2002 Escalade Service Stability System light and Stabilitrak does not work
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, 2002 Escalade Service Stability System light and Stabilitrak does not work in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I have had a service stability sytem light on now for the past 2 mos. hopinh it would just go ...
    bowanna03 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade

2002 Escalade Service Stability System light and Stabilitrak does not work

I have had a service stability sytem light on now for the past 2 mos. hopinh it would just go away. That did not happen, We had a ton of snow the other day so for the first tiem I tried to use the stabilitrak and the button did not click at all or light up. Question one how can I find out what the code is, Question 2 How can I reset the code, and Question why isn't the stabiltrak working? Any help would be appreciated, Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

gmercedesbenz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade

Re: 2002 Escalade Service Stability System light and Stabilitrak does not work

Quote Originally Posted by bowanna03 View Post
    I have had a service stability sytem light on now for the past 2 mos. hopinh it would just go away. That did not happen, We had a ton of snow the other day so for the first tiem I tried to use the stabilitrak and the button did not click at all or light up. Question one how can I find out what the code is, Question 2 How can I reset the code, and Question why isn't the stabiltrak working? Any help would be appreciated, Thanks
    I'm not sure if you can reset the service stability system light, but you could try pulling out the fuse for the stability system. As far as functionality goes, you shouldn't have to touch the button for the system to come on. When the Stabilitrak button on the dash is pressed, under normal circumstances a messages appears on the console saying "Stability System Limited". When this message is displayed, the Stabilitrak's system raises it's tolerance for wheel slippage, thus allowing the truck to be rocked out of snow for instance. When the system is operating normally, a small green light will appear to the bottom left of the Stabilitrak dashboard button. This will appear after the truck reaches 12 mph or so after it's been started, showing that the system is operational and monitoring driving conditions. The Stabilitrak system combines stability and traction control, and because traction control relies on some of the same sensors as the ABS system, Stabilitrak's green ready light will not illuminate until the ABS system has completed it's self-test that occurs as soon as the truck reaches about 12 mph.

Long story short, under normal operating conditions you should not have to touch the Stabilitrak button unless your truck is stuck. The system automatically is activated when you start your truck. The button does not "click" or stay pushed in, because when it's depressed, the message "Stability System Limited" message appears on the dash.

Hope this helps!

How can you read the code if a normal code reader can't read them? what do they use to read the code that is causing the SSS light to stay lit? The reason why I noticed that the stabilitrak wasn't working is the other day the truck started to slip on the roads and I pushed it and no indicator came on at all and at anytime, is it possibel it isn't working due to the fact that the SSS light is on? Thanks for the help

LACbaby is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Last time I had that issue, I had to replace my front wheel bearing. Might want to check it, just my 2cents..... Good luck!

sk7
    sk7 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade AWD

You will need an OBDII code reader that can pull enhanced codes, I got an Innova 3150 (3140?) and works well. Can you feel the ABS motor going into self test when u first take off? Good info from gmercedesbenz. The AWD is all mecanical, stabilitrack will help u keep control by working with the ABS and inputs from the SCM.

I do hear a noise that sounds like a pump or something.. what would that mean?

What is the best way to check thee wheel bearing to see if it is bad? Is it hard to do yourself? How do you reset the code?

The noise actually sounds like a growl sound

blazen244 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 EXT

I've had two issue that set off the warning light one was the bearings the other was the rear air shock bladders. Do you get the ABS light as well?

No ABS light, IS it hard to do the bearings and how can I check the rear air shock bladders?

I have replaced both front wheel hub assemblies and shocks all the way around. I am still getting the SSS light and going stir crazy

jsker02ext is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Caddillac Escalade Ext

I depends if you hear the buzz when you first start driving. I would hear several buzzes and the light would come on. I was told many thing and it came down to replacing a $13 dollar switch the goes on the ECBM under the drivers seat. be very careful when tightening the switch though. I learned the hard way that over tightening the switch with a socket wrench broke the front part of the switch in the housing and it was a job getting it out. I ended up using just the socket and a mirror to see when it was just snugged up to the housing. hope that helps

Do you think I shoudl pay the shot and get the code read and then try to troubleshoot

tboz1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): escalade ext

Quote Originally Posted by jsker02ext View Post
    I depends if you hear the buzz when you first start driving. I would hear several buzzes and the light would come on. I was told many thing and it came down to replacing a $13 dollar switch the goes on the ECBM under the drivers seat. be very careful when tightening the switch though. I learned the hard way that over tightening the switch with a socket wrench broke the front part of the switch in the housing and it was a job getting it out. I ended up using just the socket and a mirror to see when it was just snugged up to the housing. hope that helps
    could you give me some more info on the switch you replaced like what it looks like and where to get it?

JDMTURBOZ is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 02 ESCALADE

very common problem i have seen many times. possible problem #1 is the frame ground on the front drivers side cab mount. this is a bad location for corrosion. #2 steering wheel position sensor.very common problem. not very hard to change. at the base of the steering column.

these are the most common problems i have seen to cause the issue ( with no ABS light).
    hope this helps

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.