Towing a UHAUL trailer
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Towing a UHAUL trailer in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I am helping a friend move this weekend, and I am going to be towing a uhaul trailer (12x16). I ...
    brett79 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Towing a UHAUL trailer

I am helping a friend move this weekend, and I am going to be towing a uhaul trailer (12x16). I have had my Escalade for about 4months now, and this will be the first time I tow anything....is there anything i should know/look out for?????

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RBraczyk is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Towing a UHAUL trailer

Make wide turns, Slow down earlier, back up very slowly and if the trailer starts going cockeyed fast, then stop and start over again. Drive the speed limit. If people cut you off, move along side them and give them the all american salute. Also, no fast starts.

Daryl in KY is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade

Brett, with any trailer make sure the stop lights and turn signals work. Probably most important, make sure there is more weight ahead of the trailer axle than behind it. If the trailer tongue is lifting up on the vehicle hitch, you will have an unstable towing condition, not a lot of fun.

DeL2000 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Also, make sure that you don't tow beyond the tow hitch capacity. Drive in 4-wheel drive rather than 2 wheel drive, if possible to avoid damage to your trans. I know they say to drive around 45mph when towing, but I usually take it up to 60-65. But if your a beginner, take your time and drive around 45 to 55.

brett79 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I appreciate everyones advice...I have towed some things before. I guess i should have worded my sentence better...... Any advice/tips on the Escalade itself, and the way it tows....not towing in general.

Thanks

Daryl in KY is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade

Brett, I see that you have a 2003. Use the tow mode on the tranny. Some vehicles claim a gretter tow capacity in 4WD, but unless you're at the vehicle limit, that's not necessary. The danger to any tranny is heat. The 'Lades have engine oil and tranny oil coolers, so they're equipped as good as any vehicle. So keep an eye on your gauges. If things get hot, it is better to continue at a reduced speed than to stop, assuming that there isn't a fluid loss. Stopping eliminates air flow over the cooling devices, causing heat spikes. If the U-Haul has its own brake system, it will probably be a surge brake. Anticipate stops and try to keep off the brake unless it's needed. Otherwise you'll have a lot of jerking.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.