Stealership never put in any tranny fluid!!!! - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Stealership never put in any tranny fluid!!!! in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Never get an engine oil or trans oil flush on a vehicle with more than 50k miles, you're just asking ...
    yamla_jatt806 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade
    Never get an engine oil or trans oil flush on a vehicle with more than 50k miles, you're just asking for trouble like this. Only do an oil/filter replacement.

RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: Stealership never put in any tranny fluid!!!!

well if you read your owner's manual there is no mention of 'flushing' fluids ... the flushes are pushed by companies like BG, Wynns, etc who want to sell machines and products to dealers and indy shops ...

imho most of the services can have some benefit if used correctly at the correct times but most of the time they are just pushed on to owners who don't really need them

i think they're splitting the new trans with you because they know that they caused it - they sold you the service that caused the trans failure -

... cost of doing business really (i guess) - you're paying some because they didn't wreck a perfectly good transmission - it was on it's way out already ... they just accelerated the timeframe (by a lot)

what happened to you isn't very common since most people aren't driving around with clutch packs that are all worn out and only held together with gunk
    if it was common then everyone's transmission would fail like yours. these 'flushes' are sold all the time all over the country
    heck, we sell a couple of those flushes a day and haven't had anyone's transmission blow up over the last 5 years (that i can remember)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

xxe92xx is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '10 Premium EXT

Quote Originally Posted by yamla_jatt806 View Post
    Never get an engine oil or trans oil flush on a vehicle with more than 50k miles, you're just asking for trouble like this. Only do an oil/filter replacement.
    yes exactly what i said..

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    well if you read your owner's manual there is no mention of 'flushing' fluids ... the flushes are pushed by companies like BG, Wynns, etc who want to sell machines and products to dealers and indy shops ...

imho most of the services can have some benefit if used correctly at the correct times but most of the time they are just pushed on to owners who don't really need them

i think they're splitting the new trans with you because they know that they caused it - they sold you the service that caused the trans failure -

... cost of doing business really (i guess) - you're paying some because they didn't wreck a perfectly good transmission - it was on it's way out already ... they just accelerated the timeframe (by a lot)

what happened to you isn't very common since most people aren't driving around with clutch packs that are all worn out and only held together with gunk
    if it was common then everyone's transmission would fail like yours. these 'flushes' are sold all the time all over the country
    heck, we sell a couple of those flushes a day and haven't had anyone's transmission blow up over the last 5 years (that i can remember)
    a flush should be performed ONLY if the transmission is regularly maintained, i just dont see the need for it

yeah exactly what i said they knew they caused it, but the real question is WHY did they do it if they knowingly knew the consequence? that leads to another theory of....not knowing it would cause this problem and like you said a "flush" is a very common procedure at a cadillac dealership...to add the tranny didnt start slipping until about 2 months after and before the tranny service there was absolutely no problems

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
    If you stay on top of your fluid changes, a flush is probably never a real necessity regular as a regular change schedule will keep enough new fluid flowing around the trans, to mitigate the dilution of mixing new fluid with old.

As for the sealed transmissions, there's still ways to do it on vehicles that have trans cooler lines for example, even if the trans case itself is sealed.

Quote Originally Posted by xxe92xx View Post
    yeah exactly what i said they knew they caused it, but the real question is WHY did they do it if they knowingly knew the consequence? that leads to another theory of....not knowing it would cause this problem and like you said a "flush" is a very common procedure at a cadillac dealership...to add the tranny didnt start slipping until about 2 months after and before the tranny service there was absolutely no problems
    they didn't know your third gear was all 'gunked up' - the gunk didn't get all flushed out but after a couple months of having the new fluid enough gunk got removed from the plates for the problem to show itself... at least that's our working theory here

and it's not just cadillac dealerships ... just about any dealership or major service center (and many smaller/independent places as well) will have flush machines and other products to sell you

your third gear was already on the way out - i would guess if you did a normal trans fluid drain and refill that this would still have happened to you ...
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    they didn't know your third gear was all 'gunked up' - the gunk didn't get all flushed out but after a couple months of having the new fluid enough gunk got removed from the plates for the problem to show itself... at least that's our working theory here

and it's not just cadillac dealerships ... just about any dealership or major service center (and many smaller/independent places as well) will have flush machines and other products to sell you

your third gear was already on the way out - i would guess if you did a normal trans fluid drain and refill that this would still have happened to you ...
    how frequent is it that a clutch gets worn on an automatic transmission? why 3rd and not 2nd? what if i waited till 100,000 miles and then my tranny failed?

comonroots is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 02' EXT
    I honestly think a transmission is a crap shoot. You never know what you're going to get. I've owned many vehicle over the years and they all had issues with the trans. Flush , no flush, high mileage treatment, rebuilds, etc. Granted they were all Honda/Acura (not known for good trans).

so i got the new tranny, tried starting it a few days ago and heard a loud grinding sound? shut it off and tried starting again and the sound was quieter...shut it off started it again the sound was gone and hasnt came back?!? any ideas?

also my steering wheel for some odd reason is crooked toward the right, it was slightly crooked before barely noticeable but after the tranny job it seems to be even more crooked?!?

this truck seriously has a new problem every time i get it back from the dealer!

any ideas?

smelly$cat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 ESV

Take it back to the dealer.

and involve corporate

yeah im planning to take it to the dealer this week sometime, how would i involve corporate? call GM directly?

and to add to this fire, saturday the yellow check engine light came on??!!? it was on the whole day, but then on sunday when i started her up i never saw it the whole day?? what the hell is going on?

does anyone know what would cause grinding after a tranny replacement, a crooked steering wheel, and a check engine light....any correlation to the tranny being replaced? maybe someone has experinced similar problems?

bump

when the light comes on it means that there is a current fault detected somewhere

the light will stay on for a few ignition cycles after the fault has not been detected and then go away if the fault does not again happen

the dealer will be able to scan the codes (you can get them done for free sometimes at indy shops and parts stores... some dealers also will for free, but not many)

there is a customer service forum here ... Jeff is the guy behind the account.... start a thread there... call the corporate 800 number and then update that thread with your case number
    (that's what i would recommend)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.