Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Diy - freshen up leather seats for $20 - no more ugly seat bottoms

140K views 177 replies 99 participants last post by  regranite 
#1 ·
OK, as a profession I do mobile auto reconditioning. I mostly fix scratches, dings, dents and exterior work for used car dealers and private owners who have lease returns or want their cars looking good. However, I do some interior reconditioning as well, so I thought I'd share a few pointers.

As everyone knows the Escalade seat bottoms wear like no tomorrow! Instead of spending $200+ (EACH!) on a new seat bottom, I'd rather freshen it up a bit, much like I do on lease returns and used cars. You will need a $9 bottle of SEM SOAP and an $11 bottle of SEM 149B SHALE (#17203) Classic Coat leather paint. You can find these at most auto body supply shops. SEM has a list of their distributors on their website.

Lets get started! Here's what you need:

^^^ Notice the slight discoloration? ^^^

You will need to thoroughly clean the leather to be painted to get rid of any conditioner or grease left behind. Dab a little on a heavy duty Blue paper towel and use a spray bottle to spray the leather with water. Mask the area you don't want over-spray.

You will want to apply 3-4 light coats. You may want to go slightly heavier to fill in the "cracks", NOT THE CREASES! If you look closely at the seats, you will notice the black "dirty" spots are actually really small cracks. Those will be filled in.

And the other side.... (sorry no before pics, it was just as dirty/worn as the driver side)

Pics don't do any justice. The difference in person is night and day! Although the problem with the creases will not be solved, it will definitely make you happier to live with. The paint is amazing, the blending properties within the SEM paint are unbelievable. You will notice the paint is really not a paint, but more like a dye. It just disappears into the leather and blends perfectly. You will not have to paint the entire seat. Just don't lay the paint on thick, and you will be pleased!

See less See more
#126 ·
I just did this on my Escalade with Shale Leather. All I can say is AMAZING!!! Great tip. I bought the cleaner and dye from Finish Master...they sell so much of it that they cant keep it...had to order but I got it next day. I bought one container of the cleaner and 2; cans of dye...about $40 A~Z. The 2: cans is enough to re-do an entire Escalade ESV.

My right rear 2nd row bucket was worn badly by the previous owner...I think that it carried a Child Safety seat and the friction over time wore it down. I cleaned it and applied 2: coats of the dye and it looks new...I mean BRAND NEW!!! Fantastic Product!!!

#140 ·
I've read all 10 pages of this thread, and still could not find a definitive answer of how long this fix lasts, beyond "a few weeks".

One person reported this to be a temporary fix at best, stating that within a year, his paint peeled.

The OP reported having to redo his over again after a period of time, I think a year.

Another person reported discovering his/her seats were "renewed" with paint by a dealer. The discovery was made while cleaning the seat.

But most of the reports have been "amazing" "awesome" etc. The only problem with those glowing reports is that they were all made within a week or two of application.

Therefore, I'm wondering if this fix is merely cosmetic "just before selling the vehicle" bandaid to mask the real problem... which is leather that is too thin/cheap to hold up over time.

If that is the case, I'm wondering if the $40.00 and the hour of time would be better spent toward a more durable seat cover? Perhaps one made by Katskin (sp?) ?

#141 ·
NYS said:
I've read all 10 pages of this thread, and still could not find a definitive answer of how long this fix lasts, beyond "a few weeks".

One person reported this to be a temporary fix at best, stating that within a year, his paint peeled.

The OP reported having to redo his over again after a period of time, I think a year.

Another person reported discovering his/her seats were "renewed" with paint by a dealer. The discovery was made while cleaning the seat.

But most of the reports have been "amazing" "awesome" etc. The only problem with those glowing reports is that they were all made within a week or two of application.

Therefore, I'm wondering if this fix is merely cosmetic "just before selling the vehicle" bandaid to mask the real problem... which is leather that is too thin/cheap to hold up over time.

If that is the case, I'm wondering if the $40.00 and the hour of time would be better spent toward a more durable seat cover? Perhaps one made by Katskin (sp?) ?
I would recommend the seat shop website

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.