Cadillac Owners Forum banner
15K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  blingblingcv 
#1 ·
My 03 Escalade has a loud rattle or grinding noise coming from the rear of the vehicle. We only experience it after the car is warm, and then shut off for 1/2 hour or so. As we reach 10-20 MPH after starting again, the noise and vibration occurs for about 3-5 seconds. It doesn't happen all of the time, but is becoming more frequent. Has anyone had this occur? Any solutions?

#3 ·
milne540 - did you ever get it fixed? any solutions?

This also happened with my 04 Escalade which I had for about 3 weeks. I dropped it off with the dealership yesterday but they couldn't find the problem. The service advisor said to bring it back when the noice occurs again which of course I know the noise will not happen when I'm at the dealership. This is very frustrating for a brand new 50k+ car. I'm going to the dealership again to talk to the service advisor. I will keep you all posted.

David

#7 ·
It has happened to me. Given my forced education on rear diffs, I say take it out and drive at freeway speeds for like 10 mins then pull over and place your hand close to the rear diff starting at the center and then move your hand to each end of the axel noting any extreme heat coming from the housing If your miles exceed your basic warranty and the temps seem extreme (the norm is hot to the touch not oven-200 degrees plus-hot) and the fluid is at the proper level-You could have MAJOR issues. My rear diff went out-SMOKED- due to low fluid costing 3K. The symptoms were just like you described progressing to a severe vibration cratering the entire diff. A U-joint could be the culprit and I suggest taking the vehicle to your nearest gear shop for an independent eval if you plan to keep it for awhile. Jiffy Lube is not to be trusted. An experienced gear shop can tell by axel wear about the overall condition of the rear diff. I am sure a worn diff with plenty of fluid will last much longer than mine did (0 fluid+2K miles with 5 passengers) and your dealer is banking on it. A Gear shop can actually gauge bearing wear easily for like a 2 hour charge and replacing components sure beats buying the entire assembly. =250$gearset, 180$ Bearing set, 220$axels, 280$Auburn limited slip, 1200 GM housing, +install and etc. Hope I could help.

#8 ·
Could it be this? I had it on my '02.

Bulletin No.: 02-05-26-002A

Date: February, 2003

TECHNICAL
Subject:
Scraping Noise From Rear Of Vehicle
(Replace Parking Brake Shoe Kit and Clean Drum In Hat Rotor)

Models:
2002-2003 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT
1999-2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Series Pickups
2000-2003 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe 1500 Series Models
2002-2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 Series Models
1999-2003 GMC Sierra 1500 Series Pickups
2000-2003 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL 1500 Series Models

This bulletin is being revised to add Suburban and Yukon XL models. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-05-26-002 (Section 05 - Brakes).

Condition
Some customers may comment on a scraping noise from the rear of the vehicle while driving. The noise may be intermittent.

Cause
Condition may due to the parking brake shoe contacting the drum in hat rotor without the parking brake being applied, causing premature wear on the shoe lining.

Correction
Replace the parking brake shoe and install a new designed spring clip retainer. Follow the service procedure below to correct this condition.

#9 ·
Well, I appreciate the replies and will certainly check out these suggestions. But looking in my Owners Manual tonite, I found a page stuck in after printing that references "Supplemental Brake Assist System". I won't bore you with the details, but the Escalade does a self check of the vacuum brake booster which may sound like a "motor running or feel a slight vibration". This can happen after starting the vehicle and accelerating up to 10 MPH.

This could be it. Yet, I haven't had the issue in a month. Odd.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.