Eliminating brake dust????
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Eliminating brake dust???? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; i have seen those disk brake simulators that go behind the rims and make it look like you have a ...
    99 SKALAID is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Eliminating brake dust????

i have seen those disk brake simulators that go behind the rims and make it look like you have a big ole disc brake.... but how about something that is all black so the brake dust doesnt go onto the rim?? anyone??

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

slimm44 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: Eliminating brake dust????

says it wont fit a 1999 or 2000 escalade and they dont make them up to a 23 :rolleyes2

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

The Escalade's have ceramic brake pads, I believe that this was switched in 02' or for sure 03', my 03' makes no brake dust, however it takes much more brake pressure to stop larger wheels, so you will get more dusting. You may want to switch to ceramic pads when you need brakes.

Daryl in KY is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade

Skalaid,

Get some EBC 6000 brake pads. They have almost no dust and help the brake performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl in KY
    Skalaid,

Get some EBC 6000 brake pads. They have almost no dust and help the brake performance.
    from where please

T_Dogg8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade EXT 2003 CTS

aren't they harder on your rotors and only work really well if your brakes are hot??

Quote Originally Posted by 99 SKALAID
    from where please
    Sorry for not replying sooner, I've been out of town.

I got mine from Tire Rack. I also replaced the front rotors with a set of cross drilled Bemco rotors (from eBay) and replaced the rubber brake hoses with steel braided hoses. The rear drum brakes were adjusted, but are stock. The brake pedal response is much firmer and the brakes grab very well in a panic stop. I don't have anything close to the dust that I had from the stock pads. I am very pleased with the performance considering the cost was under $400 including installation.

under 400 for all of the work??

The pads were around $70, the brake lines around $90, the rotors were $100 on eBay. I was having the Lade serviced, aligned, and the front bearings repacked. Installing the new rotors, shoes, and hoses wasn't a big labor cost.

outofdablue is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

There is no such thing as "less brake dust". If you think about it, your pads, whatever they are made from will wear down after you. With this in mind, how can you have "less" dust if they wear down. The pads with "less" dust only mean that they are made of a different color material. They use a material that is not black. All brake pads are gonna wear and leave little bits and pieces of the material they are made of, so when those bits and pieces are say a silver color rather than black you get the "less" brake dust look.

Quote Originally Posted by outofdablue
    There is no such thing as "less brake dust".
    You can explain it however you want to. I don't have the grungy black dust on my front wheels that I had with the OE pads. The front wheels look like the rear wheels, with road dirt being the major contaminent on the wheels.

joshuap is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Escalade EXT

Where did you get the brake lines?

Quote Originally Posted by outofdablue
    There is no such thing as "less brake dust". If you think about it, your pads, whatever they are made from will wear down after you. With this in mind, how can you have "less" dust if they wear down. The pads with "less" dust only mean that they are made of a different color material. They use a material that is not black. All brake pads are gonna wear and leave little bits and pieces of the material they are made of, so when those bits and pieces are say a silver color rather than black you get the "less" brake dust look.
    don't some brake pads come in harder material that doesn't break down as fast??

Quote Originally Posted by joshuap
    Where did you get the brake lines?
    I got the brake lines over the internet, but I don't remember which parts place that I ordered them from. I believe it was from a parts supplier from Indianapolis. However, The Tire Rack carrys them now. At the time that I ordered the ones that I have, most places did not have them in stock. The ones that I got were listed for the Escalade, but I believe they were intended for raised vehicles as they are a couple of inches longer than I think they need to be. I would suggest that a little research would be a good idea to make sure that they are intended for unaltered height. I have had mine for a couple of years and everything is working OK, I just keep an eye on them when I service, rotate tires, etc.

T Dogg8,
    On the Tire Rack site, there is a description for the EBC pads. It tells about brake dust and the properties of the pad material. There are other places that describe the effect of pad material on brake dust. The OE pads are a compromise between cost and performance. I'm sure that the brake conversion packages that are so popular do not use the same pad material as the OE pads on the '99 & '00 Lades. I understand that the later models have improved pad material, but I haven't seen anyone talk about the dust on the newer models. I suspect that the newer models do not have the same dust issue as the older ones.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.