Stealership never put in any tranny fluid!!!! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Stealership never put in any tranny fluid!!!! in Cadillac Escalade Forums; good points......
    RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: Stealership never put in any tranny fluid!!!!

good points...
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

also, RE: capacities

my tech said (off the top of his head without looking it up)
    • the transmission holds about 10 quarts bone dry
    • if you drop the pan you'll need to add about 5 quarts to bring it back to level
    • and when the level is just barely touching the bottom of the dipstick then you're about 1-2 quarts low
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

gmercedesbenz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    This is a very common thing in fact, ppl get a flush, tranny doesnt work afterwards. The flush is moving metal and goop into/through places in the tranny it wasnt before since it was stuck somewhere all nice and safe. Some chunk of metal shavings is/was now loose and floating around ready to wreck havoc because of the flush and in your case it sounds like it found a home in some little passageway or orifice in the valve body or worse. If the tranny was slipping before the flush then you took a real gamble by having it flushed thinking that would fix it vs. toasting it.

Even just changing the fluid on a worn tranny has been known to render one useless. I think most people know this, I am sure the dealership knows this, and chances are the advisor knows it too... that changing the fluid or flushing a used tranny can also negatively affect future tranny performance, just as you may be experiencing now. Good luck on getting the dealership to cover anything at all, I would consider yourself extremely lucky if you can manage to squeeze even half out of them towards a rebuild/or whatever.
    Ok so now I'm curious...I've heard this before, about how tranny flushes can negatively affect the tranny in the future. So my question is, what is the best bet way to ensure tranny life? I'm assuming that preforming tranny flushes is important, but you have to do them religiously, beginning when the truck is brand new. Any thoughts?

xxe92xx is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '10 Premium EXT

Update:

the transmission problem was not due to lack of fluid, the clutch pack was totally gone for 3rd gear.....so the dealership has decided to split the purchase of a re manufactured tranny, comes with 3 year/100,000 warranty....not a bad deal so i accepted the offer and because it was getting rather annoying

do not FLUSH the tranny and make sure you make it clear to whoever is doing the transmission service.....have the truck sit for a couple hours and drain the tranny pan and fill it up with the new synthetic fluid....change every 30,000 miles

Old Guy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 Tahoe... sold 05 ESV

yeh about the clutch packs... older fluid gets a bit gummy and actually helps to hold some friction material between the clutches. WHen its flushed you end up with two smoother surfaces of which no longer grip, therefore it longer works.

Long and short of it is... if the tranny has not been serviced regualrly enough that it always maintains clean fluids and such then it probly ok to keep doing so but if the tranny was very rarely, or if never serviced then I would suggest changing a bit of the fuid a little at a time by removing some with a pump system out through the check tube and replacing with new.

Also most modern trannys dont really require a fluid change under normal use conditions till about 100K miles anyway. In fact almost all the German cars along with some other countries use sealed trannies. So furthering the throwaway nature that is our vehicle of today.

that make a lot of sense... and good advice also

Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    yeh about the clutch packs... older fluid gets a bit gummy and actually helps to hold some friction material between the clutches. WHen its flushed you end up with two smoother surfaces of which no longer grip, therefore it longer works.

Long and short of it is... if the tranny has not been serviced regualrly enough that it always maintains clean fluids and such then it probly ok to keep doing so but if the tranny was very rarely, or if never serviced then I would suggest changing a bit of the fuid a little at a time by removing some with a pump system out through the check tube and replacing with new.

Also most modern trannys dont really require a fluid change under normal use conditions till about 100K miles anyway. In fact almost all the German cars along with some other countries use sealed trannies. So furthering the throwaway nature that is our vehicle of today.
    so it was a result of the previous service then....the flush, i dont ever see a need for one if your vehicle is up kept

isnt that sad? how far behind cadillac is...the dealer even told me once the tranny fluid is good til 100,000...why? so then I have to spend 2-3,000 to replace my tranny or better yet trade in my truck? bunch of blood suckers....the manual tells you when and how many miles to change the fluid....for mercedes they recommend every 40,000 miles

so read the MANUAL and change fluids regularly, do not listen to service advisors

smelly$cat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 ESV

The manual for my 03 says that the fluid doesn't need to be changed until 100k. I just read it the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by smelly$cat View Post
    The manual for my 03 says that the fluid doesn't need to be changed until 100k. I just read it the other day.
    the longer you wait the more you will spend later....the manual does say every 50,000 or at 100,000 so do what you like....if you bought your truck brand new like i did or plan on keeping it i suggest changing every 30-40,000 miles to avoid the sludge build-up...this is what i plan to do on my 2010 also

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

100k transmission fluid service intervals are a JOKE. The reason you see more and more european and japanese manufacturers spec'ing supposed "lifetime fills" or "100k" is because more and more of them are enticing NEW customers with supposed "free maintenance" programs, and the less they can get away with doing during the maintenance period, the less it costs them to offer those programs. That's all well and good for the first owner, but for subsequent owners of the used vehicle it leaves a mess of dirty, gunked up and worn out fluids in critical systems. An excellent example of this was Lexus, who always specified a 60k mile transmission service interval until mysteriously in 2004, they suddenly changed that to 100k halfway through the model year even though nothing about the fluid in early 2004 cars changed at all in that time frame. Even the power steering fluid, which in my '04 wasn't supposed to be changed til 100,000 miles, was absolutely PITCH BLACK when I checked it at 92000 miles. The PS pump was already beginning to groan, and this was a LEXUS. Let alone the transmission behaviors I was experiencing on a car that had been maintained absolutely by the book with every service on time (EXCEPT of course, for that transmission service, which the customer was told "he didn't need" when he went in to do it as per his manual.)

Anyone who reads Bimmer or Roundel magazines with any regularity knows there are many long time BMW service techs who have steadily seen the lifetimes of major components dwindle over the years as fluid changes were stretched further and further. If you find a late model used BMW with fluid services above and beyond the dealer maintenance schedule, THAT is the one you buy.

Where I DO agree, is that if you end up with one of these cars at anything after about 90,000 miles, you are best off NOT to flush the trans fluid. At that point, it's best just to do a plain fluid exchange.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Your warranty is long over at 100k. You think the manufacturer gives a crap what happens 10 years from now?

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

^Another good point.

By the way, if you read the manual more closely, you will see that the 100,000 mile tranny fluid change interval is for so called "light duty" users. This is virtually NONE of us. Why? Because one of the indicators for the "heavy" duty (50k) fluid schedule is something as simple as driving in traffic in ambient temperatures over 90* Fahrenheit. Who in any sizeable city hasn't done that?!

Old Guy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 Tahoe... sold 05 ESV

main problem with many manufacturers now days is that there are no more tranny changes... they now offer only sealed trannys in which you dont do anything except for wait till the tranny craps out. Usually this occurs after the warranty runs out.

A guy round the corner from me told me that his Tundra had a sealed tranny and the dealer had found that the seal for the driveshaft was leaking some, so he said to go ahead and fix it. What the dealer didnt tell him was that once they replaced the seal, which is part of the driveshaft assembly, and got it all back together again to the tune of $1700, that there was no way of seeing if he was low on fluid from the leak and no way to get it into the tranny even if it was low. So if the tranny starts having problems he would be forced to pay for a new tranny simply because of not being able to check the fluid level. Guy said screw Toyota, traded his truck in on a new subaru.

That's dumb...

The catera had a transmission that wasn't serviceable (no internal parts available thru dealers) but aftermarket shops could get parts for it

I haven't really seen any other GM transmissions that are like that ... and even the catera had a dipstick!

but back to the thread and it's title/topic

from the sounds of it the dealership did put fluid in... maybe one or two quarts less than they should have... but that isn't what caused the 3rd gear problem that's for sure

all good info fellas

does the service advisor really not know that flushing a transmission that has been running on the same fluid for ~80,000 miles wont cause any damage??? now lets say the fluid was a couple quarts low, like mine was....it wouldnt cause the clutch to slip, what caused the slippage was the absence of the sludge that was holding everything in place...and once the highly skilled service techs flushed it, they flushed my cash down the toilet as well.....NOW do you think it was mistakenly done or purposely? i think they knew they ****ed up thats why their paying for the majority of the new/reman tranny

SO the moral of this story is to NEVER FLUSH ANYTHING....drain it, replace filter if its required, re-fill it....whether it is a new vehicle or used replace every 30-40,000 miles...place correct me if im wrong of course

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.