installed up front. There's probably another adapter I can have installed, or have something reconnect that was looked over by the installers.

#19 · (Edited)
My aftermarket Head unit runs through my Factory nav... I still use the volume controls from my factory NAV to control the aftermarket unit. I can unplug the harness and everything is back to normal, but my aftermarket unit won't have sound. The door panels are large enough to put four more speakers in them. (I have four speakers in the front, thought I could install an extra set of speakers to the factory nav, so it would have it's own set of speakers and the aftermarket could use the existing bose speakers but the bose system complicated that idea. not possible). One day I just might, maybe reconnect the factory nav to the door speakers (remove harness) and have a completely new set of speakers installed for the aftermarket headunit (have them run from an amp to components). I have more ideas than ways to finance them at the moment lol. I'll go outside and take a picture of the front panel and my hidden switches in a sec, might help to understand all my gibberish.

Did some editing cause I didn't even make sense to myself after reading it.

#20 ·
The second set of speakers where going to be installed for the Factory Nav, so I could still use the voice nav playback. (They tried,didn't work)

Nav stays up the entire trip at all times.. And the passenger just watch a movie (and let you just listen to the engine) lol

One in the rear playing for the kids (So, they don't have to watch what is playing in front)

Left switch (toggle the ground, Play in motion or not) Right switch (toggle sound for factory nav on/off) didn't work

headsets incase.. incase I say so!

front and back play different movies. aftermarket unit has zones, front and rear can play different inputs at same time (speaker sounds too).

Everything is functional but the sound doesn't come through the headset jacks. (big deal)

#21 ·
i would leave the stock setup alone and use the aftermarket speakers with the kenwood unit so you can have everything working in harmony one big reason for this is the stock head unit is not like the kenwood unit and is only two channels and a fixed volume and Bose amp does the volume control cause it having the lux amp i am really sure on this that is why you can use the aftermarket radio plus it will interfere with the amp in the kenwood and over time it might mess both radios up big time and i know it is not fun having to run speaker wire but if you mess the stock radio up you won't be able to use the nav don't ask how the bose amp works like that it just does it takes two channels of audio and turns them into four btw the setup looks great how you have it love the big alpine dvd screen i just hope the info helps

#22 ·
If I had the time and means, I would definitely keep the factory nav. connected to the stock speakers and just buy a new set of component speakers and an amp, then connect them to the kenwood. I've had it this way for the last two years and it works for now. I would prefer to have the kenwood on it's own set of speakers and the factory nav on the bose, if it were only a matter of preference lol

#23 ·
but that is the best way so it won't mess up anything cause you may mess up the amps in the kenwood doing it like this i know i wired my home theater system and home audio system to the same speakers but i can't use both or it will mess them up and make them both unusable it will be the same way with your radios in you truck and i know you have a lot of money already tied into the system take my word you don't want to mess up both radios that is one reason that it making your rear seat audio controls not put out sound when you have both radios on.
good luck on finishing the setup this the first time i ever seen two radios in one truck cool

#24 ·
btw how did you get power to the kenwood??? i need to know in case my stock cd changer decides to crap out on me it is making odd noises which is not common with a cd changer and there is now i am putting 400 dollars or more into a new cd changer i will do like you and put in a second radio for my music and leave the stock for the onstar

#26 ·
dang i was hoping you would know i'd say they used the stock power wires for the aftermaket radio
um is that a set of Bose headphones i see in that one pic???
but is not fully the work of bose part of the reason is gm which is why i hope my bose speakers last a while but if they don't i might run aftermarket speaker using a amp after the bose amp for the aftermarket and let the bose amp be the crossover the speakers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.