Newbie with Tire / Rim Issue
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Newbie with Tire / Rim Issue in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Hello all... I have a 2004 Escalade and I just bought a nice set of 2009 18" factory rims (to ...
    HeadGunner is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Escalade

Newbie with Tire / Rim Issue

Hello all...

I have a 2004 Escalade and I just bought a nice set of 2009 18" factory rims (to replace the older 17" style ones), I took them to a tire shop and bought a great set of new tires (265/65/18) and now it looks great.

The issue that I now have is that I now get a message that states "SERVICE TIRE MONITER"

I read the manual and went step by step through the reset process and still nothing.

My questions:

1: How do I know if my Escalade has TPMs in the first place? Do all 2004s have them?
    2: Since I swapped tires and rims completely, are the sensors still in my old tires (How can I manually check)
    3: How can I manually check if my new tires have them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

HG

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

adamwilliammiller is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 EXT

Re: Newbie with Tire / Rim Issue

The TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitor Sensors) are the issue. Im pretty sure all 2004's have them but the way to tell is if you have/had metal valve stems (where you would inflate the tire). If they are metal then you have TPMS sensors, if not then you dont. When you put the new wheels on did you just have them take the factory 17's off and put the 18's on with new tires? If so they are probably still in your old tires and need to be swapped over which means they will need to dismount the tires, install the TPMS sensors, then mount and re-balance the wheels/tires. If they did swap them over then the issue is they probably didnt use the proper TPMS rebuild kit or they did not seal the TPMS sensors properly to monitor the tire pressure. Those would be the two things I would check first.

4rank0 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac Escalade ESV

Most tire shops run an update after getting new tires when you have the TPM's installed. If they didnt do that then you should probably go back and tell them you need them to do so.

CEPMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac Escalade ESV

Unless you specifically asked the shop to transfer the sensors, then I can guarantee you they didn't.

If your new wheels/tires don't have the sensors, then you'll either need to buy some and have them installed or pay to have the tires removed from the old rims, then have the tires removed from the new rims so that the sensors can be installed.

If your new rims have regular valve stems (where you put air in) then they aren't sensors. This also includes chrome 'tipped' valve stems. If they have the fully metal valve stems, then they're the TPMS sensors.

If you do choose to buy sensors and have them installed, I suggest going through ebay. I bought 5 sensors for less than half the price of what 4 would have cost from the dealer. I have them on my truck now, and no problems whatsoever.

HeadGunner is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thank you all for responding, it helped me out perfectly.

I found out that I did have them and that the tire shop left them on my old tires, so I had to take all the tires back and get them to put the TPS' into my new rimes.

For those thinking about it, I strongly suggest changing rims to the newer style, they make my 2004 Escalade look really modern.

Thanks again

HG

fasteddyII is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I have an 04 with newer rims too

I have an 04 with newer rims too
    Attached Images

Carvone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 STS 1SG & 03 ESCALADE

Headgunner - post a pic of your truck with the 18's on there. There is a local guy selling a set of 18's here but I was looking for 20's at least, 18's are cheaper though.

Fasteddy - what size are your rims, looks tight.

Carvone they are 22"s - HG I have walmart installed TPS's - work like a charm.

luxurylife33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 Escalade (sold) 03 Escalade EXT (sold) - 07 Escalade EXT

My old Caddy with the 18" 2007 factory wheels

04CadEsc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac Escalade

Are those Cadillac wheels? They seem to resemble Lincolns stock wheels...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.