Stealership never put in any tranny fluid!!!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Stealership never put in any tranny fluid!!!! in Cadillac Escalade Forums; So to get to the point the transmission can shift from 1st to 2nd THATS IT! It wont shift into ...
    xxe92xx is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '10 Premium EXT

Stealership never put in any tranny fluid!!!!

So to get to the point the transmission can shift from 1st to 2nd THATS IT! It wont shift into third. I took it to a independent shop and the guy drove it and noticed the obvious problem so he looked under the hood and checked the transmission fluid dip stick. NO FLUID! So I took it to the cadillac dealership that changed all my fluids a month ago and they noticed the same stuff.

The tech at the caddy dealership added 1 quart of oil to the transmission. I was confused because if the dip stick says theres no fluid in the transmission than what the hell is 1 quart of fluid going to do??? Theres only 2 ways that could have caused this problem 1) There was a massive leak and I dumped out 12 quarts of fluid!!! or 2) they never put in any fluid after they flushed the tranny

Thoughts? Should I get a brand new transmission for this bullshit?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CEPMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac Escalade ESV

Re: Stealership never put in any tranny fluid!!!!

If you could either 1. Prove they did it or 2. Get them to admit to it, then yes. But even if they were to admit to it or believe you, they'd first just fill it up and test it out. If everything worked, there's no way they'd suck up that much money just to make you feel good.

the tech said something along the lines of this: we checked the fluid and as you said the dipstick showed no fluid and there is also a sign of a minor leak....we added 1 quart of fluid, test drove it and the problem was still there (wouldnt shift into 3rd gear)

what i dont understand is if the tranny needs 12 quarts to perform correctly, why just add 1 quart? according to the dipstick there is no fluid in the tranny so why add only 1 quart? so if the dipstick showed no fluid then that means theres no fluid in the tranny..correct? and if there is a minor/small leak how long would it take to dump out 12 quarts of fluid?? the service was done 2/8/11 and i brought it on on 3/29/11

we have the invoice/recepit of the work that was done and it states on there that driveline service was performed...differentials, transmission, transfer case

theres no way they cant admit they caused this, because like i said there are only 2 possibilites and 1 of those possibilities is more believable than the other

what i think happened is the tech flushed the tranny, emptied the the fluid, put everything back together and forgot to add the tranny fluid

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V

Well, I'm not sure if this is about your 2010 truck because you are in the wrong forum (this is for 1999-2006 trucks, we have a separate forum for 2007-2012), but with a purchase date THAT recent and proof of prior service performed that recently, there is really no way they can get out of this. Everything is stacked against them because not only did they supposedly perform the inspections and services that should have caught this, or may have CAUSED it, but you have factory warranty on top of that.

Sometimes these situations can be difficult to rectify since they are going to look out for their bottom line, but I would be very leery of letting them just fill it back up and sending you on your merry way. If it DOES fail later, it will be more difficult to prove that your abuse didn't cause the damage. These 6L80 6 speeds have enough problems without this kind of ridiculous mix-up.

its a 2004 AWD with 80,000 miles

can anyone tell me how many quartz the transmission dip stick reads?

the dealership called today and said the transmission will need to be replaced, they dont know "what" caused it....what im wondering is if the fluid was low enough to cause this because before i had my trucks fluids changed (tranny, transfer, differential) it was running fine, i mean the tranny "slipped" once a blue moon but it was fine no problems

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

i would assume that when there's just a bit of fluid on the dipstick there's still a bunch of fluid in there (no clue though as to how much)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    i would assume that when there's just a bit of fluid on the dipstick there's still a bunch of fluid in there (no clue though as to how much)
    there was some on the very end of it and it had a burning smell

yeah obviously it's not supposed to be operated that low and if they're saying it needs to be replaced and you just had it serviced by them you probably have a leg to stand on

but

how you approach the situation (and their service manager) will probably have a lot to do with how the situation gets resolved

firm yet polite is how i describe the best approach to these types of situations
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    yeah obviously it's not supposed to be operated that low and if they're saying it needs to be replaced and you just had it serviced by them you probably have a leg to stand on

but

how you approach the situation (and their service manager) will probably have a lot to do with how the situation gets resolved

firm yet polite is how i describe the best approach to these types of situations
    ok so judging by your response, i was right all along?....if there is no fluid on the dip stick (or barely any on the end of it) there is little to no fluid in the transmission? so far no one has answered this question, can anyone explain this to me?

because the service guy at the dealership said the dipstick only reads 1 quart, another guy from a different shop said 2 and another guy from that same shop said 7 quarts...?

but even if it reads 1 quart low there is no way to find out how much is actually in the transmission and judging by the damage to the transmission it is the result of low fluid, correct? (1st and 2nd work with some slippage, but it doesnt shift into 3rd at all)

i can't say from experience... i'll ask around tomorrow

bump

ooops... sorry i forgot to ask around... bump again tomorrow during work hours if i forget again

Update:

So yesterday I was waiting for a call from the dealership...never got it so I called right at closing time (5:00pm). The original service adviser I talked to was unavailable??? so I talked to a different service advisor and he told me they werent going to even bother opening up the tranny to see what wrong because its obvious it needs to be replaced and he quoted me for a REMAF tranny for 2795..he also said it had nothing to do with less fluid???

SO I talked to the SERVICE MANAGER today and he said he never authorized anything yet. He didnt have any knowlege of what the 2nd service advisor told me...!!!! WTF!!! He said drop the car off so they could find out what wrong....

Thoughts?

bump

Old Guy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 Tahoe... sold 05 ESV

This is a very common thing in fact, ppl get a flush, tranny doesnt work afterwards. The flush is moving metal and goop into/through places in the tranny it wasnt before since it was stuck somewhere all nice and safe. Some chunk of metal shavings is/was now loose and floating around ready to wreck havoc because of the flush and in your case it sounds like it found a home in some little passageway or orifice in the valve body or worse. If the tranny was slipping before the flush then you took a real gamble by having it flushed thinking that would fix it vs. toasting it.

Even just changing the fluid on a worn tranny has been known to render one useless. I think most people know this, I am sure the dealership knows this, and chances are the advisor knows it too... that changing the fluid or flushing a used tranny can also negatively affect future tranny performance, just as you may be experiencing now. Good luck on getting the dealership to cover anything at all, I would consider yourself extremely lucky if you can manage to squeeze even half out of them towards a rebuild/or whatever.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.