03 Escalade, lean fuel code (Bank 1 and 2)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, 03 Escalade, lean fuel code (Bank 1 and 2) in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Check engine light came on the other day. I hooked it up to diagnostic equipment at a high school auto ...
    azaskew is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade

03 Escalade, lean fuel code (Bank 1 and 2)

Check engine light came on the other day. I hooked it up to diagnostic equipment at a high school auto shop and it code said it was "lean feul - bank 1", and "lean fuel bank 2"
    The auto teacher suggested I start with the fuel filter. He changed it and the code is still there.
    Anyone else experience this or have a solution?

Thanks,
    azaskew

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

trodder is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Current: 03 Escalade Prev: 01DTS, 98Deville, 89STS, 87Fleet

Re: 03 Escalade, lean fuel code (Bank 1 and 2)

The issue is a known issue. The problem is your intake manifold gasket. This condition will usually occur when its really cold out, however it can occur at any temp if the gasket gets bad enough. The gasket is about 20 or 30 bucks and the only special tool you need is a deep thin wall socket that can take off the oil sender without breaking it. I do not recall what size you need. The job will take you maybe two hours or less to do it yourself. Just remove the engine covers and start plucking away at everything attached to the intake manifold. The fuel injector wire plugs are kind of a PIA but the job is not too hard and is fairly intuitive if you have a little experience in auto repair.

Now... what is causing the code exactly.... Basically the gasket gets thin in the cold or just worn out and creating an "air leak" in the intake manifold causing the fuel trims to go out of whack. Basically the additional air intake is commanding maximum fuel and it is causing it to run lean because it can't keep up with what the computer thinks it has for air vs what it needs for fuel to have an optimum air/fuel mixture. You will find your gas mileage should improve a bit after doing this. I dealt with it for an entire winter and my mileage was terrible during that time.

Hope this helps. You should be able to just call the service department at any Cadillac dealer and ask them what size socket is need for the oil sender. I broke mine trying to do it with an impact socket because the socket was too thick. A friend of mine had a thin wall one to get this back in with a new sender (which needed to be replaced anyway since it always said it was @ 80psi.)

azaskew is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade

Nice info.
    The day after the fuel filter change I drove it few miles and reset the codes and it has not come back. If it comes back i will look in to the gasket.
    Thanks,
    azaskew

Jeremy Willingham is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac Escalade ESV 6.0 AWD White Diomond

My Escalade is doing the same thing. I've replaced the plugs, wires, fuel pump, Mass air flow, 2 02 sensors and fuel filter. I was messing around with Mass air flow sensor and when i removed wires to it it started running perfect. That's when I replaced the sensor but the new one does the same thing. Could this be the gasket as well. It seems to run worst when it get's warm but is off and on to be truthful. Thanks

auberypn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): escalade ext 2003

I have the same problem.rough idle when engine is cold and engine light stays on. Will pull code this weekend. Also when pressing on the gas, vehicle Don"t respond. Any help. Thanks guys.

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by auberypn
    I have the same problem.rough idle when engine is cold and engine light stays on. Will pull code this weekend. Also when pressing on the gas, vehicle Don"t respond. Any help. Thanks guys.
    Are you getting a reduced engine power message by chance?

boge is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 escalade

I had those same two codes come up on my 04. I put in a new mass air flow sensor and that took care of the problem. Check engine light and all.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.