05 Escalade 6.0 manifold bolts broken? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, 05 Escalade 6.0 manifold bolts broken? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Originally Posted by djais1801 my buddy said theyre seeing a ton of these on the 6.2's also I guess I ...
    the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by djais1801
    my buddy said theyre seeing a ton of these on the 6.2's also
    I guess I will have to check before I get a third gen body style escalade(that SUCKS)

djais1801 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 EXT Sable Black

Re: 05 Escalade 6.0 manifold bolts broken?

i just read on another thread of a guy using an "LS1 header stud kit" that bolted up for a perfect fit...might contemplate trying it.

i just read on another thread of a guy using an "LS1 header stud kit" that bolted up for a perfect fit...might contemplate trying it.
    Let me know how it goes

just ordered the LS1 header stud kit...will keep you posted once installed..

just ordered the LS1 header stud kit...will keep you posted once installed..
    Great

capriRS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade EXT

I just put some american racing long tubes on this past weekend i had broken factory bolts. I wasnt able to get them out with out taking my heads off completely.. Then i drilled all the way threw the center of the bolts and then welded a nut on and they spun out easy.. Replaced all my manifold bolts with a ARP bolt kit from summit racing. It wasnt very hard to do.. I replaced alot of gaskets and the knock sencors while i was in there!

YoshiMan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1975 Coupe Deville D'Elegance

Alright, I just stumbled across this thread and decided to take a look at mine... Sure enough, one of the bolts on the rear of the drivers manifold is snapped off.. DOH!!! However, its not leaking yet, and only the head of the bolt broke off, so when I pull the manifold I hopefully should be able to get the remainder of it out with a pair of pliers. If not, I'm going to laugh if i have to pull the cylinder head, because this was the last vehicle out of the several I own that i was expecting to do an engine teardown on anytime soon!

But anyways.. For you guys who tackled this yourselves: Did the remaining bolts unscrew without a fight? Or did they break off too?

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiMan
    Alright, I just stumbled across this thread and decided to take a look at mine... Sure enough, one of the bolts on the rear of the drivers manifold is snapped off.. DOH!!! However, its not leaking yet, and only the head of the bolt broke off, so when I pull the manifold I hopefully should be able to get the remainder of it out with a pair of pliers. If not, I'm going to laugh if i have to pull the cylinder head, because this was the last vehicle out of the several I own that i was expecting to do an engine teardown on anytime soon!

But anyways.. For you guys who tackled this yourselves: Did the remaining bolts unscrew without a fight? Or did they break off too?
    My manifold isn't leaking yet either and I hope it don't as I do not want to have to teardown the engine just for a few bolts

If it ain't leaking I wouldn't mess with it till it did

Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    My manifold isn't leaking yet either and I hope it don't as I do not want to have to teardown the engine just for a few bolts

If it ain't leaking I wouldn't mess with it till it did
    Mine isn't leaking yet...except in cold start i can hear it until it warms up. The only reason i am jumping on it now is because the bolts are cracked off, with the head sticking out vs. sheared completely off.

Well all mine were sticking out just the head of the bolt was popped off all 3 of them! When removing the manifold i hit 1 an it broke off in the actual head. I welded a nut to the other 2 bolts.. One spun right out, the other broke of in the head. I ended up taking the heads off, drilling a hole threw the centers of bolts to relieve some of the bolts pressure so it would retracked a little, then welded on top of the bolt and built it nack up to the top of the hole and proceeded to weld nuts on to them.. When the welds cooled down i took a wrench an spun them right out!

All in all, this is a easy job to do with the right tools! I know not everybody doesnt own a mig welder or know how to weld for that matter.. So you may need to take the heads off and take them to a welding shop or machine shop!

I DONT NOT ADVISE ANYBODY TO USE EASY OUTS!! They are made of a stronger harder metal and when they break off in the bolts its not easy to drill them out because they are so hard!

Now my method is not advised for people who arent very good with a welder! Im not responsible for your mess ups if you do it this way!

Good luck
    Dalton

Quote Originally Posted by capriRS
    Well all mine were sticking out just the head of the bolt was popped off all 3 of them! When removing the manifold i hit 1 an it broke off in the actual head. I welded a nut to the other 2 bolts.. One spun right out, the other broke of in the head. I ended up taking the heads off, drilling a hole threw the centers of bolts to relieve some of the bolts pressure so it would retracked a little, then welded on top of the bolt and built it nack up to the top of the hole and proceeded to weld nuts on to them.. When the welds cooled down i took a wrench an spun them right out!

All in all, this is a easy job to do with the right tools! I know not everybody doesnt own a mig welder or know how to weld for that matter.. So you may need to take the heads off and take them to a welding shop or machine shop!

I DONT NOT ADVISE ANYBODY TO USE EASY OUTS!! They are made of a stronger harder metal and when they break off in the bolts its not easy to drill them out because they are so hard!

Now my method is not advised for people who arent very good with a welder! Im not responsible for your mess ups if you do it this way!

Good luck
    Dalton
    Having the knowledge you is a good thing for this issue I mentioned it to the mechanic at my dealer and he said if it ain't leaking not to worry but he did say that they had seen it before but my truck was the first caddy they had seen with broken bolt heads

They may not leak at the moment.. But eventually they WILL start to leak! Mine did not leak for the first 1 1/2 i owned it, but then they started leaking on cold starts in the mornings.. From there it only gets worse! Any GM truck, suv platform vehicle in 1999- 2006 with 4.8L 5.3L and 6.0L has this problem. Including caddys! I would try welding a nut on each one before i tear down the motor! Gaskets for these are kinda expensive.

Dalton

wesyder is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
    They may not leak at the moment.. But eventually they WILL start to leak! Mine did not leak for the first 1 1/2 i owned it, but then they started leaking on cold starts in the mornings.. From there it only gets worse! Any GM truck, suv platform vehicle in 1999- 2006 with 4.8L 5.3L and 6.0L has this problem. Including caddys! I would try welding a nut on each one before i tear down the motor! Gaskets for these are kinda expensive.

Dalton
    Where are you guys located? Cali here.. Is weather a contributing factor? Im just over 200k. I may pull the manifolds anyway before i have any issues

Quote Originally Posted by wesyder

Where are you guys located? Cali here.. Is weather a contributing factor? Im just over 200k. I may pull the manifolds anyway before i have any issues
    I am in northern Tennessee

----------

Dalton
    I hope they don't anytime soon since I have had my truck for over two years but if they do I will get a set of aftermarket manifolds at the time with better bolts

Im in oklahoma..

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.