Navigation while driving - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Navigation while driving in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Originally Posted by oldworld Hey MBO: Where did you get that switch? Does it illuminate? Lastly, what made you install ...
    mbovinet is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade ESV Platinum

Re: Navigation while driving

Quote Originally Posted by oldworld View Post
    Hey MBO:
    Where did you get that switch? Does it illuminate?
    Lastly, what made you install it there and not higher up, say on the egde of the console....so maybe its alittle higher to reach while driving. Was there any reason to install it there?
    THANKS
    I got it at Radio Shack. It doesn't light up as I didn't want one that did. I didn't want to place it on the dash anywhere since it doesn't look factory. I just wanted it out of the way. I'm 6'2" and I've got no proplem reaching it while driving. Besides it doesn't get pushed too many times as we don't use the NAV a ton.

oldworld is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalde, 2007 DTS

Good response. I will get same one at radio shack and install in same exact spot. You just used regular 20 gauge wire? 18 gauge wire??

obxdiver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade ESV Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by Rcaddy View Post
    OBX -
    BTW - snipped the nav wire...no problem at all. It defaulted to a new "Zone" on the east coast but after I reset to my zone in the PNW it found me in no time flat...maybe 3 minutes.
    Maybe what Rcaddy says is a hint about the updating problem after the wire is cut.
    Maybe the people who's NAV stopped updating after you cut the wire was due to the wrong zone being selected after this was done.
    Maybe you can check this "oldworld" since you are going back in there.
    Cut the wire, and then reset your zone from the nav menus like Rcaddy had to do,.
    Then see if your nav starts updating again. Drive around town for 15 minutes.
    If not, put the switch in.

Rcaddy:
    What is "PNW" ? Pacific North West?

When I did cut my wire and the map would not update, the vehicle indicator on the nav showed me moving, just moving in the wrong state....lol
    The zone was correct for my state I believe zone 6. I did change it to zone 7 then back to zone 6 and it still said I was driving through a park with no roads in Washington DC.
    I drove the vehicle for three days waiting for it to "update" but it never did.
    That issue turned out to be an antenna wire issue that was quickly resolved with help from here. THANKS.
    When I cut either of the two green wires as suggested, One disconnected the right side of the vehicle audio. Hooked that back up. Cut the other, and the map was fine, but my vehicle stopped moving..............BUT I could enter addresses while I was driving.
    Solution for mine is simply add the switch listed above at the suggestion of MBO.
    Thats seems the only way it will work on my unit.

mbovinet is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade ESV Platinum

I used some 18 guage speaker wire I had lieing around

Quote Originally Posted by oldworld View Post
    When I cut either of the two green wires as suggested, .........
    No one has ever suggested to cut 2 different wires.
    It has always been only 1 wire. Connector C2 Pin E

Please don't tell people to cut the wrong wire. Pin H has never been discussed here. I think you tried it and it did not work.
    The diagram below shows you why it did not work.

Just to make sure, I will post the diagram again.

Rcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade

OBX - Those schematics should prove to be very helpful. LuxLife says it must be connected to the accy power right off the ignition switch. Now if I could just interpret the wire color. Since you're experienced could you tell me which wire (and color) that is coming off the ignition switch? That would be awesome.
    BTW - PNW is Pacific NW. You were right. Zone 2 I think.
    Appreciate your time.
    R

The previous print shows shows the ignition switch feed to the various fuses.

The below print shows what each of those fuses feed with wire colors.
    See if this is what you need

Rcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I get it. Will let you know the outcome. Thanks for the help.

No. not at all....never suggesting cutting both wires. I disconnected what I believed to be the right wire, and my nav stopped working. SO I THOUGHT I MADE A MISTAKE, so I reconnected that one and disconnected the other wire in that same harness, and the right side of the audio went dead. After my fiasco with the nav antenna, which you helped me with, I siply reconnected everything back to original to get things back working. This weekend, I will install a new switch as suggested above. That will do the trick.

Sorry for the miscommunication.

id4matt is offline Cadillac Owners Member

obxdiver... seems like you're the most knowledgeable about this topic here. Let me run something by you that I came across elsewhere. I heard that the VSS wire which you cut actually assists the NAV unit in determining your vehicle location (ie. VSS lets your NAV computer know how fast your traveling and calculates second by second where you "should" be located on the map, and uses the actual GPS signal less often). If this is true, it could explain why it would take some of these trucks longer to "relocate" themselves after the wire is snipped. However, I would think that you should notice a difference on your screen. Was your position update "smoother" before you cut the wire or does it look identical? I'm about ready to make the cut!

For mine it looks identical.
    I have driven out of state since I cut the wire and it all worked like it did before the wire was cut.
    The screen updates about 2-3 times per second.

flyingdutchman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

ridetoyoudie is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade Base

I just cut the exact green/white wire shown in the diagram in order to enter address while i drive. It did absolutly nothing to my navigation. How is that possible lol... do I have to drive around for a while in order for my nav to realize that the wire is cut?

Do you mean it stopped updating?
    It should make it possible to enter destinations while driving
    There are 2 green wires. Make sure you cut only one. The correct one is on C2 Pin E.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.