Tight Spots when replacing spark plugs. Need help.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Tight Spots when replacing spark plugs. Need help. in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Ok on my 2003 escalade 6.0 AWD V8 i cannot get to the back two spark plugs i can get ...
    2003Escalade is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade ESV AWD 6.0

Tight Spots when replacing spark plugs. Need help.

Ok on my 2003 escalade 6.0 AWD V8 i cannot get to the back two spark plugs i can get the to the one that isn't so cluttered on the right the 3rd one back. But cannot get to 4th one. And on the right side how can i replace them when there is all wiring and stuff in y way.

I need images step by step someone please tell me i got 3 in so far and have all new wires on.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

luxurylife33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 Escalade (sold) 03 Escalade EXT (sold) - 07 Escalade EXT

Re: Tight Spots when replacing spark plugs. Need help.

I dont remember it being that hard at all.... did you take the black plastic cover off? are you using a universal socket? a universal socket and various lengths of extensions will get it done. My 250pc craftsman set did the job fine about a year ago.

universal socket ^ autozone, walmart, sears , etc carry em

No i do not have one laying around i did see you until someone took it out of my tool box and went missing. So i have to go to the store and get one now. I need one of those was thinking about it last night and a short extension.

Thanks Alot and i got the covers off already its just the back one on passanger side where the a/c compressor is really close.

I got all of it done lost my 3 inch in the lower pan somewhere can't find it.

Also I grabbed the wrong magentic bowl and lost the bolt that holds the oil dipstick.

NEED TO KNOW THE SIZE ASAP!!

just outta curiosity .... why did you remove the bolt that holds the dip stick tube?

I removed it got in the way of my 3rd plug on left side moved it got right to it like it was nothing. But now i need to know the bolt size or go to the junkyard and get one out of a chevy.

hotrodln is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS, 2004 Escalade, 62 Fleetwood

it's probably a metric bolt-go to the hardware store it's easier! next time try taking the front wheels off....some of the plugs are easier to get out through the wheel wells.....

Only if i had the tool to snap the plastic pieces out for the wheel well would of been alot easier. Also Yea i remeberd it's a 5/8 and im pretty sure i know the length.

I also got another question after i did this tune up the car ran great and everything but before it had this horrible idle. After i drive it for a while it get's that horrible idle again and it makes me mad. Do i need to replace the fuel filter.

BLK05 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 Escalade

I have dealt with the rough idle issue on my previous Avalanche. I had good results changing the plugs to Iridiums....(still not happy) then installed Low resistance plug wires from Accel (much smoother....but still not to my liking) finaly had a program written for my Diablo Predator handheld tuner that cured the rough idle. I am getting ready to do all these to my current 05 Escalade(I returned it to stock before I sold the Avy). I am hoping for the same results I had previously obtained.

Well what caused rough idle. Because i still have it after platinum plus twos and new wireset? Cleaned the TB inside. was dirty did a good job now i still have a rough idle here or there. Could my fuel filter be gummed up??

FLCADDY is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 Escalade

I got the one on the passenger side back by putting some extensions together and going between the firewall and the ac lines. it worked well.

BLK05 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by 2003Escalade View Post
    Well what caused rough idle. Because i still have it after platinum plus twos and new wireset? Cleaned the TB inside. was dirty did a good job now i still have a rough idle here or there. Could my fuel filter be gummed up??
    Fuel filter being clogged up with feel like your engine is being held back at high rpm's not idle. The only way I have been able to get rid of the rough idle is to have the fuel map re-written. These trucks run very rich at idle to provide the least amount of delay when you mash on the gas. It takes someone who knows thier way around the fuel mapping code to provide the best balance of good idle quality and throttle response.

reverand2000 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 02 Escalade

I've had good luck by adding a can of Techron to a half tank of gas once or twice a year. Ethonal does not help idle quality, watch your gas brands.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.