03 Escalade leaking red oil....funny
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, 03 Escalade leaking red oil....funny in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I recently sold my 99 GMC Z71 about a month after buying 03 Escalade. I noticed the air filter on ...
    Rolex is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2008 Nissan Titan, 1996 Jeep Wrangler

03 Escalade leaking red oil....funny

I recently sold my 99 GMC Z71 about a month after buying 03 Escalade. I noticed the air filter on the Lade was the same part number as the GMC. I took the K&N out of the GMC, used the recharging kit to clean and re-oil the filter, and installed it in my Lade.

This week I notice some new spots in the garage....threw some water on them and watched the water bead up....I thought I had an oil leak. After closer examination found the oil was a ~weird~ red color. It turns out about half the oil I used leaked back out of the filter and slowly dripped onto the floor of the garage. No oil leak!!! I hope I'm not the only one who's done this?!

Moral: if you "recharge" and re-oil your K&N filter, prop it up and let it drain for a couple of days before you install it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

T_Dogg8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade EXT 2003 CTS

Re: 03 Escalade leaking red oil....funny

yeah.....that's definetely a good idea. from what some other people have said, if you put too much oil on the filter you can mess other things up. glad to hear you don't have an oil leak!!

MEJIA is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

When I clean and recharge my K&N filter I have never had this problem. Neither with the Escalade nor with other cars in which Ive used the K&N filters. I am glad to hear you dont have a oil leak!

Mejia

ICEMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade

I've never used the oil in the recharge kit.
    I had an Supercharged 96 Impala. I used K&N filters exclusively..
    However I felt that I did not need to oil the filter as the oil might cause additional problems..
    The oil is used to provide an additional medium to absorb dirt.
    However it is possible for the oil to create some problems in the MAF and engine area..
    Remember that the original filter just breathed air that is just air and not passed through a filter with oil a little contaminated air can mess something up pretty bad..
    Just remember to clean the filter more often and you should be fine.

Larry

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.