URPA Control Module on 2005 ESV
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, URPA Control Module on 2005 ESV in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Can someone please point me in the right direction on the URPA on an ESV. Is it in the cab ...
    pilot-werx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none

URPA Control Module on 2005 ESV

Can someone please point me in the right direction on the URPA on an ESV. Is it in the cab or underneath by the rear bumper???

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

zerocarpileup is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade

Re: URPA Control Module on 2005 ESV

well i dont know where the upra module itself is. but i know the wire for the urpa to diagnose the system if on the same loom as the BCM under the rear passenger seat. its only 2 wires(one green and one black) with a black clip on a smaller loom. Ive been messing with my urpa for a while so just ask way if you think i can help.

thank you for the info... is it located under the second row seat or the third row? i checked all the connectors on the rear bumper and they seem fine... maybe the diagnosis will help.....

thank you again for the help!

Its behind the second row seat, here is a write up from an earlier thread.

Using the 3 indicators on the rear parking assist display the system is capable of displaying diagnostic trouble codes. After the bulb check has been completed, the red outside indicator flashes to indicate a malfunction with the system. The module disables operation of the Ultrasonic Read Parking Assist (URPA) system under this condition.
    On standard and ESV Escalades, the RPA module is behind the right rear seat. On the EXT Escalade, the RPA module is in a box assembly with the suspension module behind the left rear seat, attached to the seat frame.
    HOW TO "ENTER" DIAGNOSTIC MODE
    To enter diagnostic mode, proceed as follows:
    1. Short the rear parking assist diagnostic connector to ground while the vehicle is in PARK.
    2. Turn the ignition ON.
    3. Place foot on the brake.
    4. Shift the vehicle into REVERSE within 5 seconds. If the vehicle is not shifted into reverse within 5 seconds after turning the ignition ON, the diagnostic mode will still be initiated. However, a reverse input wiring fault will be registered as shown in the Diagnostic Indicator table below.
    When the diagnostic mode is first entered, the rear parking assist display displays the amber outside indicator and the red outside indicator. Then the indicators on the rear parking assist display will display one or more of the sequences in the table below to indicate where the fault exists within the rear parking assist system.
    Diagnostic Indicators
    State/Fault Location Amber Outside Amber Middle Red Outside
    Start of Diagnostics = ON OFF ON
    RR Corner Object Sensor and Wiring= ON OFF OFF
    RR Middle Object Sensor and Wiring = ON ON OFF
    LR Middle Object Sensor and Wiring = OFF ON ON
    LR Corner Object Sensor and Wiring = OFF OFF ON
    Chime Warning Wiring = OFF ON OFF
    Reverse Input Wiring = OFF FLASHES OFF
    Sensor Supply Voltage Circuit and = FLASHES FLASHES FLASHES

HOW TO "CLEAR" TROUBLE CODES
    The rear parking assist diagnostic sequences may be cleared in one of the following ways:
    5. Drive the vehicle forward at least 24 km/h (15 mph). Stop the vehicle. Turn the ignition OFF.
    6. Turn the ignition ON. Place foot on the brake. Shift the vehicle into REVERSE within five seconds. Turn the ignition OFF.
    The sequences will not clear if the rear parking assist diagnostic connector is grounded.
    You need a paper clip for this one...

The UPRA isn't on Class II so it can't be scanned for codes. But the good news is there's a 2-pin diagnostic connector hanging off the harness near the UPRA module, and all you have to do is short the 2-pins and read the codes as follows:

- Ignition off
    - Short diagnostic connector in PARK
    - Ignition ON
    - Apply BRAKE
    - Shift into REVERSE within 5 SECONDS

The UPRA lights will flash codes. Post back what the lights do.

No lights? Check the fuse, and if still no lights either the UPRA module or wiring is bad. I assume no chimes either (if chimes and no lights, check the connector on the UPRA display).

i usually pride myself on my mechanical know-how but I am feeling stupid here.... is it under the carpet? behind some trim?

lol, i know what you mean, i was hunting for it too and it was right there in my face. ok, so do you see the Body control module? it is a black box about 3x4" with a blue connector to it. ok the blue connector's wires are encased in a black plastic wire loom. the 2 urpa wires "branch" out of that larger loom it its own smaller black plastic loom. it might be wrapped in black tape.

Heres a pic from my 2002 base
    Attached Images

ok, so i am not that stupid..... on my 05, the BCM is not located in the same spot..... So the search continues.... Any other ideas???

hmmmm, ok let me do some research. by the way, what exactly is the problem with your urpa? maybe i came across it before.

the problem is when I put the car in reverse the red light flashes but there is no chime. I have taken out the four rear sensors and checked the connections and they are fine. I am guessing that it is a bad sensor but I have no clue which on it is....

your help is appreciated...

still trying to locate the plug to diagnose the urpa not working... anyone have any idea where it may be located on an 05 esv?

fierodough is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 Escalade

Good info!

Can this be a sticky?

finally located the module in rear cargo area. looks like my rear left sensor is out. the manual i purchased for $15 from the opening page has saved me $500 from time not spent in the shop!

Youngrodder is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade ext

Quote Originally Posted by pilot-werx View Post
    finally located the module in rear cargo area. looks like my rear left sensor is out. the manual i purchased for $15 from the opening page has saved me $500 from time not spent in the shop!
    Chris-

Was it easy to diagnose the bad sensor? I have the same symptoms as yours. The only part of the directions that I am unclear on is step one. Is it the small black wire from the module inside the truck that you ground or do you ground each sensor as you test them?

I am guessing that you ground the module.

Any help would be great.

Marc

yea you simply grab a small piece of small gauge wire and stick each end of it in each of the two holes.

it was very easy once I located the module itself and the small diagnostic connector. use a small piece of wire to go between the two ports, turn the ignition on, foot on the brake, and put into reverse.

although not a sales pitch, the $15 I spent on the service manual is the best money I have spent in a long time.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.