Air Shocks vs Gas Shocks - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Air Shocks vs Gas Shocks in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Originally Posted by Mark Edward Morrison I am in the same boat, my rear shocks and compressor are bad on ...
    the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Edward Morrison
    I am in the same boat, my rear shocks and compressor are bad on my 2004 Escalade as well but I don't know if I should go with the air or gas shocks?? My vehicle is worth more with it working like factory and I know the Monroe 40034 is the factory shock made for Cadillac but at $230 a piece for the rear and then a new compressor where as I can buy 4 new Blisten shocks for the same price as one air shock! I mean I really never haul anything in my truck so why do I need the air ride?? I have been debating this over in my head for about a month now and don't know which way to go?
    Here is what you will lose
    Auto leveling
    Real time damping
    Smoother ride(believe me I have rode in trucks with new gas shocks and it's nothing like air ride)
    Resale value may take a hit(not sure)
    The air shocks aren't a bad deal at the price you mentioned.
    The compressor is cheaper at arrnott it is 130 and comes with a dryer rebuild kit.

sprink60 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade ESV

Re: Air Shocks vs Gas Shocks

I tow a boat that with trailer, fuel and gear has me towing 7500#. The trailer is a twin torsion axle with disc brakes on all four wheels. The trailer is rated to carry 9000 # net and GTWR at 10200#.

Based on my use I have chosen to go with Arnott's Bilstein Air/Gas Shock Combo along with their New Gas Shocks for the front. I also plan to change to their new air compressor. I just today had the opportunity to ride in a 2004 Escalade that the owner had made this change with....the difference in ride quality and smoothness as well as stability as compared to mine was dramatic.

I will soon give you guys a first hand review of how this system performs in a 2005 ESV AWD towing a 7500# boat with 400# tongue weight. Stay tuned.

OK...Before I pull the trigger on this I have to ask a question of those who know more of this than I do.

My 2005 ESV w/106K miles...upon starting after a 15~20 min. stop will run the air compressor for 30~45 seconds....then the compressor stops. At that time I have reached under the rear and squeezed the rubber seal on both rear shocks. They feel flat as if they have no air in them.

Are the shock bladders supposed to fill with air or is the rubber just a seal between the top and bottom of the shock? Is the compressor running until it over comes a low air condition then it stops? I get no ECU trouble codes.

I guess there might be a run timer that turns the compressor off during each ignition cycle if correct air pressure is not achieved....I'll call Arnott and get their answer on this also.

I don't mind spending the money to correct an issue but I hate like hell to spend it un necessarily.

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by sprink60
    OK...Before I pull the trigger on this I have to ask a question of those who know more of this than I do.

My 2005 ESV w/106K miles...upon starting after a 15~20 min. stop will run the air compressor for 30~45 seconds....then the compressor stops. At that time I have reached under the rear and squeezed the rubber seal on both rear shocks. They feel flat as if they have no air in them.

Are the shock bladders supposed to fill with air or is the rubber just a seal between the top and bottom of the shock? Is the compressor running until it over comes a low air condition then it stops? I get no ECU trouble codes.

I guess there might be a run timer that turns the compressor off during each ignition cycle if correct air pressure is not achieved....I'll call Arnott and get their answer on this also.

I don't mind spending the money to correct an issue but I hate like hell to spend it un necessarily.
    Sounds normal so unless you get the service ride control message and codes don't worry.

wesyder is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
    You should be able to feel the bag pump up that is the bag not a cover, the compressor senses the suspension not moving via the sensors and shuts off... Mine has been doing this for about 4 months then the compressor finally went out so my whole air ride is shot however i have not had any trouble codes or error messages what so ever

OK...talked to Arnott...the compressor is timing out and the bladders are not filling because there is a leak. I ordered OEM replacements with a lifetime warranty for $369 to my door + core deposit. Stay tuned....should receive tomorrow.

Sweet

UPDATE...I received the shocks from Arnott late yesterday. I had them installed this AM and dove about 50 miles under different conditions. The Escalade is very stable and smooth...a big improvement...especially at highway speeds (80+ MPH). Previously I would experience a bit of sway but now it is very tight and smooth. On rough surface streets it feels like I just fly over the bumps as compared to the way it was previously.

The next test is with the boat...pulling 7500#...stay tuned.

So far so good.

2MCHPWR is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade

Sprink - thanks for the update. i need new rear shocks for towing too. Did you get the $369 Bilstein shocks or the $379 remanufactured OEM shocks?

Just curious which ones you went with. Another thread in here said the remanufactured OEM ones aren't fully rebuilt. Just new air bags.

Do the new shocks come with the air lines that hook up to the compressor? i'm concerned that my lines might have holes but I don't know if they come when you get the new rear shocks.

UPDATE...I received the shocks from Arnott late yesterday. I had them installed this AM and dove about 50 miles under different conditions. The Escalade is very stable and smooth...a big improvement...especially at highway speeds (80+ MPH). Previously I would experience a bit of sway but now it is very tight and smooth. On rough surface streets it feels like I just fly over the bumps as compared to the way it was previously.

The next test is with the boat...pulling 7500#...stay tuned.

So far so good.
    Yo sprink lets see a pic of the escalade and the boat

Quote Originally Posted by 2MCHPWR View Post
    Sprink - thanks for the update. i need new rear shocks for towing too. Did you get the $369 Bilstein shocks or the $379 remanufactured OEM shocks?

Just curious which ones you went with. Another thread in here said the remanufactured OEM ones aren't fully rebuilt. Just new air bags.

Do the new shocks come with the air lines that hook up to the compressor? i'm concerned that my lines might have holes but I don't know if they come when you get the new rear shocks.
    I got the OEM Re- Furbished...direct replacement...shocks only, no lines. They have all of the original connections...no mods required. They are having a 10% off sale now.

Oh...they also have a Lifetime Warranty which considering Arnott has been around since 1954 is worthy of consideration..

Quote Originally Posted by wesyder View Post
    Yo sprink lets see a pic of the escalade and the boat
    Check this thread.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-2005-esv.html

Nice setup i remember seeing that pic

Yoneytan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade

can anyone tell me if this applies to a 2007 yukon denali? i have both an 07 denali and a 08 escalade, my denali has 120k miles and is riding like crap with regards to suspension.feels like the shocks are bad, could it be the air pump or is it the shocks? was considering replacing them but at a cost of roughly $950 for parts only theres no way, i'd either sell the truck or replace with gas shocks if possible. any help is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoneytan View Post
    can anyone tell me if this applies to a 2007 yukon denali? i have both an 07 denali and a 08 escalade, my denali has 120k miles and is riding like crap with regards to suspension.feels like the shocks are bad, could it be the air pump or is it the shocks? was considering replacing them but at a cost of roughly $950 for parts only theres no way, i'd either sell the truck or replace with gas shocks if possible. any help is appreciated.
    Go here https://www.arnottindustries.com/par...d6_pid150.html

Same exact part No. for the rears.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.