No rear temp control with new actuator
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, No rear temp control with new actuator in Cadillac Escalade Forums; 03' Escalade Having problems with the rear temperature. I bought a new actuator, Dorman part#604-100 thinking this was the problem. ...
    JG!
    JG! is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade

No rear temp control with new actuator

03' Escalade
    Having problems with the rear temperature. I bought a new actuator, Dorman part#604-100 thinking this was the problem. After putting the new actuator in and no success. I tried my old actuator in the floor/ceiling location and the actuator works fine. So if its not the actuator and I have done the reset numerous times. What should I try next? Anybody else experience this problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JG!

Re: No rear temp control with new actuator

nobody knows huh

nathanjax is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 esKONali

Have you left the rear plastics off to see if the actuator is actually move the blend door? The door could be stuck/broken...

JG!

yeah I have. I can move it with my hand. So it's not stuck.

So, with the plastics off, you can see the actuator turning the blend door, correct? and the air is not changing temps at all? The front is working perfectly fine? Front has hot and cold and left and right?

(I'm asking specifics because my father is a mechanic and I'm relaying info to/from him)

JG!

Quote Originally Posted by nathanjax View Post
    So, with the plastics off, you can see the actuator turning the blend door, correct? and the air is not changing temps at all? The front is working perfectly fine? Front has hot and cold and left and right?

(I'm asking specifics because my father is a mechanic and I'm relaying info to/from him)
    The actuator wont move when its plugged in to the temp harness. But I tried the actuator in the roof/floor location and it works fine. I pulled the actuator off and I can move the piece that adjust the temp with my hand, the temp does change from hot and cold when I move it.

It's like the the actuator is not getting the signal to adjust.

The front air seems to be ok., but I did notice something weird with the A/C in the summer. Whenever I push the snow flake button on the a/c gets warm but with it off it works like the A/C should, really cold.

Quote Originally Posted by JG! View Post
    The actuator wont move when its plugged in to the temp harness. But I tried the actuator in the roof/floor location and it works fine. I pulled the actuator off and I can move the piece that adjust the temp with my hand, the temp does change from hot and cold when I move it.

It's like the the actuator is not getting the signal to adjust.

The front air seems to be ok., but I did notice something weird with the A/C in the summer. Whenever I push the snow flake button on the a/c gets warm but with it off it works like the A/C should, really cold.
    That's the info I/we needed. let me do some research and see if i can come up with anything. Someone on here should be able to post a wiring diagram for the actuator so you can follow it to see why it's not getting power/signal.

JG!

Quote Originally Posted by nathanjax View Post
    That's the info I/we needed. let me do some research and see if i can come up with anything. Someone on here should be able to post a wiring diagram for the actuator so you can follow it to see why it's not getting power/signal.
    Thank you I really appreciate the help.

CaddyEscalade is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I have this exact problem, even switched the actuators like you said with the exact same results. It would appear to be a control module that has a design flaw that has been replaced with a new part #, due to overtravel of an actuator I will cut and paste the info below that I found. My temp fix was to take the actuator apart and manually adjust it for heat and leave it unplugged, then in the spring I manually put it back to cold. Here is the info regarding this issue.

--------Cut and Paste---------

this module has fixed this problem for me,,black box by the actuator...xTooltipElement Service Information 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe - 2WD | Avalanche, Escalade, Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Document ID: 1887382
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#06-01-39-015A: Unable to Control Rear HVAC Temperature or Modes, Intermittent Ticking Noise from Rear HVAC Actuators or Rear HVAC DTCs B0434 or B3764 (Replace Auxiliary HVAC Control Module) - (Jan 12, 2007)

Subject: Unable To Control Rear HVAC Temperature Or Modes, Intermittent Ticking Noise From Rear HVAC Actuators Or Rear HVAC DTCs B0434 Or B3764 (Replace Auxiliary HVAC Control Module)

Models: 2003-2006 Cadillac Escalade Models

2003-2006 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe

2003-2006 GMC Yukon Models

with Automatic Control HVAC System and Rear A/C (RPOs CJ2 and C69)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to correct one of the blower motor control module part numbers. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 06-01-39-015 (Section 01 -- HVAC).

Condition
    Some customers may comment on one or more of the following conditions:

• An intermittent ticking/clicking noise from the rear Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) system.

• Unable to control rear HVAC system temperature.

• Unable to change rear HVAC system modes.

Technicians may find that Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) B0434 and/or B3764 have been set.

Cause
    These conditions may be caused by HVAC actuators that hunt for the correct position. This cycling may cause a clicking or ticking noise.

An overtravel of the HVAC system control doors may cause one or more of the above system conditions. If an overtravel occurs, a DTC will be set, and the door will go to a preset default position.

When a system door defaults, that door will stay at the default position until the DTC is cleared. Clearing the DTC will allow the door to operate properly until the overtravel condition reoccurs. The following table lists the DTCs that may have been set and the door that is associated with that code.

Overtravel DTC
    System Door Affected

B0434
    Auxiliary (rear) Air Temperature Actuator

B3764
    Auxiliary (rear) Mode Actuator

Correction
    Technicians are to replace the auxiliary (rear) HVAC control module with the part number listed in the table below. Refer to the Auxiliary Heater and Air Conditioning Control Module Replacement procedure in SI for more information. This module contains a new calibration to compensate for the actuator overtravel condition and the hunting/clicking noises. The new calibration effectively eliminates DTCs B0434 and B3764. The new control module also eliminates the default position of the doors associated with the DTC. The new control module will allow door travel from counts 0 to 255 without setting a DTC or defaulting the door.

The new auxiliary HVAC control module is compatible with either the first or second design blower motor control module. When using the new auxiliary HVAC control module, the customer may notice a slight increase in the rear blower motor speed (approximately 50 rpm) at a given setting, as compared to the blower motor speed at the same setting with the original HVAC control module. If the customer comments that the increase in blower speed at a given setting is objectionable, the blower motor control module may be replaced with the second design part listed below to correct the slight increase in speed.

The revised auxiliary HVAC control module should not be used unless one or both of the DTCs are set or one or more of the conditions listed above are present. The revised auxiliary HVAC control module will not correct any other DTC or Air Conditioning (A/C) performance concern.

Parts Information
    Auxiliary HVAC Control Module Part Number
    Description
    Qty

Module Assembly-Auxiliary Heater & A/C Control

The blower motor control modules listed below should not be used unless the customer finds the change in blower speeds between the original and the new auxiliary HVAC control modules objectionable.

Blower Motor Control Modules Part Number
    Part Description
    Vehicle Application
    Quantity

Module Assembly, Auxiliary Heater & A/C Control (Auxiliary Blower Motor Control Module) (Second Design)
    Escalade, Tahoe, Yukon (vehicles with a short wheelbase)

Module Assembly, Auxiliary Heater & A/C Control (Auxiliary Blower Motor Control Module) (Second Design)
    Escalade ESV, Suburban, Yukon XL (vehicles with a long wheelbase)

Warranty Information
    For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
    Description
    Labor Time

D0901
    Module, HVAC Control-Auxiliary - Replace
    Use Published Labor Operation Time

Add
    With Third Row Seat

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2008 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

CTSLack941 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Green Money 2002 Escalade

I just had my HVAC CONTROL MODULE replaced because my ac/heat was only blowing out my defrost vents. I also had to replace my blend mode actutor... $750 for everything at a local shop.. To me it sounds like your HVAC control module is bad..

Quote Originally Posted by CTSLack941 View Post
    To me it sounds like your HVAC control module is bad..
    Same thing all my info points to as well...

JG!

Thanks guys for all the info. I found a guy on my local CL parting out his Cadi. So Im gonna grab the module maybe even the whole rear ac/heat unit from him and hopefully fix the problem.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

if anyone wants to replace theirs w/ a new control module i can offer a pretty good deal
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

darkfiregt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade 6.0L AWD

Sorry to bogart your thread, but if the heat is not working overhead in the rear, but works on the floor, is possibly my issue as well? I just got my '03 and noticed it the other day.

CaddyEscalade is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    if anyone wants to replace theirs w/ a new control module i can offer a pretty good deal
    How much?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.