Tune-up made my 03 more sluggish?? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Tune-up made my 03 more sluggish?? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Originally Posted by GrippinGrain My rule of thumb on spark plugs is if you have to gap em you got ...
    McLovin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade EXT Supercharged & 2003 Escalade

Re: Tune-up made my 03 more sluggish??

Quote Originally Posted by GrippinGrain View Post
    My rule of thumb on spark plugs is if you have to gap em you got the wrong ones! You should be running either AC-Delco Platinum, Iridium Plugs only!

Also I would suggest pulling off that MAF and getting a can of CRC MAF Cleaner and cleaning that bad boy, Also clean the throttle body!

One last thing I would suggest is Sea-Foaming it! I Sea-Foamed my 2005 EXT and what a huge difference! Im telling you the truck was smoking like a chimney!! There was so much carbon build it was rediculous. Doing this procedure you'll notice a much smoother idle and power increase!
    WHen you sea-foamed it what do you do? You can spray that stuff in the throttle body or dump in the gas tank or even in the oil.

GrippinGrain is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade EXT, 1999 GMC Yukon Denali, 1986 Toyota AE86

I added 1/3 of the can into the vacuum line. In my case I pulled off the vacuum line to the pcv valve. I poured 1/3 into the crankcase, And 1/3 into the gas tank.

Now on the 6.0 vortec youll need to pull off the plastic covers surrounding the engine. On the driver side near the valve cover youll see that line.

I used about 2 feet of clear plastic tubing, Clear is much better and helps you see how much is going in and so forth.

I then measured out 1/3 3 times of the sea-foam and seperated each amount in separate cups. With the engine at idle disconnect the pcv vacuum line and run the tubing from the cup of sea-foam and the other end to the vacuum hose. Now the trick here is you dont want it to suck in so much it dies, So let it suck in the sea-foam slowly and youll notice the engine shake and get rough like its going to stall, But dont let it!!

continue to this process until its almost finished on the last I would say roughly tablespoon or two let it suck it in quick and this will cause the engine to die! If the engine doesnt shut down turn it off immediately!!

Then you'll pour 1/3 into your crankcase through the oil filler, And the remainder into the gas tank.

Now let her sit for roughly 10 minutes.

......When the 10 minutes is up its now time to crank her over and bring her to normal operating temperature. At this point it most likely will be smoking like crazy! Take her for a good long spirited drive to burn off all the carbon!

Last and final step is to change the oil immediately after sea-foaming the truck cause the oil will be very dirty from this procedure and much thinner. In other words degrade the oil, So I wouldnt suggest running longer than 100 miles on the old oil after this procedure!!

Hope this info helps......I wanted to be as specific as possible!!

Its actually a simple procedure, And for $10 a can of sea-foam its a worthwhile cleansing of the engine! Im a preventive maintenance freak and every little bit helps IMO!!

Take care~

McLovin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade EXT Supercharged & 2003 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by GrippinGrain View Post
    I added 1/3 of the can into the vacuum line. In my case I pulled off the vacuum line to the pcv valve. I poured 1/3 into the crankcase, And 1/3 into the gas tank.

Now on the 6.0 vortec youll need to pull off the plastic covers surrounding the engine. On the driver side near the valve cover youll see that line.

I used about 2 feet of clear plastic tubing, Clear is much better and helps you see how much is going in and so forth.

I then measured out 1/3 3 times of the sea-foam and seperated each amount in separate cups. With the engine at idle disconnect the pcv vacuum line and run the tubing from the cup of sea-foam and the other end to the vacuum hose. Now the trick here is you dont want it to suck in so much it dies, So let it suck in the sea-foam slowly and youll notice the engine shake and get rough like its going to stall, But dont let it!!

continue to this process until its almost finished on the last I would say roughly tablespoon or two let it suck it in quick and this will cause the engine to die! If the engine doesnt shut down turn it off immediately!!

Then you'll pour 1/3 into your crankcase through the oil filler, And the remainder into the gas tank.

Now let her sit for roughly 10 minutes.

......When the 10 minutes is up its now time to crank her over and bring her to normal operating temperature. At this point it most likely will be smoking like crazy! Take her for a good long spirited drive to burn off all the carbon!

Last and final step is to change the oil immediately after sea-foaming the truck cause the oil will be very dirty from this procedure and much thinner. In other words degrade the oil, So I wouldnt suggest running longer than 100 miles on the old oil after this procedure!!

Hope this info helps......I wanted to be as specific as possible!!

Its actually a simple procedure, And for $10 a can of sea-foam its a worthwhile cleansing of the engine! Im a preventive maintenance freak and every little bit helps IMO!!

Take care~
    Love this post, thank you for the advise! I am also big on preventive maintenance, including synthetic oils.

CaddyEscalade is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Escalade

I also have a vibration at idle that I can't find. I have also tried plugs, wires, cleaning throttle body, seafoam etc. It seems to start only when the engine is warm, and gets worse when the A/C is on. I am concerned it may be a leaking intake manifold gasket, as the antifreeze level was recently quite low. I am stumped, anyone?

Octaviojhm is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade
    CaddyEscalade, did you find what the problem was with vibration at idle?
    I am having the same problem and I have tried everything ( TB clean, New platinum spark plugs, new wires, sea foam, new air filter, MAF clean) and no luck
    My idle speed is at 500-600 rpm.
    Before doing the tune up at 100k miles the engine was smooth, now it is ok but I can feel a little vibration that it's getting on my nerves!!! Lol
    Please advise

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Mine did like this before and after I replaced the plugs

I checked my throttle body gasket when I replaced my throttle body but it looked ok(no cracks or visible damage)

I have ran two bottles of seafoam through the truck(helped some but the issue returned)

I done a few full throttle bursts and no help

I know its not my fuel pump(it was replaced)

Octaviojhm is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade
    Cadillac Man, i just checked the TB gasket and it looked fine too
    Only difference before and after tune up is that I am now using platinum plugs (41-962) instead of 41-110 ( former 41-985) iridium but AC Delco is now calling platinum as the standard replacement for models 2007 and older, mine is a 2006 Escalade base
    Gap set as factory and owners manual at .040 in.
    This little vibration at idle is kind of a challenge now LOL

Tylus is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade

my vibration had gone away for 2 days after changing the plugs...and it showed it's ugly face again....I cleaned the MAF as well. Never tried SeaFoam before...guess I'll grab a can and see what happens. This vibration is effin annoying! I have a V-10 that you can't tell is running, but my Caddy rumbles like it has a hot cam installed...and I haven't done that yet!

sounds like the rough idle is "normal" a bit for the 6.0. I'm going to keep throwing parts at the issue until I exhaust every avenue, or I fix it. either way, at 66,000 miles the motor needs some TLC as the prior owner ignored it so I don't mind so much

Quote Originally Posted by Tylus
    my vibration had gone away for 2 days after changing the plugs...and it showed it's ugly face again....I cleaned the MAF as well. Never tried SeaFoam before...guess I'll grab a can and see what happens. This vibration is effin annoying! I have a V-10 that you can't tell is running, but my Caddy rumbles like it has a hot cam installed...and I haven't done that yet! sounds like the rough idle is "normal" a bit for the 6.0. I'm going to keep throwing parts at the issue until I exhaust every avenue, or I fix it. either way, at 66,000 miles the motor needs some TLC as the prior owner ignored it so I don't mind so much
    Mine had 122,000 on the clock when I got it

I did the tune up at 123,000 but I didn't run the sea foam in till a lot more miles(I forget how many)

axe
    axe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 Seville STS, 94 Fleetwood Brougham, 02 Escalade

Just some things to check:
    - Exhaust leak on one of the manifolds(broken exhaust bolt(s))
    - Vacuum leak
    - Idle air control valve/motor
    - At night in total darkness with engine idling check underhood for any arcing around the plugs and wires
    - Fuel pressure

Quote Originally Posted by axe
    Just some things to check: - Exhaust leak on one of the manifolds(broken exhaust bolt(s)) - Vacuum leak - Idle air control valve/motor - At night in total darkness with engine idling check underhood for any arcing around the plugs and wires - Fuel pressure
    I can rule out the pump on mine

Will have to check one night to see if the wires are arcing
    I worry about the exhaust bolts but that would trigger the check engine light

Is the idle air control valve part of the throttle body?? If yes then I replaced that when my PCM failed(seal was ok and not cracked when I did the replacement)

Vacuum leak no clue if I have one but I think if I did it would trigger the engine light(not to mention the engine would die at idle been there before)

axe

Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    I can rule out the pump on mine

Will have to check one night to see if the wires are arcing
    I worry about the exhaust bolts but that would trigger the check engine light

Is the idle air control valve part of the throttle body?? If yes then I replaced that when my PCM failed(seal was ok and not cracked when I did the replacement)

Vacuum leak no clue if I have one but I think if I did it would trigger the engine light(not to mention the engine would die at idle been there before)
    You are probably right that most things should trigger the CEL. I don't know how sensitive the computer is, the Escalade is my first vehicle with a Gen III CSB and luckily I havn't had much engine related problems to diagnose yet. I'm more used to how the older computer systems work and with the LT1 lots of problems wouldn't throw a code even if the engine ran rough.

Is the problem consistent? Do you have any diagnostic tool to check the sensors in real time and not just trouble codes?

And BTW thank you so much for helping me with the manuals a few months ago, really appreciated.

You are probably right that most things should trigger the CEL. I don't know how sensitive the computer is, the Escalade is my first vehicle with a Gen III CSB and luckily I havn't had much engine related problems to diagnose yet. I'm more used to how the older computer systems work and with the LT1 lots of problems wouldn't throw a code even if the engine ran rough. Is the problem consistent? Do you have any diagnostic tool to check the sensors in real time and not just trouble codes? And BTW thank you so much for helping me with the manuals a few months ago, really appreciated.
    My scan tool has limited sensor readings (though I have only used that feature once and I wasn't driving the truck at the time)

The computer is pretty sensitive to sensor errors I get a maf sensor error at times because I need to clean it again

Glad to help out with the manuals I know they are handy to have(wish I had a gm tech-2 to go with them)

axe

Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    My scan tool has limited sensor readings (though I have only used that feature once and I wasn't driving the truck at the time)

The computer is pretty sensitive to sensor errors I get a maf sensor error at times because I need to clean it again

Glad to help out with the manuals I know they are handy to have(wish I had a gm tech-2 to go with them)
    If you have an android device you could check out the Torque Pro app for logging real time data. You can find the bluetooth OBD2 adapters for less than $15 on amazon and ebay.

Is it running rough when cold and in open loop? If not, maybe the o2's are giving false readings? It's not guaranteed the computer would notice them being just a slight bit off. They can get fouled up with carbon and perform worse over the years making it run lean, altough you should probably get a code if it misfires.

Nothing worse than a rough idle unless it's got a cam.

If you have an android device you could check out the Torque Pro app for logging real time data. You can find the bluetooth OBD2 adapters for less than $15 on amazon and ebay. Is it running rough when cold and in open loop? If not, maybe the o2's are giving false readings? It's not guaranteed the computer would notice them being just a slight bit off. They can get fouled up with carbon and perform worse over the years making it run lean, altough you should probably get a code if it misfires. Nothing worse than a rough idle unless it's got a cam.
    Will it work with apple devices as I have both a iPhone and ipad mini

I haven't thought of the 02 sensors causing but will check as soon as the single digit temps are out here

I love how a v8 sounds with a aftermarket cam nice and throaty (my car has dual glass packs and I love the burble from them)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.