Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Need assistance with finishing a Viper 5901 alarm/remote start install!

9K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Je357 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I have been searching to no avail, and need to ask for some help here...

My buddy and I finished the install on my 05 Escalade last night, alarm/remote start all working great, got the seat heater on an aux. channel etc...

Question is, how can I get the defroster output setup? I know its a soft button in the HVAC control module that sends the signal through the bus...

How is everyone wiring this up, where can we tap into it?:banghead:

Everything else is buttoned up and working great...

Thanks in advance!!!;)

#3 ·
I've never been a big fan of multiple accesories hookup on remote start, mind you I could pop open the hood via remote control on my 92 GTI! Defrost signal at the HVAC is class 2 data, you will have to power up the defrost after the relay in the IP. Here is the wiring diagram.

Shore: A base remote start install is very easy to do on our trucks, especially now with the data module that hookup to the OBD connector, they handle passlock, arm-disarm, door lock unlock, parking lights signal and tach, heck you can do 70% of the job hooking everything up sitting on the couch (the missus loves it when she finds bits and pieces of wire in the cushions...). I used to own an auto electronics - window shop for 10+ years, I'll be glad to help you out!

#5 ·
Iphone adaptor? I've been out of the bizness full time since 05, and I've only been doing some install here and there part time so I'm a bit behind in the latest technology. Good quality remote starters can be bought on fleabay for less than $100. I'll have a look there if the data bypass module we use is available. We install direkt start products. A bit of AutoStart also. Not a big fan of DEI but their stuff is good. I'll get back to you.

#6 ·
Viper came out with a "smart start" alarm a while back where you control the car from your iphone. Remote start, lock/unlock and AUX are controlled over the internet essentially. Theres a monthly fee and the unit costs about $500 (install not included) and is only available at Best Buy, although they have started popping up on eBay in recent months.

OP,
How did you wire up the seat heater? Did you add some sort of voltage converter or simply used 12v AUX line? What color was the wire for the seat heater also? And was it + or -. Please help! I installed a Hornet 2way paging alarm and have heat in the AM but no warm seat! I'm scared to hook up a solid 12v to the line.

#7 ·
It's from Viper so if you have a compatible DEi/Viper remote start the module is $299 and the 1st year of service is free.$20something per year after.It is sat based like onstar.$500 is for the whole thing minus labor.

It's pretty slick..the iphone looks/functions like a big remote key.lock/unlock/start/panic etc etc.It's just less stuff to carry in your pocket IMO.You always have your phone so less to lose also.The price is kinda stupid right now.

#9 ·
SK7- Thanks for the info/wiring diagram, I just emailed it to myself at home so I can look at it there!

The defroster will be tackled soon, but right now I am troubleshooting a parasitic loss that's bad enough to kill my battery overnight ;-(

Its definitely something with the install though, started same night, haven't had any previous battery/starting issues...

But when the battery isn't dead, the viper 5901 is great! :thumbsup:

luxurylife33- I will have to look up the exact wire for ya later (i'm at work) but I want to say its a light green wire where the heater control switch connects to the door control unit (the actual window switch panel), in the door... We just used a relay off an aux channel (I chose the trunk, as we don't need that anyway)

Each time you remotely hit the aux channel, it sequentially acts like you press the button...

Off-
High-
Med-
Low-

My buddy hooked this part up (as you can tell), I will find out the exact pin/polarity for ya... If I forget, feel free to PM me in a few days to remind me!

We were going to do the rear defroster the same way, but then realized how it's setup... and with how late it was already, we decided to come back to that at a later time...

#10 ·
Most of the current drain we found on GM vehicules was related to the RAP staying on permanently. I recall once it was blamed on a flashing led hooked up to the ignition, the cycle on-off of the led was perceived by the PCM as a cyle of the ignition switch on-off, so the battery would die after a few days. I doesnt take much to fool the pcm into wake up mode.

#11 ·
I would really appreciate that. I wanted to get those AUX seat heaters working before winter!

What if your iphone loses battery is there a back up remote? I'm gunna have to look into it. But you have to open an app just to unlock the doors? I dunno... my 2 way alarm works in the same manner.

#12 ·
SK7-
I think it is tied to the pcm staying awake... I tested the amperage over the negative side of the battery, and the results are as follows...

With the fuses pulled on the alarm (aka, back to stock), the truck will settle down to .01amps parked... Great...

with the fuses plugged in,(alarm on, enabled/disabled doesn't make a difference) it sits right at .05amps being drawn, and kills the battery over night...

to be pulling .05, tells me the car is still awake, but the warning led isn't even flashing at that point...

(the bypass module does have a flashing led now that I think of it though, perhaps I should kill that, plug everything else in and see what happens??)

#13 ·
Most bypass modules do have a status led for programming, but I've never seen one pull 'nuff juice to drain a battery overnight. The situation I mentioned above was with a flashing led hooked up between positive and ignition wire at the switch. Car was a 2000+ cavalier. When off, the ignition wire is negative which makes the led flash. Key on, both wires are positive, led shuts off.

I would suspect one of the added relays is the cause of the current drain. Did you install a starter cutoff/anti-grind with the remote start? What kind of data bypass module are you using? You can leave the door open with a charger on the battery and confirm shutdown after 20 minutes (domelight off). If not maybe you can check for relays that are hot to the touch?

#16 ·
rear defrost is a negative trigger on 05. located at the BCM in the grey connector pin A8 (white wire)
i ve been doing remotes for a long time up here in Northern Ontario Canada. everyone has them here!
what bypass are you using? what size is your battery? ive seen many problems with GM models having dead batteries after a short time.
did you hook up the rap shutdown during your install?
and im just curious but what is the going rate for installation in your area?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.