People with Giovanna or any other sort of aftermarket rims.....
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, People with Giovanna or any other sort of aftermarket rims..... in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Do you guys/gals roll on your aftermarket rims in winter or do you swap back your stock wheels? If you ...
    Clem is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

People with Giovanna or any other sort of aftermarket rims.....

Do you guys/gals roll on your aftermarket rims in winter or do you swap back your stock wheels?

If you keep them on through the winter how has the finish held up?

Curious as I may be buying an 02 Escalade and was thinking of Giovannas and am not quite certain if I should keep them on over the winter or hold on to the stock wheels for the winter time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

PistolPreeth is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: People with Giovanna or any other sort of aftermarket rims.....

I have 24 inch Giovanna Genoas. For the winter i go back to my stock rims. Its ok to drive through the snow in like 1 inch of snow with the 24s, but u still will be slippin and sliding. Performance tires and snow=not a good mix. Its not a big deal to put the stock wheels on. Pluis u can always opt for the factory chrome rims---so u wont be so (non baller) in the winter

outofdablue is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I think it all depends on the type of weather in your area. If you get any snow at all then definetly keep the stock ones on. I have had chrome tarnishing problems with my Foose wheels. On my rear passenger side, the rim started to tarnish and all the chrome came off leaving only the brass colored nickel finish underneath. The problem is the salt and all the chemicals they use to clear the snow. Also, that side is where the exhaust lets out and with the salt and snow + the steam and heat from the exhaust turned my bright chrome rim to copper color. And that was the only one I had a problem with, that makes me believe the gases from the exhaust had something to do with it. For the money you pay for those rims, it is worth the extra time and money to put the Oem's on in the winter. That way you can clean them, wax them and save some tire tread in the winters.

brett79 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I would definitely suggest swapping off your wheels during the winter. The salt eats away at the chrome.....I am taking my 22's off this winter. Last winter I had a Navigator with 20's and decided to leave them on (mistake), and I am not gonna make it again!

Jungle George is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Clem
    Do you guys/gals roll on your aftermarket rims in winter or do you swap back your stock wheels?

If you keep them on through the winter how has the finish held up?

Curious as I may be buying an 02 Escalade and was thinking of Giovannas and am not quite certain if I should keep them on over the winter or hold on to the stock wheels for the winter time.

WINTER???? Different rims???? Here in SoCal we use the same rims all year round without fearing problems....

Thanks for the insights.

I pretty much figured swapping them for stock in the winter would be a better idea than leaving them on.

As for looking not so baller in the winter. Not really worried about that either since when I was driving my BMW in the winter (before it became a garage queen) I rolled on 15" steelies. That kinda stuff really humbles a man.

heres a question....

the stock chrome wheels. are those ok to drive with in the winter? will the salt eat at them? I mean they are chrome....aren't they?

blingblingcv is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

I think its fine to drive in the snow with chrome wheels as long as you maintaine them. I have used my rims in the snow for three years now. I did however get them washed alot and washed them myself. I would only recommend doing this if you have a garage. Because of the cold weather, leaving your rims out in the cold for a long time will make them start to crack. My college roomate had 23" giovannas on and because he kept his outside his rear right wheel got frozen and cracked once he hit a pothole. This made him have to put his spare on. Now having a spare and 3 24" wheels, will mess up the wholew drive. He had to go to a local rims store and pay 1500 to get a new rim and tire.

so even the stock chrome rims are not cool to use in the snow?

blingblingcv is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

I do not have the chrome stock wheels. But they are chrome, so I guess the salt that is put on the road will mess up the chrome. But you have 24" giovannas so who really cares. If you do roll through the snow in chrome wheels. I recommend you whipe them down when you are done driving because salt chrome do not like one and another.

2004 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle George
    WINTER???? Different rims???? Here in SoCal we use the same rims all year round without fearing problems....
    I heard that. I roll South Texas and SoCal w/ same rims all year. I've never seen it snow.

99escalademan is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Doesnt it mess up your suspension? usaully stock oem rims are 17" or 18". So your on 24's or whatever for 7 months and and 4 months on a smaller size rim.

Well you usually try to keep the same wheel/tire package height.

for example: a 225/50/16 will be approximately the same height as a 235/35/19 +/- 0.5"

You can usually get away with a +/- 3% variance

By keeping the total height the same you should not affect your suspension, speedo etc...

The only think that SHOULD change is your acceleration due to heavier wheels and larger rotational mass.

brett79 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Stock chrome rims could get ruined too. Like someone mentioned on here, as long as you keep them clean the you will be ok (as for any chrome wheel). I just found it a pain washing my wheels all the time and got lazy, and that is when my wheels got messed up. The stock wheels are much smaller and much easier to clean.....plus in the winter with them on, I wouldnt mind just running my Lade through a touchless carwash to get the salt off....

Quote Originally Posted by Clem
    The only think that SHOULD change is your acceleration due to heavier wheels and larger rotational mass.
    Forgot to add that the ride may be rougher due to the smaller sidewall.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.