Hard kickdown transmission
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Hard kickdown transmission in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I've got an '04 AWD Escalade with 2,000 Km's (1,200 Miles). When coasting, say 25 Km's (15 MPH for my ...
    Slapshot is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Hard kickdown transmission

I've got an '04 AWD Escalade with 2,000 Km's (1,200 Miles). When coasting, say 25 Km's (15 MPH for my American cousins) and under light acceleration, around a corner, the transmission is very abrupt and aggressive when it selects the lower gear.

It seems that the shift from O/D to the lower gear 2nd or 1st can't be done smoothly and without the windup.

Anybody else notice this? Anything that can be done to make it more like a "Cadillac" and less like a "Jimmy"?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DancingPaul is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Hard kickdown transmission

My '00 does the same thing. Cruising in traffic at a slow speed, than mildly accelerating makes the trans hit. First time I felt it I thought I got bumped. Took it to cadillac, and they said that that's normal, they're sorry that it makes me uncomforatble, but their warranty guide says that that is acceptable so they can't do anything about it. I wasn't very happy about that.

I also notice that at higher speeds / RPMS, it seems like it doesn't know what gear it wants to be in. guess what the tech told me....
    that's normal on these and to give it more gas to get it to change gears.

I was PISSED.

that's a '00 though, but just my $00.02

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

The dealer can adjust the pressure of the shifts with their Tech II scanner

fast66 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Escalade EXT

hcvone, can the preditor programmer fix that problem as well?

Quote Originally Posted by hcvone
    "The dealer can adjust the pressure of the shifts with their Tech II scanner"
    Thanks for that, I'm supposed to drop it off for service in the next week I'll see what he has to say.

When I arranged the service visit I was told, "It's a truck, it's the same transmission that's in all our trucks". I was not happy and told the guy there was a reason why I spent $60,000 on an Escalade and not $35,000 on a Silverado! He seemed to take my point after that... He said there was nothing to adjust, it was all electronic. He'd see if there was a newer version of the shift software...

Angry Re: Hard kickdown transmission

"Cruising in traffic at a slow speed, than mildly accelerating makes the trans hit. First time I felt it I thought I got bumped."

Same thing man. Cruising around a parking lot looking for a parking spot is when I notice it the most. Just tapping the gas and bang sounds like the rear end is gonna snap...

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

Quote Originally Posted by fast66
    hcvone, can the preditor programmer fix that problem as well?
    You can control shift pressures with the Preditor, just not sure if you have a choice of up shifts and down shift pressures in the Preditor, I believe you can only control up shift pressures, I will check once the rain stops

outofdablue is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Hey slapshot, I have an 03 Ext with the same problem, anytime you go over bumps and your foot hits the gas the whole truck just jerks foward. I took it to the dealer and they told me that it was normal and probably due to the drive by wire system. He said its supposed to be really responsive. Please post if they fix your truck.

Will do - if they fix it. We're off on a road trip in the Escalade so it will be a couple of weeks before we get it in. I'll keep you posted!

mrplastic is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Don't you guys ever just talk to the mechanics and not the service manager!! If you talk to a mechanic, the harder the shift, the better the condidtion tranny. Think about it...

Question Re: Hard kickdown transmission

"
    Quote Originally Posted by mrplastic
    Don't you guys ever just talk to the mechanics and not the service manager!! If you talk to a mechanic, the harder the shift, the better the condidtion tranny. Think about it...
    "

I'm thinking about it and I believe there are a few things you're missing...

What happens when the tranny bangs a shift for you?

The sudden torque, first on the U-joints, then the pinion, then the axel shafts can't be a good thing on a daily driver. Not only will that prematurely wear your seals and rotating parts, it's uncomfortable and no way for a smooth ride. Something you want in a Cadillac...

For a 1/4 mile runner, yeah you want a shift kit, maybe even a high stall torque converter, but not in a daily driver and smooth cruising...

skaha is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I had the same tranny complaints with my 03 when I got it. I took it in and they simply uploaded a couple of the latest "computer updates" and now the tranny is silky smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by skaha
    "I had the same tranny complaints with my 03 when I got it. I took it in and they simply uploaded a couple of the latest "computer updates" and now the tranny is silky smooth."

That's excellent news. I'm on vacation now, getting 23 MPG on the highway and enjoying the highway cruise in the new Escalade. When I get back home I'll drop it off and see what the dealership can do with the 'puter updates on the tranny!

Thanks.

T_Dogg8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade EXT 2003 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by Slapshot
    That's excellent news. I'm on vacation now, getting 23 MPG on the highway and enjoying the highway cruise in the new Escalade. When I get back home I'll drop it off and see what the dealership can do with the 'puter updates on the tranny!

Thanks.
    wow. 23 mpg. how are you doing that?? the best i could do was 19.

T_Dogg8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade EXT 2003 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by mrplastic
    who wants a hard shifting cadillac?? and transmissions that are about to die shift hard also. just drive an early 90s ford ranger and you feel what i mean.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.