A possible quick and cheap solution to the Crappy,leaky,oil and tranny cooling lines?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, A possible quick and cheap solution to the Crappy,leaky,oil and tranny cooling lines? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I have been told that there is a cheap and easy solution to those garbage GM oil and tranny cooling ...
    CaddyEscalade is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Escalade

A possible quick and cheap solution to the Crappy,leaky,oil and tranny cooling lines?

I have been told that there is a cheap and easy solution to those garbage GM oil and tranny cooling lines that have been always a problem since the 90's. You can cut the tubing on both ends, flare the ends of the tubing, use high psi rubber hose and hose clamps, problem solved. Thoughts? sounds resonable to me as long as you could flare the tubing and clamp it good enough so the line could not blow off. Would like to hear what the pros think?

As my local auto parts store wants $120 for aftermarket oil cooling lines, and the tranny cooling lines are not even available, I can only imagine what the dealer charges for those.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: A possible quick and cheap solution to the Crappy,leaky,oil and tranny cooling li

More info from another site.

Here's a run down of what you need to do in order to replace the leaky factory crimped hoses on your stock oil cooler lines. I did this write up w/ a set of old lines I had laying around. It is NOT necessary to remove the lines from the vehicle when performing this repair.
    First off, a run down of the tools:
    angle OR straight die grinder w/ a cutoff wheel (or whatever you have that will work)
    pliers
    wide tipped flat blade screwdriver
    brake cleaner
    clean rags
    1/2" high pressure oil cooler line
    heavy duty worm gear hose clamps

Use the cut off wheel (or comparable means) to cut a line down the side of the crimp, be VERY CAREFUL not to hit the compression in the aluminum line (arrow). It's ok if you do not cut the crimp completely, it's very soft aluminum and will break/tear easily w/ pliers. If using a cutoff wheel, you will get burning rubber and oil smell.

Use the flat blade screwdriver as a pry tool and pliers to remove the crimp from the oil line.

A quick tug will seperate the rubber hose from the aluminum line. Have a drain pan close by as oil will come pouring out of the seperated lines.

Spray brake cleaner on a clean rag until the rag is saturated. Be sure not to get any in your eyes as it comes out under high pressure. Use the rag and THOROUGHLY clean the area where the rubber line will go. It is very important to get this area spotless, any oil left will result in oil leak or possible failure of connection.

Once clean and dry, hook up the new hose w/ the worm gear clamps. I try to center the clamp over the crimped section of the hard line to ensure a tight connection. Tighten the clamps until you can feel the rubber bulging through the slots on the backside of the clamp. (Old hot rodder trick I learned)
    [hose clamp is not tightened in this picture, for display purposes only. Notice the factory hose has 1/2" marking on it, this is the correct size to use]

If you think that the people that design car parts are always right you need to open your eyes and realize that these oil cooler lines have been an issue for many years and they have never fixed the problem. I have worked at two different Chevy dealerships and these oil cooler lines were constantly on back order cause as soon as they go through one winter with them in a cold climate area, they leak. It doesn't matter how many times you replace them with new ones, give them one year and they will be leaking again guaranteed.

I say hot wire knows what he's talking about and I'm going to be doing this to my one year old oil cooler lines soon cause guess what? they leak. I have been told by more than one GM mechanic to use this method to fix them.

So if you don't want your lines to leak, you're gonna have to fix them yourself cause obviously the original designers didn't design them correctly, or the other option is to just keep buying new ones and replacing them constantly.

Nobody is wrong here, it's up to you if you want to keep replacing or actually fix it.

JBoesch is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade

Re: A possible quick and cheap solution to the Crappy,leaky,oil and tranny cooling li

CaddyEscalade,
    Excellent information! My 05 Escalade has the same leaking lines and the dealer's price was close to $300 for both lines. This is a whole lot easier and when the hose leak after this repair you can easily replace the hose. In addition, you can easily get the radiator fittings, cheap, if they begin leaking.

Thanks for sharing.

pcguy760 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 02 Diamond White Pearl Escalade - Sold 10/11

Hey that is a brilliant solution - I am thinking about trying this out soon - both my lines have a very slight leak...

Lets just say anyone who lives in climates that get cold, their oil cooling lines are guaranteed to be leaking, I spent $600.00 for the dealer to replace these just a year ago and they are leaking at the crimped fitting again. I Just completed this repair, did both oil cooling lines and all 3 tranny lines. I ended up getting custom hydraullic hose lines made with threaded lines (rated for over 3000 PSI), then cut the line with small pipe cutters, used hydraullic compression fittings on that end and attached the new lines. Even though I am told these will never leak again, it is now a 1' removable hose that can easily be replaced without removing the whole line. I learned a lot in this process and I tell you that anyone that has removed and re-installed these lines in 1 piece is a miracle worker with lots of scraped knuckles, replacing these lines with the factory or aftermarket replacement is a brutal project that will kill your weekend. I have found the permanent solution that should easily be completed in a couple of hours for 1/2 the price to this major design flaw that GM has ignored for the last couple of decades.

I will post pics and details on how to beat this once and for all.

That would be great but instead of using some 3000 PSI lines like you did, can we get regular high psi rubber oil lines from the local parts store and use that instead? I think the op mentioned 1/2" hoses...

I have a question about this - I noticed two lines on the passenger side of the radiator and then another two lines on the driver side! I did not trace the lines yet but why are there four lines? Btw, the driver side ones are leaking not the pass. side...

Quote Originally Posted by pcguy760 View Post
    That would be great but instead of using some 3000 PSI lines like you did, can we get regular high psi rubber oil lines from the local parts store and use that instead? I think the op mentioned 1/2" hoses...

I have a question about this - I noticed two lines on the passenger side of the radiator and then another two lines on the driver side! I did not trace the lines yet but why are there four lines? Btw, the driver side ones are leaking not the pass. side...
    I could not find any high PSI 1/2" oil lines from any of my local parts stores, the larges they had was 3/8". So I ended up going the hydraullic hose route. The smaller lines on the passenger side are the transmission cooling lines and the larger ones on the drivers side are the 1/2" oil cooling likes. I have attached pics that I found on another site for repairing them with hose and hose clamps like discussed above.
    Attached Images

Here are a few pics of mine my modified ones, both tranny and oil lines.
    Attached Images

CaddyEscalade, I feel like a total tard now lol ... I thought my oil cooler lines where my transmission cooler lines hahahaha. Well, come to find out my tranny lines are in perfect condition and its the oil cooler lines that are slightly leaky at the exact same location you mentioned on the tranny lines. So I guess the same procedure applies? Its been like this for over a year with this slight leak - its hard to describe but lets say, every month or so I need to put in maybe a 1/5 qt of oil if not less. So I guess I could just change when doing the next oil change... Thanks for all the pics. Definately saving this thread

carlmcad is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): carl@partnershipresources.com

I have a 2004 standard Escalade. The lines on the drivers side on the radiator leaking antifreeze. Can I do the same repair here. From the above description these should be oil cooler lines, but they are leaking coolant and not oil. Am I looking at this wrong?

wesyder is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
    Quote Originally Posted by carlmcad
    I have a 2004 standard Escalade. The lines on the drivers side on the radiator leaking antifreeze. Can I do the same repair here. From the above description these should be oil cooler lines, but they are leaking coolant and not oil. Am I looking at this wrong?
    I had the same issue..... I replaced the radiator

The lines are leaking where the metal lines connect to the rubber part of the lines. The connections at the radiator are fine.

wesyder is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
    Quote Originally Posted by carlmcad
    The lines are leaking where the metal lines connect to the rubber part of the lines. The connections at the radiator are fine.
    Im confused, mine leaked coolant but at the fitting going into the radiator. It is an oil cooler line there should be no antifreeze unless its leaking at the radiator and running down the line

That's why I was wondering if the lines changed in different models. I have on the passenger side two lines that go to the radiator and a cooler in front of the radiator. they have a slight weeping of oil at the point where the metal line meets the rubber line. This is not the problem. On the drivers side I have two lines that go to the radiator and look like they go to the transmission. This is leaking coolant from both lines at the point where the metal line meets the rubber portion. What do you think?

jnrsesv is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 ESV Platinum

Looking at the front of the motor, the 2 lines on your left that go to the cooler in front of the radiator are the transmission cooler lines.

The 2 lines on the right (drivers side) are the engine oil cooler lines. They connect at the right side of the radiator and then go down to just above the oil filter. I had just replaced mine and got the parts from Autozone for around $70.00.

I have read that the oil cooler lines are a nightmare to change while the front diff. and oil pan are on the vehicle. I did our lines when I had that stuff off and it was really easy and fast. The trick to getting the old oil cooler lines out are by disconnecting them, fishing them out towards the transmission and NOT pulling them out at the radiator end.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.