Fuel filter nut corroded and rounded on fuel line - any suggestions?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Fuel filter nut corroded and rounded on fuel line - any suggestions? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I finally got around to trying to replace my fuel filter and I got one end of the line loosened ...
    pcguy760 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 02 Diamond White Pearl Escalade - Sold 10/11

Exclamation Fuel filter nut corroded and rounded on fuel line - any suggestions?

I finally got around to trying to replace my fuel filter and I got one end of the line loosened but the other end was so corroded it just refused to break loose and to make a long story short - after trying so much the nut is rounded off to hell and I tried everything trying to get it out (except heat - cant use heat cos of the fuel...)

I even took it to a local shop and they said that I would need a whole new
    fuel line!!

What do you guys suggest I do now?

Would it be possible to cut the line on both at the fuel filter and maybe clamp some fuel hose to both ends of the line to install an inline performance fuel filter perhaps?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

luxurylife33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 Escalade (sold) 03 Escalade EXT (sold) - 07 Escalade EXT

Re: Fuel filter nut corroded and rounded on fuel line - any suggestions?

soak it with penetrating oil and use a pair of vise grips. You may need the needle nose version to get up there.

Ok, I will try some PB Blaster perhaps and then go get some pro quality vice grips (I have the ones that come in that cheapo pack with the pliers, etc. etc. lol). I hope this works otherwise, do you think the "rubber fuel hose with inline filter" conversion will work out??

Thanks man.

PJDetwei is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 cadillac escalade and 2003 cadillac escalade

you could use a nut cracker or even dremel through the nut

Quote Originally Posted by PJDetwei View Post
    you could use a nut cracker or even dremel through the nut
    From what I remember, its in a tight spot. He'll be lucky to get a vice grip up there. The key it to get the pb blaster to soak there. One time I had the same problem and what i did was I bought a setup of "jb weld" from walmart ($3 or so). You mix the creme with the catalyst and it forms a super strong bond, apparently has a tensile strength of almost 4000 lbs and an adhesion strength of almost 2000 lbs. What you do is get a socket that fits, fill the entire socket with jb weld and the nut. Let it sit for 24 hrs and it should hold. The only problem is you may never get to use the socket again. I soaked it in thinner, put it in a vise and forced it out with a hammer and vise grips.

UPDATE : Been to three other shops and they all said it was messed up and the line would need replaced - NOW I would like to know if I can just cut the lines on either end, and install an inline performance filter like on my custom car - this is what I did on their and its holding up strong even with a bigger fuel pump, etc. etc.

BUT, would this work out on the Escalade? I sure do not want to change the entire line!

CEPMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac Escalade ESV

I had the same problem (on a 2000). I went to four shops, and they all said I'd have to cut the lines and get the new ends put on or replace the entire line. I wasn't going for that.

What I did was spend about 2 hours repeatedly spraying PB blaster on the connections, then got some vice grips and made them slightly too small, then squoze (is that a word?) the hell out of it to get it onto the line nut, and put a wrench on the filter. I positioned the wrench so that it sat against the frame of the vehicle (to give a little more leverage when trying to rotate the vice grips). Then I got a hammer and whacked at the vice grips, to try and 'shock' the nut, so that the seal would break.

It took a hell of a lot longer than it should have, but it worked. A shop would say that it can't be done, just because they don't feel like spending the time it would take to do the job.

CEP, I just tried again with PB and brand new vice grips, its not working out. Damn, I am struck with this - think my other idea will work out?

93si is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 Escalade EXT

Hey are you talking about cuttin both ends off and installing a aftermarket filter and than just using rubber fuel line to clamp onto?? It sounds like that would be ur easiest and prob cheapest way to go. I have never done that myself to the 'lade but have to my other cars and they always held up just fine.

EXACTLY! Can someone confirm this will work out 100% for me? Thanks Guys!

i wouldnt do the clamp thing unless you get a brake fitting tool to flare the ends. by just cutting the line and putting a hose on it, it would have nothing to seal it. It will eventually come loose. this is what you want to do.....

dont worry about the metal fitting in the picture, just make sure you flare the ends to get a good seal.

Heres the tool.....

Amazon.com: Automotive Flaring Bubble ISO Brake Line Tool Kit: Home Improvement

hotrodln is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS, 2004 Escalade, 62 Fleetwood

I don't think i would substitue the rubber hose for the steel line...it works on your hot rod becuase you probably have a carb...your rubber hose is in slight VACUUM.....on the escalade, your lookin at 40 to 50 PSI in that line.....i think it would leak and drive you nuts....I can't remember what the fuel filter looks like on mine....been a few years since i changed it.got any pictures of yours? maybe one of us can think of something....

Quote Originally Posted by hotrodln View Post
    I don't think i would substitue the rubber hose for the steel line...it works on your hot rod becuase you probably have a carb...your rubber hose is in slight VACUUM.....on the escalade, your lookin at 40 to 50 PSI in that line.....i think it would leak and drive you nuts....I can't remember what the fuel filter looks like on mine....been a few years since i changed it.got any pictures of yours? maybe one of us can think of something....
    Well, this might come as a surprise to you but this custom car I speak of, is custom turbocharged (I basically designed the whole turbo setup the way I wanted it to work), fuel injected with bigger injectors, high flow fuel pump and lots of horspower BUT the rubber fuel line hose (the hose says "fuel line hose" on it) has been holding up for the past 2 years and yes its clamped from a steel line too ... my fuel pressure gauge reads about 45 PSI at idle too - this is why I was wondering if the Caddy would work with an inline performance filter since it seemed so to me....

Here is a pic of the fuel filter from the Caddy...

hotrodln is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS, 2004 Escalade, 62 Fleetwood

well i would say that's pretty lucky that it didn't leak so far.......i suppose there is no room to get a tubing cutter up there ( and be able to rotate it?) then you could use your hose idea?

Silver04 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 ESV

This thread got me thinking...when is the scheduled maintenance to replace the fuel filter?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.