What grade of gas do you use?
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, What grade of gas do you use? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I know your supposed to use the high octane stuff, but the lexus dealer out here told my parents that ...
  1. #1
    Spittin Game is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): E
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Denver
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,313

    What grade of gas do you use?

    I know your supposed to use the high octane stuff, but the lexus dealer out here told my parents that they could use the regular gas in their cars (lexus' not caddy's), he said with the high altitude that there is no difference in the grades of gas. He said if we were at sea level, then use the good stuff, but up here it dont matter. Anyone else ever heard of this before? BTW, there cars run the exact same as when they were using the good stuff.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    H.V., Pa/Town of Webb, NY
    Posts
    12,617

    Re: What grade of gas do you use?

    Lexus can run regular fuel in most of their cars and SUV's, if you have a 6.0 engine the owners manual says 91 octane minimum, the 5.3 engine can run on 87 octane. You can run lower octane because these engines have knock sensors that will retard the timing, but this cuts performance and fuel mileage. I ran two tanks of 87 octane (I usually run 93 octane) last week and I got 10.6 miles per gallon around town, and could feel the performance loss climbing large hills, for a year and a half I got 13.2 around town using 93 octane.

  4. #3
    T_Dogg8's Avatar
    T_Dogg8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade EXT 2003 CTS
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,859

    Re: What grade of gas do you use?

    i only use 92 or 93 octane. i don't want to risk messing with it since the owner's manual says 93. if the gas station told me i had to use the good stuff, i wouldn't believe them, but since it's the people who made the truck, i do.

  5. #4
    OCESCALADE's Avatar
    OCESCALADE is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Automobile(s): Escalade
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    SO-CAL
    Age
    48
    Posts
    113

    Re: What grade of gas do you use?

    Running 89 octane since the 2nd fillup. Have 4k on the clock and the caddy runs like a champ. Fuel economy average since day one is 13.4. The owners manual recomends higher octane but says you can run on less. It's a cruiser not a race car and i am happy with the performance.

  6. #5
    Slapshot is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    157

    Re: What grade of gas do you use?

    Quote Originally Posted by T_Dogg8
    "I only use 92 or 93 octane. i don't want to risk messing with it since the owner's manual says 93. if the gas station told me i had to use the good stuff, i wouldn't believe them, but since it's the people who made the truck, i do."
    The sophistication of today's engines will allow you to use whatever grade of gas is available. However, to accomodate the various grades the sensors and chips in the engine will "dumb down" the spark timing to avoid knock and ping. In the newer engine, this is probably not a problem, an engine in the middle to the end of it's life, you're going to hear more knock and ping.

    My Mustang is coming up on 10 years old. When I put the Regular (cheaper) gas in it I can hear it knock like crazy under heavy acceleration, running through the gears entering a highway. I put the Premium in and it purrs like a kitten.

    The Escalade has 2,000 miles on it and likes whatever I give it. On the highway trip we're on now for highway cruising I'll throw the "good stuff" in. For cruising around town, regular.

    Just my .02

  7. #6
    T_Dogg8's Avatar
    T_Dogg8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade EXT 2003 CTS
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,859

    Re: What grade of gas do you use?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slapshot
    The sophistication of today's engines will allow you to use whatever grade of gas is available. However, to accomodate the various grades the sensors and chips in the engine will "dumb down" the spark timing to avoid knock and ping. In the newer engine, this is probably not a problem, an engine in the middle to the end of it's life, you're going to hear more knock and ping.

    My Mustang is coming up on 10 years old. When I put the Regular (cheaper) gas in it I can hear it knock like crazy under heavy acceleration, running through the gears entering a highway. I put the Premium in and it purrs like a kitten.

    The Escalade has 2,000 miles on it and likes whatever I give it. On the highway trip we're on now for highway cruising I'll throw the "good stuff" in. For cruising around town, regular.

    Just my .02
    what kind of fuel mileage do you get??

  8. #7
    Sta11ion is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Toronto Ontario, Canada
    Age
    37
    Posts
    218

    Re: What grade of gas do you use?

    In the manual it says it recommends to use 91 octane for the 6.0l for full performance. BUt you can still use 87 with no problems.

  9. #8
    T_Dogg8's Avatar
    T_Dogg8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade EXT 2003 CTS
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,859

    Re: What grade of gas do you use?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sta11ion
    In the manual it says it recommends to use 91 octane for the 6.0l for full performance. BUt you can still use 87 with no problems.
    i know there won't be major problems, but down the line will there be any?? and your fuel milage should drop off. so you're paying less but driving a shorter distance. i would guess if you figured it all out, you'd be saving money by going with the premium.

  10. #9
    Machine's Avatar
    Machine is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    148

    Re: What grade of gas do you use?

    93 Octane, here

  11. #10
    Grotto is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    20

    Re: What grade of gas do you use?

    Since day one 87 octane. I did an experiment once going to Vegas where I used 91 one way and 87 the other. Exact same milege. As far as performance goes, I agree with one of the posts above: this is a truck

    This being said, use what ever you want, this is a free country and is your money.

  12. #11
    T_Dogg8's Avatar
    T_Dogg8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade EXT 2003 CTS
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,859

    Re: What grade of gas do you use?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grotto
    Since day one 87 octane. I did an experiment once going to Vegas where I used 91 one way and 87 the other. Exact same milege. As far as performance goes, I agree with one of the posts above: this is a truck

    This being said, use what ever you want, this is a free country and is your money.
    which engine do you have?

  13. #12
    Grotto is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    20

    Re: What grade of gas do you use?

    6.0 Fwd

  14. #13
    Slapshot is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    157

    Re: What grade of gas do you use?

    Quote Originally Posted by T_Dogg8
    what kind of fuel mileage do you get??
    It's not fully broken in, but on the highway recently I clocked 23 MPG. Around town the combined is about 16. We'll see what it's like in a few months with more miles on it...

  15. #14
    Rage's Avatar
    Rage is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '03 Escalade Sandstone
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Posts
    48

    Re: What grade of gas do you use?

    Here in Hawaii gas prices are really crazy. $2.47/gal for 92 and $2.27 for 87. Way above the "national average" and it does not go down.

    I am a freak about going below 1/4 tank so I joined Costco for there lower priced gas but the quality was really bad. There was a difference from when I used 92 Costco and 92 from the Union 76 station. Idle was a little rough and power was lagging. I knew that the company that Costco uses here in Hawaii sucked so I used the 89 octane from 76 and then I felt another difference, it was a little better but still sluggish and did not drive as well as the 92 octane. After I emptied that tank I have been using 92 religiously and only at the Union 76 station. Runs like a champ and drives better.

    It might just be all in my mind but I can really feel a difference. Just my experience.

    Rage

  16. #15
    Spittin Game is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): E
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Denver
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,313

    Re: What grade of gas do you use?

    thanks for the replies fellas!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting