Throttle Body 99-00
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Throttle Body 99-00 in Cadillac Escalade Forums; From the picture, I need to clean the throttle body, just wanted to find out where that is, never really ...
    DeL2000 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Throttle Body 99-00

From the picture, I need to clean the throttle body, just wanted to find out where that is, never really messed with the intake before. But, I've read that the throttle body can have inconsistent idle and possible stalling if not cleaned. I was driving on the road the other day and if felt as thought it was ready to stall out. I do have the K&N filter installed, that's why I'm thinking that the Throttle body may need cleaning due to some build up from the oil.

If you can point it out on the pic, that would help me. Thanks

Del

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

slimm44 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: Throttle Body 99-00

its right where the intake tube stops (right in front of the "vortec" box).

That ol cluck of plastic....Thanks Bro!! Anything else that I should clean or look for?

I'm thinking it's time to replace the intake soon. Possible with a Volant intake.

99 SKALAID is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by DeL2000
    That ol cluck of plastic....Thanks Bro!! Anything else that I should clean or look for?

I'm thinking it's time to replace the intake soon. Possible with a Volant intake.

no it is not plastic... IT is where the yellow spring is... THAT is the throttle body, below that plastic piece..

How do you go about removing the plastic to get to the throttle body? Are there some bolts, screws...etc..

It's so hard to get to it, need to get a little step ladder to be able to get my hands on it.

I was able to remove the intake cover off the throttle body and sprayed it with throttle cleaner, only on the top part and partial inside the valve. Is it possible to remove the throttle body entirely in order for me to clean properly?

I was driving today and the SUV stalled on me twice, once during braking and the other while I was cruising. The RPM seems low, felt like it was sluggish. Is it the Throttle body or something else. I've replaced the fuel filter.

I'm asking your help, cause I live in the UK and there's no cadillac dealership here, nor a garage that can work on escalades. I have to do all the work myself. If you have experience this kind of problem before, your advise on this matter is truly appreciated. Thanks.

Del

Daryl in KY is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade

Del,

Since you said that you have a K&N filter, the oil from the filter may have contaminated the MAF. The MAF is the device right after the air cleaner and in front of the flex tube. It has some delicate parts, so handle with care. You can probably use the same cleaner, but use sparingly. Otherwise you may have a sticking throttle postioner. If you can find a GMC or Chevy dealer, they can troubleshot your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl in KY
    Del,

Since you said that you have a K&N filter, the oil from the filter may have contaminated the MAF. The MAF is the device right after the air cleaner and in front of the flex tube. It has some delicate parts, so handle with care. You can probably use the same cleaner, but use sparingly. Otherwise you may have a sticking throttle postioner. If you can find a GMC or Chevy dealer, they can troubleshot your problem.
    I wish I can take it to a dealer, but Great Britain don't have one.

1. What should I do, remove the MAF sensor and clean it out with some sort of carb cleaner?

2. Use only slight burst?

3. And should I wipe it off with q-tips?

4. Should I conitnue to use the K&N filter

Want to make sure I'm cleaning this right, before I start. Thanks

Del

i found this to help you clean the MAF. its for a Mustang, but it gives you an idea of what to do.
    http://www.bullittarchive.com/Maintenance/maf/
    if you can't figure out how to take it apart, i can take mine apart tomorrow and post how to do it.

oh, and you might want to try swapping the stock air filter back in if the MAF cleaning doesn't solve your problem.

Thanks Bro

I'm going to give that a try first, before buying a replacement part. I've been searching all over the net and everyone has different version of cleaning. Either they use alcohol, electronic contact cleaner, carb/choke/throttle cleaner....so which way is the best.

I'll give the alcohol cleaner a try, but I hate to touch the sensors...or maybe I'll just go buy the electronic contact cleaner to avoid touching all together. If this still doesn't work, since I'm heading back to San Diego this Fri, I'll just buy a new MAF.

As for the air filter...I may return back to paper if this continues, I love the K&N, but the oil is starting to cause some problems on the intake.

Del

Quote Originally Posted by slimm44
    i found this to help you clean the MAF. its for a Mustang, but it gives you an idea of what to do.
    http://www.bullittarchive.com/Maintenance/maf/
    if you can't figure out how to take it apart, i can take mine apart tomorrow and post how to do it.

Just got to tell you that my Lade is running back to normal, it was the MAF sensor that was causing the problem. Took out the MAF sensor from the tube and cleaned it with 99% Isopropyl Alcohol gently on the sensors, let it dry and installed back onto the tube. Also, cleaned the throttle body and the intake tubes. Can't believe those sensors actually makes a difference.

Thanks again for the help!

Del

glad to hear you solved your problem! :coolgleam

Daryl in KY is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade

Del, sorry that I didn't get back to you. I've been traveling. It looks like Slim gave you the help that you needed. I run a K&N on my '00 Lade. The oil from the K&N fouling the MAF sensor is a common problem. You probably just need to clean some of the excess oil off the filter. Thanks for posting how you cleaned the MAF and the results.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.