URPA Control Module on 2005 ESV - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, URPA Control Module on 2005 ESV in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Originally Posted by pilot-werx it was very easy once I located the module itself and the small diagnostic connector. use ...
    Youngrodder is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade ext

Re: URPA Control Module on 2005 ESV

Quote Originally Posted by pilot-werx View Post
    it was very easy once I located the module itself and the small diagnostic connector. use a small piece of wire to go between the two ports, turn the ignition on, foot on the brake, and put into reverse.

although not a sales pitch, the $15 I spent on the service manual is the best money I have spent in a long time.
    Thanks guys.

After a breif visual inspection I could see where one of my sensors is broken where it plugs in. I am guessing that is the one that is broke, but I will know once I do the diagnostics.

Marc

I did add a wire between the two terminals to ground the relay.

When I have tried to enter the diagnostic mode by following the directions the only thing that I get is the outside amber and outside red light to flash for approximately 4 seconds then it goes blank for 4 seconds then comes back on with the outer amber and red lights. This cycle is repeated over and over again with no change.

What am I doing wrong?

sk7
    sk7 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade AWD

Great info! I finally know where that little plug goes.... I just coudn't figure out where in the seat to plug it in, gave up after a few minutes. After performing the steps to get into diag mode, I got RL corner defect. Guess my cheapo sensor is working. The bad news is I got another one which isnt...

zerocarpileup is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by Youngrodder View Post
    I did add a wire between the two terminals to ground the relay.

When I have tried to enter the diagnostic mode by following the directions the only thing that I get is the outside amber and outside red light to flash for approximately 4 seconds then it goes blank for 4 seconds then comes back on with the outer amber and red lights. This cycle is repeated over and over again with no change.

What am I doing wrong?
    I think the system is telling you that there is nothing wrong with it. The outside amber and outside red sequence, initiate and end the diagnostic test.

It appears as just one sensor was loose. I re-connected all of the wire plugs going into the sensor and it now works.

I am still looking for a trim ring for one of my sensors(2004 EXT). This is the trim that holds the sensor to the bumper.

Thanks
    Marc

unique1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 Escalade

I have checked all connections, this is what I get when I do the diagnostic. Outside amber and red to signal start of diagnostic, then I get all three flash then I get red outside flashing. then the end of the diagnostic of the outside amber and red flash. I don't understand what this is telling me other than the LR is not functioning what do the three flash at the same time signify the sensor supply voltage circuit and sensor low reference circuit if so how is this repaired.

Thanks

sk7

Did you also check the main connector for the sensors rear right over the exhaust pipe area? Seems the sensors are not getting enough voltage, lack of ground or connector unplugged? Your avatar doesn't say if you have an EXT, but there's a bunch of wires-connectors-junction box in that area on ESV-base models escalades. Might be different on EXT tho. I can post the wiring diagram tomorrow for the sensors if you need it.

SK7- Thanks for your quick reply, I have 04 Escalade not an ESV or a EXT. I was going to attempt the main connector next. I haven't been able to disconnect it yet but now it flashes all three then two amber now it's saying its the other sensor my guess is the sensors are fine I have to test the wiring.

sk7

Couple URPA wiring diagrams to help you out...

Update, Diagnostic shows that all sensors are working I have now just have the the start of diagnostic then a quick flash of all three amber amber red then the end of the diagnostic, from the urpa unit itself I tested ground was at 10ohms so regrounded and still I have the three flash any other grounds I should be checking as well could my urpa need replacing?

sk7

According to the codes chart all 3 flashing is a voltage problem at the sensors? Check for voltage at the dark blue wire position 5, then see if that value is found at all 4 sensors. Maybe try the clear codes procedure? I had 2 issues with mine, it said bad sensor and bad connection. I would swap that sensor with one that was ok, I would still get bad sensor-connection on that same spot, + another bad sensor where I put the other one. I replaced the sensor, (thanks to luxurylife) and all is well, no need to reset codes or anything.

luxurylife33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 Escalade (sold) 03 Escalade EXT (sold) - 07 Escalade EXT

glad the sensor i sent worked out for you! worked out for me too! not having back up sensors in working order on my ext drove me insane!

tlower is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac Escalade ESV Platinum

Hey pilot-warez- We have the same vehicle (05 Escalade ESV) and I saw that you had found the rear parking assist diagnostic port in the rear cargo area. Where exactly in the rear cargo area is it? Do I need to lift up any carpet? I'm just not seeing it anywhere. Thanks in advance.

Travis

pilot-werx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none

In the rear on the drivers side, I had to pull the top covers off from the plastic side panels. It was the two in front of where the jack is kept. Let me know if you find it. The wires are in the bundle.

tlower is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac Escalade ESV Platinum

Pilot - You are the man! I had just stumbled across that area when looking for it a week or so ago but only saw the jack (had no idea that's where the jack is stored). I opened up the second plastic area after you told me and sure enough, found the bundle. Did some diagnosis and replaced two of the sensors with cheapo ones and poof - I have URPA for the first time since I have had this vehicle.

The Cadillac dealer wanted to charge me $900 to replace the two sensors. I bought them online for $200 for both and installed them myself in about an hour (I'm not mechanically inclined). I wrapped up everything with electrical tape just to make sure I do everything possible to keep moisture out.

Thanks Pilot-werx for helping with the location and thanks zerocarpileup for posting the diagnostic information!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.