Step by step to replacing rear shocks
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Step by step to replacing rear shocks in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Alright so I have seen a write up for shock replacement but I figured I could help out with some ...
    06Caddykeith is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade

Step by step to replacing rear shocks

Alright so I have seen a write up for shock replacement but I figured I could help out with some pics also. It is a fairly easy job to do for a basic DIYer. I replaced my shocks with Monroe 40034 replacements. The reason for the swap was because I found my compressor was running first thing in the morning everytime I left the vehicle over night, then when I hooked up my sled trailer it would run non-stop and with the extra weight I could hear the air leaking from the shock. So lets begin the swap....

1) Check for leaks using a soap and water sloution mixed in a spray bottle. Let the compressor pump the shock up until it stops then get under there and spray all over looking for bubbles forming. (Pic 1) This will help you determine the faulty shock...maybe sell the other one if its still ok. Think about it, how sweet of a find would it have been for you if you found one lonely used shock for $100? Instead of the $600+ you paided for your pair.

2) Get out the tools needed for the job. Which include jack stands, floor jack, 13/16" combination wrench, 13/16" socket with extension and ratchet, flat head screw driver, and torque wrench (optional). (pic 2)

3) Jack the rear of the vehicle up and support it with jack stands. (pic 3)

4) Remove clip holding air line to shock using your flathead/slotted screwdriver. (pic 4)

5) Disconnect sensor wire from top of shock. I used my finger, but you may need to use your screw driver to pry the tab upwards then pull it off...do not pull off by the tab or you will break that sucker off! (pic5)

6) Loosen and remove top nut on the shock using the combination wrench and ratchet. (pic 6)

7) Loosen and remove bottom nut on the shock using the combination wrench and ratchet. (pic 7)

8) If you try removing the bolts you will find they are quite tight. Now you have to jack up the body of the vehicle to take the weight off of the bolts. I jacked it on the reciever of the hitch (pic 8). If you go too high the suspension will weigh down on the bolt, if you don't go high enough the body will weigh it down. Jack the vehicle up a bit and pull on the bolt, keep repeating until you can get the bolts out. I would remove the bottom one first, this way you can protect the sensor plug while removing the top bolt. Becareful of that sensor plug I can see it getting wedge on something and tearing off.

9) Now we begin the reassembly. Start by installing the top bolt on the new shock. Again this will ensure you don't let the top of the shock fall and break off that sensor plug.

10) With the top bolt in place check that the holes line up in the bottom end of the shock. If they are not straight through, adjust your floor jack so that the hole is aligned. (pic 9) 2 things about this pic...one, it is the top hole not he bottom but he principal is there, two, the holes are not aligned which meant I needed to lower the body a little bit so they would align.

11) Now that the bolts are in put the nuts back on (the washer went on the bolt side btw). Torque the bolts to 70ft/lbs which if you don't have a torque wrench is a very firm tightness but it does not require you to put everything you got into tightening it. Inorder to fit my torque wrench in there I had to drop my spare tire. Which was a good lesson for me to learn any ways cause if I would have had to do that in the dark on the side of a busy highway while it was raining there would be a heck of alot of swearing. Now that I've tried it once in a place I could see what I was doing, it will be much easier on the road if I ever have to. I highly recommend you try it out sometime.

12)Alright now you reconnect your air line and clip to hold it in place, then reconnect your sensor making sure it clicks in place and repeat these steps for the other side. Good luck to you....oh and the 2nd one is usually alot easier and faster. Now take the money you saved doing it yourself and go and buy the tools you borrowed to do the job! Also I didnt see any ride improvment with my replacement but forsure she doesnt sag anymore when I load up a trailer on it.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

shore is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade

Re: Step by step to replacing rear shocks

It's always great when someone takes the time to show others what needs to be done.This will save people tons of money and frustration.

Kudo's to you for taking the time to show us.
    naikentv and naikentv like this.

Caddydude420 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

x2

I was surprised how easy it was to do it myself. The local mechanic and the dealership quoted my parents $1500 for this on their truck (even convinced them to trade a vehicle in early because of this.) I bought the parts for my truck for a 1/4 of the price and did it in an afternoon.

You're crazy if you pay someone that much for a such a simple repair. It makes it even better with step by step instructions and pictures.

pavloh is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade ESV

Thank you very much for this 06Caddykeith.. I got these shocks from Arnotts. http://www.arnottindustries.com/part...79_gid546.html and found a 50$ discount coupon online so even better. And with your instruction and photos had no problem fitting them so thank you

06Caddykeith is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade

no worries, glad to hear it worked out for you.

bdaved is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade

Just a quick thanks for an awesome tutorial. I bought the Bilsteen/Arnott shocks on ebay after reading your post and completed the task in about 2 hours. Saved me a bunch of $$. Thanks again

d3adpool is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by bdaved View Post
    Just a quick thanks for an awesome tutorial. I bought the Bilsteen/Arnott shocks on ebay after reading your post and completed the task in about 2 hours. Saved me a bunch of $$. Thanks again
    does it ride any better?

fierodough is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 Escalade

This should be a sticky!

Or create a sub-forum much like the classifieds where all the DIY's could be stored.

Thanks again!

d3adpool is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by fierodough View Post
    This should be a sticky!

Or create a sub-forum much like the classifieds where all the DIY's could be stored.

Thanks again!
    i agree, should be stickied.

eduardo831 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 escalade

Instead of being stickied there should be a sub-forum for us DIY's, that way when there is more info the first pages of the forum wont be stickies. Great write up

bigputzars is offline Cadillac Owners Member

thanks for the link !! im for sure gonna do it on my own keeping the hundo in my pocket will be a plus !

ddj69 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade

Just did this. Write up was perfect. Getting the bottom bolt in was not fun but got it done.

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Once you get the truck on the interstate you will see a difference in ride as the shocks stiffen to make the truck more stable at higher speeds

YooperJ is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Deville DHS, 2007 Escalade

I know this is not the Deville forum, but I did that replacement. I used the Monroe shocks with springs that are designed for replacement of the air ride system (Passive) on my 03 DHS last summer. Pretty easy to do but the ride was bad unless you loaded down the trunk. Parked the car all winter because of the lightness in the back end. Car sat 6"-8" higher in the rear. Replaced the compressor and put in new Monroe air shocks on it last week. Seems 500% better with only a short ride. The compressors are cheap from Arnott Air Suspension Compressor Part No P-2310, around $200, Shocks Monroe Max-Air Air Shock Absorber Part No MA822 around $75. True it costs twice as much as the Passive system but worth every penny! Note, compressor was double that price last year, that's why I tried the Passive replacement.

blkroy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Great post, I have a 02 DHS and it appears that the rear suspension is low.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.