Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Squeaking noise while driving

19K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  the cadillac man 
#1 ·
I have a loud sqeak noice from under the truck while driving that I just noiticed at slow speed. It is not brake related, and it doesnt seem to do it while in neutral, only in drive. I just noticed it today, so I havent got too deep in troubleshooting yet. Can anyone point me in the right direction on what to search for? Driveshaft, differential, wheel bearings? I hope it is something a lot more simple than afy of those things, but would like to eliminate the worst things.

#2 ·
It sounds almost exactly like the metal on metal grinding from brakes, but this is not brake related. Seems to be coming from the rear. I am worried it is the rear differential or transfer case? Is there an easy way to check these. Maybe I will be lucky and it will be only a U-joint. Not a good day.

#3 ·
Your best bet would be to have someone else drive it slowly past you in a parking lot, or down the street in front of your house, so you can listen for the noise outside the truck. That might help you narrow it down. Most of the time though, when something sounds like brakes, it's brakes.

#4 ·
This is going to sound crazy, but check and make sure that your wheel center caps are on tight. If they are even slightly loose, they will make a squeaking sound that sounds EXACTLY like a dragging brake wear indicator but without applying the brakes at all. I couldn't believe it when someone suggested this in the '07 forum and it WORKED. My front driver wheel cap was loose and making a HORRIBLE squeaking racket.

#5 ·
Just thought I would post an update on the cause. I was worried so I brought it to the dealer and it was only a rear u-joint. Hopefully this helps someone else troubleshoot this in the future. Although I am still getting raped by having the dealer do it, I am sure glad it isn't the rear diff or transfer case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.