Navigation while driving - Page 7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Navigation while driving in Cadillac Escalade Forums; obxdiver, you are the man. I did this simple "hack" yesterday and it works perfectly. I opt'd to remove the ...
    jnrsesv is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 ESV Platinum

Re: Navigation while driving

obxdiver, you are the man. I did this simple "hack" yesterday and it works perfectly. I opt'd to remove the wire connector from the plastic housing rather than clipping the wire, this took a few more minutes but I feel well worth the time. I will say fellows that my NAV unit took a couple of "short" drives to correct the 15 second updates. I only drive 3 miles a day.

Thank you obxdiver!

Riverdance is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escolade EXT

Hey guys...Got the bezel off...Just removed the 3 screws and the radio is out...Cut the VSS wire (green and white)...Put everything back together..Turned on my navigation. It put my navigation to zone 4 and was not updating but i could put in addresses while in motion.....I had to change it back to zone 7...Drove appromimately 8 miles...BINGO....Everything is working...Hack successful on 2005 escolade ext delphi touchscreen....Thanks OBX!!!!!!

cskoenigM is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac Escalade ESV Luxury

Is there anyone in the Springfield, IL or St. Louis, MO area that can help me with installing this please?

TRosell14843 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 escalade Esv platinum

Can't wait to try with my 06 platinum. Will report

Mark Edward Morrison is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    has four green wires on two different connectors and on both, one is solid green and the other is green with a black stripe down it. Did the guy give me the wrong harnes or what? I have looked and looked and no where do I see a green wire with a white stripe? If I have the wrong harnes, where can I get the correct one to hook up my OEM touch navigation. Thanks in advance!!!

jnrsesv is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 ESV Platinum

Mark, our 2005 has the green/white wire. Look at the picture in the beginning of the thread and match up the holes to your wiring harness, you should see the correct wire.

I did like three times, I think he sent me a harnes for a non touch screen 2004 or so? Does anyone know if the old harness will work and if not, where can I get a new 2005 harness? Thanks in advance!!

flyingdutchman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Click on the following link I posted those pictures back in 2005 They show the wire location at the instrument cluster connector and the radio connector These connectors are part of the factory harness Why would you need a harness? My truck had the factory am/fm radio When I added the navigation radio it is just plug and play after you removed the theft-lock. The only thing I had to add was the gps antenna. If you look at the pictures I posted, the Vss wire is the green with white stripe located at row A pin 4 in the instrument cluster plug. On the radio plug it is located at row E pin 2.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...166#post256166

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by obxdiver View Post
    I would check your GPS antenna. Maybe it got unplugged when you pulled the radio out.
    Exactly what I was thinking.

Question though for those who have done this. I installed an 05 Escalade Nav into the Trailblazer I used to own. It didn't come with nav so no speed wire going to the radio harness. Until I installed that wire you're suggesting to clip I had issues with the GPS where it wasn't smooth operating. The vehicle position on the map jumped by increments rather than updated. The faster I drove the bigger the jumps in position. I think the GPS needs the vehicle speed reference to update the position reliably like in tunnels or tree covered areas. I spliced into the IPC and it operated smoothly as it should after that. I'm guessing the update rate of the GPS is complimented by the vehicle speed for a smoother position representation. If you rely solely on the GPS antenna then you're at the mercy of your surroundings like your XM radio that cuts out when driving through tunnels or wooded areas.

The lockout option is a pain but I understand why GM put it there. I contemplated putting in a rocker switch so a passenger could work the GPS while the vehicle is in motion.

wesyder is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
    Quote Originally Posted by wake

Exactly what I was thinking.

Question though for those who have done this. I installed an 05 Escalade Nav into the Trailblazer I used to own. It didn't come with nav so no speed wire going to the radio harness. Until I installed that wire you're suggesting to clip I had issues with the GPS where it wasn't smooth operating. The vehicle position on the map jumped by increments rather than updated. The faster I drove the bigger the jumps in position. I think the GPS needs the vehicle speed reference to update the position reliably like in tunnels or tree covered areas. I spliced into the IPC and it operated smoothly as it should after that. I'm guessing the update rate of the GPS is complimented by the vehicle speed for a smoother position representation. If you rely solely on the GPS antenna then you're at the mercy of your surroundings like your XM radio that cuts out when driving through tunnels or wooded areas.

The lockout option is a pain but I understand why GM put it there. I contemplated putting in a rocker switch so a passenger could work the GPS while the vehicle is in motion.
    Your correct, the gps for the nav is not always on it uses the speed sensor mainly and updates with the gps ant every few seconds thats why it wont track smoothly without the speed input, thats why a switch is recommended on this mod, turn off the speed wire enter your destination then turn back on

That's what I am talking about, my Escalade doesn't have navigation there for, why would my harness have the green wire with the white stripe on it when it wouldn't matter for my non-navigation head unit? That's what I am trying to ask, I just want it to work properly and don't want to put some sort of switch to have it work on the go. I can take a picture of he harness I have an gladly e-mail it to anyone that would like to see there is no green wire with a white stripe.

wesyder is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Edward Morrison
    That's what I am talking about, my Escalade doesn't have navigation there for, why would my harness have the green wire with the white stripe on it when it wouldn't matter for my non-navigation head unit? That's what I am trying to ask, I just want it to work properly and don't want to put some sort of switch to have it work on the go. I can take a picture of he harness I have an gladly e-mail it to anyone that would like to see there is no green wire with a white stripe.
    The ones without nav that have the wire is used for the speed controlled volume

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.